Edge Pro vs Lo Pro - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
V

Edge Pro vs Lo Pro

Edge Pro vs Lo Pro

Which one do you like?

For me, I love the out look of the Edge Pro. The out look is much cooler than the Lo Pro.

Anyone can tell me what is the different beside the out look?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 02:04 PM

I loved the edge on my 550 years ago but I haven't got it now, soon getting a 777DY so that should bring back the memories.

Now I have the lo-pro on a universe and I'm not that keen, don't get me wrong I love it, just not as much as the one on the 550.

I also have a TRS on a 7420 (I got for a bargain) and I must be just lucky cos its as stable and functional as the lo-pro.

Check here for more on the bridges
http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/trems.htm
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 02:45 PM

I prefer the Lo Pro, simply because I think it looks better. I've found no differences in function between the Edge Pro with the stud mod and the original Edge series.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Vendor

More particulars players are the ones that typically notice the lack of locking studs. The more unpredictable and inconsistent return and fluctuations from pull up return [which 75% of players never notice anyway] are quite aparent to them. Some will show remarkable return, some are pathetic, YMMV.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 06:21 PM

up till last month i had an RG570 with an Edge... now i have a 3120 with a LoPro.... mmm im not sure which felt better, right now i would say the Edge, but maybe i just have to get used to the Lo Pro...
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:07 AM

i just tried out the Lo-ProII on an Ann. Edition Floral Jem- i didn't even know that this trem existed!! are they going to release this trem on any other Jems or Prestige guitars? this trem ROCKED!!!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:20 AM

Lo-Pro Edge FAN here!!! "Raises his hand"

Regards

André

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
i just tried out the Lo-ProII on an Ann. Edition Floral Jem- i didn't even know that this trem existed!! are they going to release this trem on any other Jems or Prestige guitars? this trem ROCKED!!!
Actually, that's an Edge Pro, not a Lo Pro II.

There is no Lo-Pro II

The new trems are Edge Pro (the good one) and the Edge Pro II (replacement for the TRS bridges).

The FP Ann. comes with an Edge Pro. Good bridge, but some suffer due to the change from locking, to non-locking studs.

Read up on it on Rich's page and the other threads on JemSite discussing them.

Mic
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:50 AM
RCB

Edge Pro, Edge or Lo Pro? Mmmmmm ZR!

I love the Edge and the Lo Pro, but I was amazed by the ZR. I own several jems and UVs, but was curious about the ZR so I bought a 2003 Korean made S470 with the ZR for U$S230. The guitar has some construction and finish issues (mainly in the finish of the frets and the binding) but is stays in tune perfectly, as any of my jems/UVs or even better.

Th feel of the tremolo is different to the Edge or the Lo Pro. It feels less "solid" but much spongier. It gives you a sensation of effortless freedom you dont get with the other tremolos.

This is the first Korean made Ibanez Ive ever owned, and Im keeping it (change of pups, refinishing of the neck, and a custom paint job will be performed to bring it up to level with its room mates)

I think the ZR will be a one way ticket for a lot of people. Although I trend to be very critical, I have to congratulate Ibanez this time. Its a shame it only comes equiped with the S line though (I guess I cant help being so demanding!!!!)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 07:52 AM

i do need to read up on the newer trems. i have and Edge Pro on my RG570 and a Lo Pro on my 7DBK. the trem on the 15th ann Floral is not like either one. it is REALLY flat and looks very different. i've never seen that trem before. i guess it would be a matter of contacting Rich for the locking stud replacements to solve and deficencies in the Edge Pro.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
i do need to read up on the newer trems. i have and Edge Pro on my RG570 and a Lo Pro on my 7DBK. the trem on the 15th ann Floral is not like either one. it is REALLY flat and looks very different. i've never seen that trem before. i guess it would be a matter of contacting Rich for the locking stud replacements to solve and deficencies in the Edge Pro.
Edge Pro on an RG 570?

I think you're mistaken.

The Edge Pro and II did not come out until 2003, when Ibanez changed the model numbers on the RG 500 + line to 1500 +.

What year is your 570?
If it has the "whale tail" style trem and says anything about Floyd Rose on it, then it's a Edge, not an Edge Pro.

Look here for the "Original" Edge trems and Lo Pro Edge.

http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/trems.htm

Look here for the Edge Pro and Pro II trems.

http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/

Mic
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 07:54 AM

you are correct 'o great one. mine is an Edge - not the Edge Pro. my DBK has the Lo-Pro.
are there any other models with the ProII trem other than the Ann. Floral?

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:17 AM

That's a Pro, Not a Pro II on the FP.

The Pro II is the Korean made "cheap" version. I think they should have named it something else, but it's not my call. ;-)

All new models (1500 and up) come with the Edge Pro. Ibanez no longer makes the Original Edge or Lo-Pro Edge.

www.ibanez.com and you can see what models have it.

And you can search this forum, there has been much discussion about it.

Mic
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 04:38 PM

Reviews: 1
Well,
Nobody came to the point of this topic

Edge Pro, or Lo-pro edge?

just curious, since I have lo-pro edge on all my 7gtrs,
and never tested the Edge pro.

Tony
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 05:22 PM

Okay, based on my limited experience with the Edge Pro, and what' I've read here and on other sites . . . (and I suggest you do the same)

Lo-Pro Edge;
Pros; solid, proven design . . . its "low" profile and stays in tune . . . locking studs is a major +++++

Cons; None (in my opinion), unless you have a habit of dropping the lock-blocks in the saddles. They can fall out if you turn the guitar over with the screwed turned out.

Edge Pro;
Pros; solid design . . . lock blocks won't fall out . . . even flatter than the Lo-Pro

Cons' NO LOCKING STUDS!!! (but this can be fixed) . . . saddle inserts can sometimes be badly pressed into the saddle, causing bad to awful string to string height. (but it seems most of the new ones have this fixed)

Both will stay in tune (and as Rich has said on his site, even without locking studs low-neutral will usually come back to tune just fine and many players will never notice the high-neutral after a pull up), both seem to give about the same sustain and tone (you can't swap them on the same guitar to really have a true sustain/tone comparison) and they both use the same type of bar, so finding replacements for them is easy.

How's that? :-D

Mic

Tags
edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , music store , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro edge , trs bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode