EP7 Euphoria - On Hand First Impression - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

EP7 Euphoria - On Hand First Impression

Firstly, I'm sorry if this thread is already started by someone before.
Has anybody ever play EP7?
Anybody know how it sounds?
Well, everybody including me is expecting good things from EP7.
Two days ago I was visiting a big music shop in Frankfurt (Musik-Schmidt) 10 minutes before they were closed. I asked for the price of a new Jem7VWH (2,300 Euro) and also asked about Euphoria. A guy told me that they dont have it in Germany yet. About 5 minutes before they closed, another guy told me they that EP7 just arrived! I was sooo excited! Then they asked me whether I wanted to try it. HELL SURE!! Some of the guys who work in the shop waited with me coz they wanted to see the guitar as well. Not long, a guy came with an Ibanez hardcase. I asked him whether it came along with the guitar, he said yes and allow me to open the case.
I opened it and the first impression from me was like, MMM..Okay this is it. It wasnt like WOW.. I was surprised that the finish wasnt reflective, it was flat. Also, EP7 is not big at all. Well, its not small but IMO its smaller than most acoustic guitar. I pick the guitar and it was not heavy, in fact for me, it was very light for an acoustic. Also, the body was thin, half the thickness of a normal acoustic guitar. While still feeling the guitar in my hand, my wife, who's standing in front of me said that the color's so ugly. Well, honestly, I couldnt disagree too much with her. It was very beautiful in Rich's site. Even more beautiful in vai.com! But when it came on my hand, IMO it looked like a totally different guitar.
So I played some open chords and this time it really dissapoints me. My $120 Yamaha Acoustic sounds much better than EP7. I almost couldnt believe my ear but the shop guys's faces were like agreeing with me. Then one of the shop guy said, the sound is not so good because of its thin body. While I'm still trying the guitar, to my surprise, my wife tells me, well, it's made in Korea. Hey? I stopped playing and look inside the body and HEY! There's a bad news stamped inside the guitar that says Made In Korea!
I was truly deeply dissapointed. Some shop guys tried the guitar, and most of them was saying that the guitar's too expensive, some says its ugly some says its nice but its price should be 200-300 Euro only (the price is about 1,200 Euro), but he said if u r such a big Vai fan, buy it!
I didnt have the chance to try to play it through an amp that day, but anyway I have decided not to buy it.
I would like to hear other's comments who have tried the guitar. Maybe the EP7 I played was made on Monday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:21 AM

Since it just came out of the case from the factory, maybe it wasn't tuned and set-up properly?
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:23 AM

Made In Korea, 1200Euros??
Hmmm
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:45 AM

Well THAT sucks...Im still gonna have to try one out for myself though...
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:58 AM

mh that sucks, i thougt over buying it without trying it, but now.....
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:22 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
That explains why Ibanez never got back with the answer on where it was made (ie. Korea not Japan)

I thought it was obvious that this was really not in essence a true "acoustic guitar" (I mean could you imagine Page recording Zep-III with such a guitar... ROTF). It's more a recording /live tool for those refusing real acoustics. Either way I'd be leery of anyone saying it sounded "great" unplugged. I had my suspicions on that just based on it's proportions and dimensions.

Still the hands-on-report is quite disappointing. After some zealots buy this guitar, it's sales will no doubt remain flat... glen
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:37 AM

:shrug: the one from NAMM sounded and felt really good to me, but that might've been .. for other reasons.

~A
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 11:57 AM

The EP7 was never my thing, but it is dissapointing to read such a review...

Good to hear about Musik-Schmidt again, I used to go there on a weekly basis to drool at guitars (I think they changed locations since), the people there are nice and know their stuff, unlike many other stores...
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 12:58 PM

Well that sucks big time! The EP7 at least IMO got rather a lot of promotion before NAMM. Then in the end it's a very expensive (to expensive) Korean made guitar . Could be that it's only the first batch of them are made in Korea ! Maybe because of time pressure the japanese factory couldn't do the first batch, anyway still a big let down.

Regards

André

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 07:27 AM

Rich's site lists them as in stock. Rich? What's your opinion?
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:06 AM

Thin wood, light, made in Korea? Glad I bought the Seagull.....

wil..
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:20 AM

I think I'll stick with Taylors and Yamahas
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:24 AM

too bad, dissappointing to hear a negative review.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 3
EP7 - a different take.

Just my two cents here:
I got my EP7 on the March 15th (#14), and was plesently suprised on how it sounded. Mine responds very well to everything I thow at it, and it plays like a dream, hands down the easiest acoustic guitar to play I own! It is a very thin guitar, and if you compare it to a full body D acoustic, it isn't going to sound the same. I compared it to similar sized guitars at the store I work at (Fenders, Takamines, Ovations, other Ibanez, and Martins) and it was much more balanced and not as hollow sounding.
The only thing that disappointed me was the fact it was made in Korea. However, the fit, finish, attention to detail, ect., is very much well above what I am use to seeing coming out of the Korean factroies.
I can live with the color (I didn't think I would like it as much as I do, a lot of it's appearance will come from the wood underneath); I remember people that were not all that impressed with the LNG, SP, DSY or the Floral Patterns when they came out!! I would at least give one a try; as with anything, some people will like them, and others won't.
Josh
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 02:03 PM

I personnally don't like the euphoria, I bought an Alvarez PD100S and never looked back.

Tags
acoustic guitar , electric guitar , fret size , gauge strings , ibanez acoustic , ibanez guitars , les paul , piezo pickup , piezo pickups , pro edge , quilted maple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode