edge susting block... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

edge susting block...

What year did the sustain block get shortened? and why?
also, whats with the backstop decal on the early models, just means that guitar came with a backstop?
and do the longer sustain blocks give more sustain, or any advantages or any disadvantages?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Re: edge susting block...

Oh, and how do you tell if an Edge's knife edges are in good condition? what do you look for? sharpness? infact if someone could post a picture of a bad condition knife edge and a prime condition one, that would be extremely helpful.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM

When the Edge first arrived (1986?), it was used in top-mount applications, so the block needed to be longer to reach the spring cavity. The shorter block would have first appeared in 1987 with the RG/Jem line since they're routed and the bridge sits lower in the body, and I don't know if the long block version was produced past the point. I thought the RG essentially replaced the guitar that the top-mount Edge was used on, but I'm not positive of that.

One disadvantage to a long block on a routed body is that it is impossible to install a spring cavity cover. The springs also end up at a more severe angle, but this doesn't seem to affect playability too terribly. I have a chrome long-block Edge on an RG520 body and beyond not being able to install a cover, it works perfectly fine.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

ahh very interesting thank you, what about the knife edges?
oh and has the lo-pro ever been know to have better tuning stability than the origional edge? or are they pretty much the same in that aspect?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
ahh very interesting thank you, what about the knife edges?
oh and has the lo-pro ever been know to have better tuning stability than the origional edge? or are they pretty much the same in that aspect?
There's been plenty of debate on this site over whether the Original or Lo-Pro is better for stability, appearance, feel, you name it. I certainly wouldn't try to give the definitive answer on the subject, but I know that both can be set up very well and stable from my own personal experience. Any differences between them will likely be very minor.

I don't have a lot of experience with dealing with knife edges myself, but Rich certainly does.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:31 PM

My 2 cents on stability. I have had all 3 versions(original Edge, LoPro and new Edge Pro) work great and poor on different guitars. Seems to me that it is more a function of the knife edges, stud condition and maybe the position of the north star on some days. Once in a while I get a setup that has WAY more flutter which USUALLY means more stability too(maybe due to less friction between moving parts).

Tags
cavity cover , spring cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode