EdgePro compromises? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

EdgePro compromises?

I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death already, but I'm a newbie here. I own several Jems with the original Edge trem and a couple with the Lo-Pro Edge (also I have one UV with the 7-saddle version of each). I actually prefer the original Edge for some reason, but I absolutely love both trems, especially compared to the simpler Fender-style Floyds.

I am considering buying a new Jem, wither a VSBL or a DBK, but I seem to have detected some dissatisfaction from people about the new EdgePro trem system. I've heard people say that Ibanez compromised on the new bridge in order to get out from under some licensing fees to Floyd Rose. I definitely do not want to buy a new Jem if the EdgePro is inferior. I know it has the new feature of supposedly returning to perfect tune after a dive, but honestly, I never had a single problem with the Edge or Lo-Pro, so it ain't broke, in my experience, thus I don't see a need to fix it.

Would I be better off trying to find an '02 DBK or an '03 VSBL with the Lo-Pro, or are the complaints I've heard about the '04 EdgePro premature? I'd love to hear from anyone who has played with the new system, especially if you also own Jems with the older trems. Thank you very much for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:45 AM

Ibanez didn't do a thing to duck the FR patents. Rather, the patents have expired. The only con about the Edge Pro seems to be the lack of locking studs, but this negative can be taken care of pretty easily. (more info)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 AM

Re: EdgePro compromises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
Ibanez didn't do a thing to duck the FR patents. Rather, the patents have expired. The only con about the Edge Pro seems to be the lack of locking studs, but this negative can be taken care of pretty easily. (more info)
Hi,

Can you elaborate on the lack of locking studs? I'm incorrectly thinking you meant locking nut, but obviously your not and I couldn't find anything out about in on the following website...

http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/

Cheers,
Matt
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 AM

In his quote click on where it says "more info" at the end to go to Rich's website and read about the locking stud mod for the Edge Pro.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakakanagen View Post
In his quote click on where it says "more info" at the end to go to Rich's website and read about the locking stud mod for the Edge Pro.
Damn, this is an old thread. Anyway, what he said.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Eco

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspaven View Post
Hi,

Can you elaborate on the lack of locking studs? I'm incorrectly thinking you meant locking nut, but obviously your not and I couldn't find anything out about in on the following website...

http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/

Cheers,
Matt
No he meant locking studs, theres a bunch of info on Ibanezrules.com

They basically give the trem posts a more firm base in the wood as far as i can tell.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Ditto on the locking studs. More likely to be an issue down the road. I think a new guitar will be fine and the locking studs are available from Ibanez Rules or most Ibanez dealers. You must replace the inserts (bushings) as well because the newer bushings are bottomless so the locking screw would have nothing but wood to tighten against(which would not work well at all). IMHO, having used all the Edge variants, I like the Edge Pro as much as any other with one proviso. I still cut the ball off the string as it saves time. To insert or remove an uncut string, you have to back the allen screw out sevral turns(and back in when you clamp). It is faster for me to back the screw 2 turns and cut the ball. Also, if you break a string and the ball end drops into the trem cavity, it is a bear to get the broken string out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 PM

Much less invasive way than removing/replacing the bushings (Rich and I were apparently coming up with this solution at the same time, and it's what I did for my RG1527RB, my first guitar with an Edge Pro on it) - chop down the correct size set screw, nice and low-profile, and spin it on down near to the bottom of the body insert/bushing. Viola - you now have a solid platform against which to lock the stud lock screw, and of course, I replaced the studs with locking ones =].
Completely stabilized my 1527's tuning/bridge function.
And, if someone wants to try their patience and be cheaper about it, you could actually, with some fiddling, just lock the existing stud against the set screw, but it would be a BEAR of a job just to adjust the stud height, as you'd have to remove the bridge, remove the stud, change the position of the set-screw, and then spin the stud back in, lock it against the set screw (hoping that it doesn't spin along with the stud!) and try again.
Repeat as necessary.

I'd always opt for replacing with locking studs, although I was a bit fascinated by the cosmo-black finish of the new studs on my instrument.

Tags
edge trem , floyd rose , ibanez dealer , locking nut , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

edgepro how long last

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode