Emotional aspects of selling a Jem/Universe - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Emotional aspects of selling a Jem/Universe

Hi, all, from a *new poster:

* was registered before but I think my account was deleted when the board was re-done

I am jem and universe enthusiast (of course), like all of you, and really enjoy reading the posts and learning.

I recently had to sell my Jem777Pbk and now perhaps my UV777BK. Having bought and sold a lot of guitars, I am still amazed at how difficult it is to part with a Jem or Universe. I never play it anymore, so it sits on the stand- however, I can't bring myself to sell it.

How do you guys overcome similar difficulty when selling your guitars? Emotionally I mean. Grit yer teeth and just do it? Totally silly, isn't it?

I hope this is an appropriate first post!

Cheers, all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 10:08 PM

I understand completely. I recently had to sell a RG570 and it really hurt!(even considering that I kept a RG1077 and a UVMC)

Personally, I wouldn't sell a guitar unless I really need the money, or need the money to buy another guitar on opportunity.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 04:17 AM

The only cure for this is time!!!
I sold 2 guitars before 2 years.
Now i have uv777bk '03 (amazing guitar)
but believe me the pain is still here
Now I must sell my old RG to buy new pups for UV.
Yesterday i spent many hours with RG and i couldn't take my hands of this guitar.
So you see this is one of the hardest decisions for most of guitarists
Wish you Luck!
M A R I O
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 AM

I've sold more JEMs & UVs over the years that I've become numb to the pain of parting with them The swirls were probably the hardest to sell, but...I simply decided that if it wasn't a guitar that I could comfortably gig with, then I couldn't justify having it.

I've since purchased guitars that sound and play far better IMHO, but the JEMs definitely have something about them that makes them "special". I had 13 JEMs & UVs at one time. Of those, only the VWH and the DNA remain (and the VWH will probably be the next to go!).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 11:11 AM

Selling great guitars hurts and I've swapped some in my day...not nearly to vaijem777's standards, few of us can equal that!!!

I view them more from a utilitarian perspective. I don't have any guitars that sound alike tonally, they all give me different textures, some more subtle than others. I think I've got a good smattering of tones and, for now, I am satisfied with my collection.

The VWH is just a all out freakin in your face rock machine, but that neck position is awesome with my boogie for the bluesy thick-toned sounds.

The UVPWH, other than the low B, has a much fatter tone than any of my other guitars. It's scooped and just huge sounding....again, love the neck position. This has the most "Les Paul" sound but without all the mids.

The JPM-P4, loads of sustain, completely different sounding due to the pickups and the switching. LOVE THAT NECK!!!! This guitar excels at just about everything, and clean it is nearly unmatched.

RG-ART: This thing is like looking at a naked lady...you just can't stop. Tone wise it is more similar to the JPM but has more snap to it, must be from the very thick top and the maple neck. Articulation in the sound is unmatched and it is extremely balanced across the tonal spectrum. Simply an amazing instrument.

Maple necked strat: This one has an alder body, fralin vintage hot pickups and a callaham bridge. It's classic strat, the pickups rule and the bridge adds an incredible amount of sustain and clarity...probably the best money I've ever spent on guitar equipment (all of $95!!)

Taylor 714CE: the most beautiful thing I have (other than my wife and kids)

Yamaha Silent Nylon Stringed Thing: Great practice guitar/toy that sounds incredible plugged in. This thing is just fun, fun, fun...gotta get to learning some flaminco tunes.

The only thing I would add now is a hollowbody jazz box of some sort to round out the sounds.

I guess the point of all this is to say that if you approach buying and selling/trading from a "what tones can I add to the collection" it takes some of the sting out of parting with a great guitar. It also ensures that you play what you have more consistently. If all the guitars in your collection give you a different voice, then it will inspire you to play more creatively and expressively to bring out the best of those voices. Blah blah blah.....you get the idea. At any rate, that's just my take on making sense out of all the buying and selling. My wife gives me tons of grief about it, mostly in a poking fun sort of way (she's actually very supportive) but I tell her that guitars are for me what shoes and purses are to her. You can't wear the same pair of shoes with every outfit!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 12:09 PM

It can be very tough, but if you've ever had one stolen that's a complete other world of hurt. Although, if you've had one stolen selling another is easier, I think. You tend not to become emotionally attached to all of them after that; you see them more as tools.

jim
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 01:25 PM

I dont think anything could stop me getting emotionally attached to a great guitar... i just love having something to take out my emotions on (whether they be good or bad); every guitar is more that just something for making noise.
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 03:49 PM

Bought and sold many axes - all have gone- but the Jems remained. Never waisted a thought about selling one of these.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 06:41 PM

There's a few I sold/traded in for, that I wish I had back. But the one's I ended up with are well worth it.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:10 AM

I sold a 777VBK and a 555... to buy my 7VWH
but I still miss my 777VBK and now i'm looking for one once in a while off evilbay in germany or else
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:11 PM

Iīve sold a Universe ī97BK, RG7-621 and RG505. All without having any uncomfortable emotions. Actually, I was pleased to get rid of those.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 07:32 PM

I traded away the first Ibanez I ever purchased; it was an '88 Jem77FP, bought brand new out of the box in '88... Test-driving a LNG convinced me that a Jem was what I needed to fit my playing at that point.
I had gotten a '91 UV7BK in early '91 and was playing it exclusively at that point, and the FP was spending literally months at a time in its case, and only came out once in a while only because I deliberately took it out. In '93, a situation arose where I needed to sacrifice /something/ in order to get something else - it was the FP.
I regretted it then, and it has stung all these years. It was absolutely mint, and a great playing instrument.
This past February, I was alerted to a mint condition FP that had come in on trade at my local music dealer; it was a '91 with just a couple of condition issues. I bought it, refitted it, and that has helped fill that void.
(I actually prefer one important aspect about the '91; the spec changed that year, I believe, such that they moved the volume knob away from the bridge pickup, which had been my ONLY grievance with the '88 FP =])

So, yeah, parting with that FP stung.

(Edited to fix the year; the situation arose in '93, not '91... corrected)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 03:31 AM

Still regret selling my UV7BK 6 or 7 years later. I really wish I hadn't sold it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 07:04 PM

anybody want to do a trade, and how much ya sellin it for?

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , classic strat , les paul , maple neck , neck position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode