Edge Pro Locking Studs Help - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Edge Pro Locking Studs Help

First off I'm a newb to the site and have searched 75 or so pages looking for info on this but can't seem to find what I need. Even checked Youtube but found nothing on the subject.

Here's my situation:
I have an older JS100 and I'm looking to install an Edge Pro trem. I have seen mention of the locking stud mod but I am completely in the dark about what it really is and why it's needed let alone how to perform the mod. I am also in the dark about which shims are needed to match the neck radius on the JS100.

The forum provides a lot of insight and help so I hoping someone could explain what I need to know or point me to a source for help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Re: Edge Pro Locking Studs Help

Rich has a great explaination on his site:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stud_mod_03.htm

Not done this on a JS but I did do this on my 03 JEM and Universe and tuning stability is much better.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:20 PM

In addition to what was said above, you may also need to make the trem cavity bigger to accommodate an Edge Pro.

I had a JS100 at one and started looking into upgrading it. By the time I started factoring all the costs (time and money) relative to the end product that I would end up having, I decided my best option was to sell my JS100 and use that money along with the money I would have put towards the upgrades to buy a used JS1000. In the end, I probably spent a few hundred bucks extra and have a far superior guitar that I'm completely happy with. If I ever decided to part with my JS1000, I will probably likely get all or most my money back (since it was a used guitar purchase to begin with) whereas you likely wouldn't recoup most of your costs if you later decided to re-sell the JS100. Unless you are seeing this as a bit of a hobby/fun project which has its own merits, I would recommend selling your JS100 and finding a used JS1000 or JS1200.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Do you have an Edfge II or a RTS trem in you JS100?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Matt, I didn't think to look at Rich's site for the answer - it should have been obvious.

Jemiester, I hear what you're saying and thanks for the advice but I've already got the trem, upgraded the electronics, pickups, replaced the tone pot with a toggle for coil splitting, reftretted the board and sanded the neck to perfection. It actually plays and sounds as good as the 1000 I lost in a fire back in '08 but the trem sucks a$$.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Do you have an Edfge II or a RTS trem in you JS100?
It's a Lo-TRS Trem II.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGoodluck View Post
Thanks Matt, I didn't think to look at Rich's site for the answer - it should have been obvious.

Jemiester, I hear what you're saying and thanks for the advice but I've already got the trem, upgraded the electronics, pickups, replaced the tone pot with a toggle for coil splitting, reftretted the board and sanded the neck to perfection. It actually plays and sounds as good as the 1000 I lost in a fire back in '08 but the trem sucks a$$.
The trem does suck. I seem to remember looking into swapping it out with an Edge Pro before as well. The locking studs for the Edge Pro will make a vast improvement in the tuning stability.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM

I've only had one guitar with a Lo TRS, JS100.
I never pulled the studs or put in a different trem.
If the anchors are different, they'll have to go.

You'll have to wrap a 1/2 or 3/4 board in a towel and set it on the top of the guitar.
Then thread the stud out enough so you can get a claw hammer on it.
Then pull it out slowly.
If the hole is smaller you'll need a 10mm metric drill bit to open it up for the new anchors.

I got a cheap 10mm drill bit from China on Ebay for like $3.
I use it to clean paint out of the stud holes after they get painted.

I keep an out beat up stud around, a long one from an old RG from the 80s.
I put it in the new stud to pound it in all the way without hitting the body.
I also use it to pull studs from bodies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Sebastian thanks for the heads up and tips on pulling the anchor if that's needed - I really hope it isn't. Seems it would be pretty easy to oblong the anchor hole and make a mess of things....

Tags
edge pro , js100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode