edge pro to lo pro - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
rya

edge pro to lo pro

can you switch the bridge without any rerouting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Re: edge pro to lo pro

I'm pretty sure you can go from EP to LP with no work. But not the opposite. Rich (Ibanez Rules) could verify that and may even be listed somewhere on his web site.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 PM

I thought there has to be some routing regardless.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 PM

routing required
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:07 PM

i think the EP is smaller. do a search and you'll find a couple topics in the past about this question.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM

I'm doing a custom jem and got a EP 2 on Evil bay and had to router out a good bit to make it fit and move freely but the EP 2 is much bigger underneath than the EP .
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:58 PM

Edge pro to Lo/Pro... No problem at all.

Now here is where I expect all on Jemsite to come crashing in on me.

"Edge or Lo/Pro EDGE" to "EDGE Pro" Can be done with NO MODIFIACTIONS, with very suprising sucess. Understanding that you will have a slight limitation to pull up on the bar. Dives are un-ubstucted, and the pull up is still more than adequate for the average to above average trem user. I am a pretty extreme trem user, and I experienced no problems or disappointments with my experiment.

Here is a page that will show pictures of my EDGE PRO trem installed in a standard EDGE or LO/PRO Routed guitar.

http://www.theguitarboard.com/green/

I will upload video tomorrow.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM

None of the above post applies to EP2

Thanks
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Vendor

No, the EP will barely fit in the ED/LP rout, and will not function to dive or pull up. It may in your rout on the bodies you cut, but not on a factory Ibanez rout.

And the question was the opposite, and the answer remains the same. ED/LP will not fit into the EP rout as the front edges are much more rounded, you can't even get the knife edges to touch the studs. If you trim the noses on the trem back or rout the corners of the body, then it will fit and operate without hinderance.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 12:56 AM

I know that the question is EDGE PRO to LO/PRO, and my answer remains the same. Yes, I'm 90% sure that it can be done without modifying the trem cavity. The trem cavity on EDGE PRO guitars is HUGE in comparison to that of a LO/PRO or EDGE guitar. If my thinking is correct (which I will go to guitar center and buy a guitar tomorrow with an EDGE PRO trem, then replace it with the LO/PRO and EDGE trems to prove it) you should have MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM TO INSTALL A LO/PRO.

Okay.... although I was already 99% sure it was the case, I measured my bodies trem cavity against that of my factory JEM7V. My trem cavity was actually smaller by 2/1000ths of an inch (about the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper) in both left to right and front to back. Not enough to make a difference in my test. If anything, I guess it should mean that you would have better results in a real Jem Body.

In order to prove that it can be done I have installed an EDGE PRO into my JEM7V, with NO MODIFICATION. I will string it up in the morning, and make a video of it. PROVING that it can be done. Sorry Rich, but YES. You can install an EDGE PRO into a LO/PRO EDGE cavity. I don't know why anyone would ever want to replace and EDGE or LO/PRO with and EDGE PRO, but if you did want to, it could be done with ZERO routing or modifying.

Now to further clarify, I'm not saying that you have 100% pull up on the bar, but you do have MORE THAN ENOUGH for the average trem user. Probably like 40-50% of the pull up. As far as a dive, my trem arm actually hits the pick guard before it bottoms out in a dive.

I feel bad doing it to my Jem, but I had to do it to prove that IT CAN BE DONE. As you can see in the pics NO PROBLEM. As you'll be able to hear in the video, you can get plenty of play room.

Here are pics again.....

http://www.theguitarboard.com/white/

Here are some other freebies:

Jem555 has so far accepted every Ibanez trem I own, and is fully functional:
EDGE
LO/PRO EDGE
EDGE PRO
TRS (I think that's what the one it comes with is called?)

Jem7VWH will accept:
EDGE
LO/PRO EDGE
EDGE PRO (with minor limitations on the pull up)

I can only guess(I haven't tried installing them on ALL Jems), but I'm going to say that the JEMS with AANJ neck joints will have similar results as JEM7V.

So I guess to close (because I'm not going to argue this with Rich or anyone else), I would say TRY IT! The worst that could happen is it doesn't work AND THEN you can route it till your hearts content. However, if you just start routing because SOMEONE told you to, you might be risking UN-NECESSARILY damaging a guitar you love.

Good luck, and I'll post the vids tomorrow (if anyone cares).

The Legacy

Last edited by thelegacy; 12-16-2006 at 01:02 AM.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 AM

so routing required if i wanted to this and i wanted same amt of pullup?
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:14 AM

Again, try it first. If you don't like the results, then you've wasted about 7 minutes of your time.

The Legacy
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:50 AM

I have an '03 vwh that I want to put an original Edge in. How hard would this be?
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:03 AM

I'm sure Rich will disagree with me (it's funny how often he does), but in my opinion, EDGE and LO/PRO EDGE are interchangable.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegacy View Post
I'm sure Rich will disagree with me (it's funny how often he does), but in my opinion, EDGE and LO/PRO EDGE are interchangable.
I think he's even said that himself a few time, but only on a JEM where the Lion Claw route allows for the longer locking screws.

Heck I'm probably wrong.

Tags
aanj neck , aanj neck joint , custom jem , double neck , edge pro trem , edge trem , edge trems , ibanez trem , neck joint , neck joints , pro edge , steve vai , string lock , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode