The End Of The Universe? - I'm Thinkin'...but I don't like. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

The End Of The Universe? - I'm Thinkin'...but I don't like.

I know that Steve doesn't use his UVs live anymore. *I can't remember why. *Since AIAUW is recorded live (duh), we know that there aren't any UVs on it. *I don't know, so can anybody tell me if there were any tracks on UZ with UV's on them? *Has Steve gone completely off of 7-strings? *Has he gotten bored of the low-B? *Will there be another UV model? *Or will the line end with the UV777BK, which has been proclaimed the best UV yet? *Please, tell me he still uses them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
The End Of The Universe?

i think it's pretty obvious that if SALES remain for the UV there will always be one for sale from Ibanez. the 7-string market has bottomed out yet I expect 'signature models' like the UV to sell anyhow. Steve hasn't used the UV in a meaningful way since PAW. It's anyone's guess if he will do so in the future... glen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

The End Of The Universe?

So your oppinion is that they'll keep the UV777BK until sales drop? *I hope so, but I also hope that Steve designs and releases a new UV to accompany the new JEM. *i.e. the JEM7DBK and UV777BK
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:49 PM

The End Of The Universe?

I for one hope that the UV's stick around....true that Steve hasn't used one much lately, but maybe he has grown out of that stage of his life? *I dunno....I wouldn't say he has settled down since his wilder days, as his music is still as experimental as ever, but, as he would admit, he is more focused on great melodies and less on his "WOW" playing these days....that is why I think he has been more at home on the JEM lately, because he doesn't feel the need to prove that he can innovate these days, because everything he does transcends innovation. *And anyone who is going to appreciate that innovation already does, and will continue to, regardless of whether he plays a six or seven string...

Abe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:51 PM

The End Of The Universe?

I picked up Guitar world magazine today and looking at the ads there are a number of guitar manufacturers producing 7 string guitars.

It would be logical for Ibanez to continue to keep a market share in this area and to keep selling the high end version of 7 strings-the UV.

It may equally be possible that a new UV model may come out (since we have not had one since 1997-UV777BK).

If we guess that a new jem is perhaps, possibly, may be on the way (Steve playing the blue one on G3) then it would be logical to put out a new UV at the same time

Who knows what it would be?

Personally I wouldnt mind a floral one as I have said in another thread.(although maybe the time has passed for one of these)

Given Steve Vai's choice of finishes for Ibanez in recent years it is going to be either White (with gold hardware), Black (although we have this now) or a new MC.

Fingers crossed for more guitars to discuss and buy!

Simon
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 02:07 PM

The End Of The Universe?

AIAUW is full of UV. But none played by Vai. I think that one of the reasons that Vai don't use UVs live anymore is because he's got two other guitarists that play whatever he tell them to play. Since he has chosen to use three guitarists live I reckon it's because he prefer Jems instead of UVs.

Euph
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 5
The End Of The Universe?

I'm not sure that the 7-string or the Universe for that matter is dead, however it has certainly peaked for a while in terms of popularity.

Just the fact that lots of other companies are now making 7s doesn't mean that the 7-string is losing support. *Look around at your old guitar mags. *In 1992 (two years after Motley Poison Halen Whitesnake earning sunk like the Titanic) the mags were still full of Nuno Bettencourt, Vito Bratta, Vai and others. *Musician's Friend carried more rack gear than they did guitars. *GMCs were being featured in GHS strings ads! *The problem is that people look to magazines and retailers to tell them the future of guitar, and magazines and retailers look to the people to tell them what they want. *So generally, even when there is a change in popularity it takes the mass of retailers and magazines a while to take notice and change.

Now, at least 3 years after the fact, most guitar companies have managed to issue a 7-string guitar. *This year, nearly 5 years from Korn's debut album, Ibanez has issued a sig. model. *I think we will see a general shrink in the 7-string market as it becomes a regular item and not a fad. *Most likely, the very high and low end will remain and most of the middle will drop out. *There will probably still be a Universe, and there will probably be some Chinese made plank like the Squire 7-string too. *I don't think we'll see continued proliferation though. *Don't expect the Les Paul 7 to be a hit. *I wouldn't look for Fender to push 7s either. *I think it will be a market niche, but no longer a cutting edge product that every brand tries to reinvent.

Remember in 1989 (7 years after Ed started pushing it) Gibson outfitted Les Pauls with Floyd Rose Trems? *If it wasn't double-locking, it didn't sell! *The fad wore off and Gibson returned to their stop-tail. *The Heavy Metal STRAT died out and Floyd's became another market niche. *This seems pretty similar.

I think for Steve, the 7 is something of a distraction. *He fools with it occasionally. *P&W was full of it. *Just like UZ was full of sustainer. *It's a tool. *He used it for a while and now he's using other stuff. *He might come back to it, maybe not-but I would imagine that as long as it's profitable, Ibanez will keep making a few of them.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

The End Of The Universe?

I'm definitely not saying that 7-strings are dead, but with the new K-7, Ibanez may decide that they don't need more than one high priced 7-string. *I mean, look at Wes Borland. *For Limp Bizkit's first two albums, he used RG-7620s and UVs, because Ibanez wanted to feed off the popularity of Korn using them by making them more widely acceptable, so he got them free. *In actual fact, he hated them and now plays mainly PRSs. *But, still, the 7-string popularity rise is still continuing, but not necessarily in the UV department.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 07:26 AM

The End Of The Universe?

i seem to remember rich pike stating that steves next studio record will be all 7 string.....thats at least what he was planning at the time which was about a year ago
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

The End Of The Universe?

That would be way cool!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 04:30 PM

The End Of The Universe?

In the Ultra Zone album, Steve used the 7 string for Asain Sky.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 06:44 PM

The End Of The Universe?

Vito Bratta.......:biggrin:
what I highly underated guitarist...I wonder what he does now...

Julio
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 01:31 AM

The End Of The Universe?

Didn't oooo also incorporate the 7?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 05:27 AM

The End Of The Universe?

oooo uses a 7 string.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:48 AM

The End Of The Universe?

Nah, I don't think the advent of the K-7 will kill of the UV, there are quite a lot of people that would like a high end quality 7string that don't want that nasty inlay, no tone knob and drab colours...

There'll always be people who want the versatility of the pup config on a UV, and want the playability. So I don't think it's dead, just that maybe it's time for a new model to come out (or several...but that's wishfull thinking)

Long live the UV!

And yeah, I also heard that vai's next album was going to have lots of 7string stuff on it...

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose trem , guitar mag , heavy metal , les paul , les pauls , limp bizkit , nuno bettencourt , steve vai , string guitars , vito bratta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode