EMG'S in a Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

EMG'S in a Jem?

I tried searching and didnt find anything but does anyone have experience with emg pickups in a JEM? A project im working on and I was thinking about and 81 in the bridge, SV in the middle and a 61 in the neck. I know Dimarzio's are ideal but I like to experiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Re: EMG'S in a Jem?

I love the Bartolinis in mine. Not the same as EMGs, but they have a very similar look if the look was what you wanted.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
JKD

I had EMG set in an RG550...it sounded monstrous...heavy but very tight and defined sound...wicked lead tone and very full sounding ..... and that was EMG81 in the bridge, can't remember if it was 85,81 or 60 in the neck tho'

It's worth a try for sure.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
MFB

My only quarrel with EMG is that all they're really good ones are Active

Try Seymour Duncan's, maybe a Dimebucker/Cool Rails/Jazz set up for an all genre set up
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 PM

offcourse it can.why not?most people dont like it in jems because it isnt original or just for the looks.but the sound is very good.i like it a lot.but i dont mess with a jem.buy a 550 and mess it up just how you like it.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 PM

I banged some in my VDY for a while , very big and different shall we say !

Go for it .
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM

EMG's in a Jem?! That's just seems so wrong!!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN View Post
EMG's in a Jem?! That's just seems so wrong!!!

Maybe by the collector / keeping it original point of view, however if it's the feel of the guitar and the playability which is unmatched [which it generally is!] and you're looking for a different sound.. sure go ahead and change the pups EXPERIMENT!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM

THreadstarter, I say you should damn well do it, full stop. If only because it gets really tiring to see the amount of 'OMG PASSIVE PICKUPS ARE TEH BETTORS' elitism that seeps out of this place sometimes.

Of course, my actual advice is this: If you LIKE EMG's, and you LIKE Jems, then wouldn't combining the two logically create a GREAT instrument for you? And if you don't like one or the other, what DO you like that you could use, to create a great instrument for you?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 PM

i have a jem dbk7. I replaced the crappy breeds. I have a Emg 60 in the neck, SA in the middle, and a EMG 81 in the bridge. I will never ever use another pickup ever again.
DO IT, you won't be disapaointed.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
THreadstarter, I say you should damn well do it, full stop. If only because it gets really tiring to see the amount of 'OMG PASSIVE PICKUPS ARE TEH BETTORS' elitism that seeps out of this place sometimes.
Firstly, there are hundreds of passive pickup manufacturers out there and a small handful of active pickup makers; that accounts for the overwhelming majority of passive fans. There is simply a ton more choices with passives than with actives.

And no one on this board talks like that
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 PM

If I had a model that everyone and his brother has like the VWH or the tar dipped ugg monster I say go for it Couldnt hurt.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Firstly, there are hundreds of passive pickup manufacturers out there and a small handful of active pickup makers; that accounts for the overwhelming majority of passive fans. There is simply a ton more choices with passives than with actives.

And no one on this board talks like that
I know its not as extreme as all that, but lots of people like active pickups all over the world. I don't as a matter of course, but at least I know what they're like and are good for in certain situations. Lots of advice given here though is very biased not just towards passive but towards Dimarzio above all else. I know they're great, I use them myself, but there are other options and theres no way you can just say one pickup type or manufacturer is 'Ideal' as the original post stated. That one manufacturer makes a lot of pickups and theres lots of other manufacturers who make lots more, passive and active or whatever, and I'm sure you could find great and awful pickups from all of them for YOUR tastes.

And thats an attitude that gets thrown around a lot here. Never explicitly or violently but there IS this unspoken trend and feeling here that passives are best no matter what, and dimarzio's are the best passive, no matter what, and I don't like seeing people limit their choices based on a gut feeling they've never personally quantified.

----------------
Now playing: Daisuke Ishiwatari, Koh-Ichi Seiyama - Momentary Life
via FoxyTunes
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:01 AM

It's like what my pops says, "Play what you like and forget the hype." Just do it and if it sucks then change it, but it's your tone. Do it.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I know its not as extreme as all that, but lots of people like active pickups all over the world. I don't as a matter of course, but at least I know what they're like and are good for in certain situations. Lots of advice given here though is very biased not just towards passive but towards Dimarzio above all else. I know they're great, I use them myself, but there are other options and theres no way you can just say one pickup type or manufacturer is 'Ideal' as the original post stated. That one manufacturer makes a lot of pickups and theres lots of other manufacturers who make lots more, passive and active or whatever, and I'm sure you could find great and awful pickups from all of them for YOUR tastes.

And thats an attitude that gets thrown around a lot here. Never explicitly or violently but there IS this unspoken trend and feeling here that passives are best no matter what, and dimarzio's are the best passive, no matter what, and I don't like seeing people limit their choices based on a gut feeling they've never personally quantified.
Well...how do you know that theyve never personally quantified it? That's no less ignorant than the people that subscribe to this "unspoken trend". I personally have tried every EMG humbucker ever and hated them all and stayed exclusive to Dimarzio. Not cuz its a trend but because I simply disliked the sound that EMGs had. Recently, I bought a custom strat with the EMG DG20 Gilmour set installed and I absolutely LOVE them. Ive found for my personal tastes that cleans are done best by actives with active controls, but I prefer passives for distorted leads/soloing. To each his/her own. Also, you need to realize that this is primarily an IBANEZ forum. Ibanez and Dimarzio have been paired for years and years, so its not a trend but rather just the way things are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode