Edge pro tuning help! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 AM
HeadCaseChris

Angry Edge pro tuning help!

I recently purchased a new jem7v that had been set up perfectly by the guitar tech in the shop. So far i'm loving this guitar. However I recently made the mistake of trying to tune to drop d and in the process completely screwed up the tuning. I have followed the guides on this site and on youtube but I can't get it back in tune! and to make things worse my high e string keeps breaking- I've allready gone through two packs of strings ffs! HELP?!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM

Reviews: 23
Talking Re: Edge pro tuning help!

If you wanted a guitar that could be drop tuned, you might have purchased the wrong one. Anyway, relax. Here's what you should do. If you have a complete spare set of strings, put them on the guitar. Remove all the old strings you've used up all at once. I repeat, all at once. Put these on the guitar, stretch them a bit (pull on them with fairly strong force, but not enough as to break them) near the 12th fret so tuning is easier. Set the fine tuners to the middle of their tuning range. Now, starting from the thickest string, tune it up to E. then move on to the other string, tune it up to A, and so on and so forth. (you'll need an electronic tuner for this).

If the strings touch the frets and aren't making a discernible sound by this stage, just tune up each string evenly until the bridge raises, and the string pitches could be detected by the tuner. Again, start at the thickest string, tune it up to pitch, then the next, and so on and so forth. After tuning the high e, go back to the thickest one and you will find that it is no longer in tune. Just continue tuning the strings from the thickest to the thinnest and you will notice that each time you go back to the thicker strings, they go out of tune less and less until it reaches the point where all strings are in tune.

However, while doing all of this, you must check the angle of your bridge. it should be parallel to the body of your guitar. If the bridge pulls forward a bit too much, you must tighten the two screws holding the spring claw at the back of your instrument. If it's too low, loosen them. Turn them in increments of quarter turns (trust me, a little turning goes a long way) and make sure you turn both screws evenly. Usually stock strings are a bit thicker than the gauge 9 strings one could buy from music stores, so the screw turning is often needed.

After a couple of screw turns and tunings, you will be able to tune your guitar. However, it won't be the end of it yet. Carefully lock the pressure pads near the headstock, and recheck tuning. Adjust on the fine tuners as necessary. Try divebombing and pulling up on the tremolo bar a couple of times and see if it goes out of tune. If it does, unlock the nut, retune, then repeat. If not, put it in the case and wait until tomorrow.

When the next day comes, recheck the tuning of the guitar. This is usually the time it takes to allow the truss rod in the neck to resettle. If it went out of tune, just retune it and you're done. If it didn't, then congratulations.

Hope this effing long article could at least give you an idea of what to do.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Question Re: Edge pro tuning help!

Thanks for the help, however I read somewhere that taking all the strings off at the same time can damage the neck is there any truth in this?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Edge pro tuning help!

So, are you wanting to retune to standard or drop D? If standard, and you haven't made any spring claw adjustments, you should be able to simply take the strings off and put a new set on (try to use the same gauge and it'll be even simpler). Bear in mind that you should "block the trem" (don't allow the springs to pull it down into the body as you take your strings off. There is no damage to your neck by removing the strings for a change, only if you left it like that for a couple months or something could you potentially run into a problem.
If you want it in Drop D or a heavier/lighter gauge of strings, 1. be ready to lose an hour or so of your life doing this, even after you get pretty good at it and then 2. follow the instructions on the Ibanezrules Tech page. Here's the link for tuning: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning.htm
This is an excellent walk-through with pictures and will help to explain how to best restring from scratch. There's a wealth of other information on there for setting up your guitar as well, with pics for a lot of things. If it seems overwhelming, take it back to your tech and have him walk you through it, showing you how to do it (that's what I did to learn how to change a string on a floating bridge).
As for your breaking a string, where is it breaking? at the nut? at the tuning peg? at the bridge? It's possible that it's breaking from tension but it's also possible to have developed a bur or something at one of the strings points of contact. Because of that problem, I'd recommend you take it in to a tech, have them show you how to do it and make sure there's no burs or points that are causing the string to break prematurely. It's a vital skill that you be able to restring your own guitar but floating trems are also not for the impatient or faint of heart...the price we pay for dive bombs and all the other whammy tricks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Talking Re: Edge pro tuning help!

thanks man really appreciate your help i'll try it tonight!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Question Re: Edge pro tuning help!

Right, so now ive got my new set of strings on and followed all these steps but i still cant get it in tune some of the the notes on certain strings are out of reach and i would have to tune them either ridiculously low or high to get the right pitch what do i do?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 PM

You say drop d tuning, but do you mean the whole guitar is tuned to DADGBE or to DGCFAD? IF its down one whole step you will need to readjust the spring tension of your tremolo by tightening the two screws in the back.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 AM

For me floyd rose is a night mare when it comes to tunning and changing strings, thats why i love my fender and gibson
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelybutterfly View Post
For me floyd rose is a night mare when it comes to tunning and changing strings, thats why i love my fender and gibson
Its pretty basic once you learn how to properly set it up.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM

I just tuned mine up tonight. The floating bridge is new to me too, but I just took my time and used the process outlined here and it tuned right up.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
I just tuned mine up tonight. The floating bridge is new to me too, but I just took my time and used the process outlined here and it tuned right up.
Floating bridges are a nightmare for newbies, but it gets easier with time. Easy when you know how.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 PM

I have a RG1527M with the same inferior Edge Pro trem. Worst Trem. The mounting seems to be the problem since my guitar doesn't stay in tune. I use Ibanez RGs (with LO-PROs) since 1996 and never had any problems with tuning but with that Edge pro it is a real nightmare. For newbies it must be even worse.
NO wonder the new JS and JEMS went back to the 'good old system' - although I didn't have my hands on one of them yet and can't say anything about the quality...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Vendor

Maybe you should figure out what your problem is and fix it, because the EP is IMO a much more advanced trem than the Edge.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 AM

Reviews: 11

Inferior edge pro. Now that's first time I've heard that one. I'd be curious to see what's wrong with your edge pro's setup, when you say that it won't hold tuning and it's a nightmare.. Especially if you're used lo-pro edges before. I know I had no problems with my edge pro whatsoever.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe you should figure out what your problem is and fix it, because the EP is IMO a much more advanced trem than the Edge.
Maybe it is. I have three Ibanez (and had more but sold) wit LoPro and 2 with The EP. The first thing I noticed with the EP was that the Plastic things on the tremolo arm worn out much faster that on the LOPRO. With my latest RG1527M I couldn't find out what was wrong but I found the two screws which keep the knife edge are very lose in their body counterparts. I read something about a locking stud mod which should be done to keep the EP stable but I was so fed up with that axe I sold it today and bought a 1997 Sabre 540. With a LoPro. It works fine and fun. Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me the newer Ibanez are not as good as the older ones...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode