EP7 Euphoria Owners: What is your opinion/review? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

EP7 Euphoria Owners: What is your opinion/review?

Howdy all,

I just got my Ibanez EP7 a couple of days ago and have yet to see any reviews on the net about this guitar. I see that we all have differences about MIK and whatnot, but I wanted to hear from the other owners of this guitar and see what their impressions are.

Let me start off to say that within 24 hours of owning this guitar, I have managed to damage it already. There is a little nic which is only about 1mm, but damn it all to hell, it's not perfect anymore. Oh well, I suppose now it has character.

Anyway, to be honest, I am a bit torn. As far as cosmetics, this is the most beautiful acoustic I have owned, hands down. Not that that matters too much, but let's face it, that is a big feature of this instrument.

-I quite like the feel of the guitar. It's very light and devoid of the gloss finish which makes moving my hands around on the guitar a bit easier. The neck is comfortable and fast, and of course the cutaway makes for easy access which I like. This is actually the first cutaway acoustic I've had and I am beginning to like that feature quite rapidly.
-Now comes the hard part. Tone. One thing I do like is its responsiveness to different styles. The differences of tone when picking up and down the strings are drastic and blissfully varied. The tone itself however seems rather lacking. It just doesn't sound genuine. Highs and lows are well balanced, but it just doesn't seem to have that quality acoustic "ring" to the sound.
-Electrics are perfect. I have gone from a Gibson 100th Anniversary Gospel which was a good acoustic, but the electrics were just the pits. That was the reason for the swap. Definitely a good swap for those reasons. The electrics are incredibly responsive and genuine. Still tweaking the EQ a bit to get a true quality acoustic "ring", but I'm sure I'll get there.

Ok, LONG WINDED!!!! What do you guys think? I'm dying to hear what other owners' opinions are.

Until Next time,
Bandmate
www.bandmate.com.au
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:42 AM

The local music store just got one in and they called me to come see the "incredible vine inlay".
Well, what I'm about to say is probably a little harsh, but it was my impression overall.

The vine inlay is done worse than the regular Jem's. In fact, As harsh as it sounds, the 555's inlay is tighter than the EP7. The vine stem that goes right to the ends of the fretboard looks really bad IMO.
The rosette looks cool, but why they just stuck it on the top of the guitar rather than inlay it is beyond me, it feels rough and I don't think the gold coloration will survive to long with it exposed like that, just my opinion.
The neck really surprised me, based on what all of Steve's other guitars feel like this neck is a total departure from them. It felt very small to me, and very V shaped.
The fretwork on this particular one was mediocre at best, it could have used a good levelling and the fret ends could have been done a little cleaner, they were hanging over.
As for the tone, well, I really wasn't impressed at all, I don't think it sounds any different (or rather better) than the standard Artist line of acoustics.

Overall, I thought the guitar was a 5 on a scale of 1 - 10 at very best. The satin finish looks cheap to me as well, especially on the back and sides. To me it's a $300 guitar at best, not $1000.

But, having said all that, if YOU like it, then that is really all that matters, and if you like it, I'm happy for you, enjoy the hell out of it
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 PM

Euphoria review

I think my Euphoria is great. I've wanted an acoustic for the last 5 years but could never find one I really liked (read: justify paying the earth for it as well)

The euphoria for me is a hybrid guitar, in the best sense. I really wanted an electro acoustic that I could record directly with (I don't have the money for a setup yet where I can mike it up with a 3000 condenser!!) So a POD XT / or my old Digitech RP6 into Pro Tools / Tascam sounds divine.

I find that unplugged it doesn't quite have the brightness I was expecting, but it's not far off. I wanted something that really adjusted to your picking style to create dynamics along with the actual notation you are playing. Unplugged; it does this well. Plugged in; it is absolutely fantastic!

I think mine was the first to arrive in London (judging by the swarm of staff that came to see it the second I opened the case to try it out!!) and with the case and extra cover thrown in for under 750 I feel I paid a good price.

I'm not concerned where it was made, what my serial number etc because it will never be sold. It will be passed down through my family if possible when I shuffle away! I collect guitars, but I'm a slow and selfish collector. i.e: I buy them for ME to play, for ME to love, and for ME to enjoy. Not for the possibility of one day selling it if it comes a collectors item.

(Jeez, when I get going I really get going?!?)

Summary = Everything I hoped for sound wise and beautiful to boot.

Samboway out!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:44 PM

Glad your pleased with it. That certainly is a good way to think about it.
But as usual our lives are dominated by "where was it made" and "how much was it". Sometimes maybe we should take a step back from that?

I cant really say anything though, cos as soon as I hear "Korea" I tremble.
But thats just the modern world we live in I suppose. And again its all down to personal opinions and thoughts. Whats good for you - is all that matters.

Just because its made in Korea or wherever, doesnt mean its bad. I mean look at some of the new Gibsons.......they are awful! And they are meant to be "proper" guitars made in US or Japan or wherever.

Saying that, I still wouldnt buy a Euphoria =
Gary - The.Godfather
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
cos as soon as I hear "Korea" I tremble.

I know exactly what you mean.

http://rewards.macandbumble.com/promo/sung_hi_lee/images/DSC_0004(1).jpg

Every inch made in Korea, and what a neck and body...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:25 PM

I've had one for a little over a month now, and I just love it. I love how it plays, how it sounds, and how it looks. The finish has a couple real small dust specs that got caught in the finish, but you really have to look for them. For the $ I think it should come with a case though. I'm not one to care to much where it was made(country) . If it's fun to play,and sounds good, it could be made by monkeys and I won't care.

It's always the most beautiful acoustic anywhere I go. I've compared it to Martins, Gibsons, Alvarez, Yamaha, Ovation.... personally I liked the way the EP7 sounds much better.

Plugged in, it's more fun than I ever though possible with an acoustic through an amp. It just sounds incredible through my Legacy combo.

Range of tones can be accomplished by using different gauge strings. It comes with 12 gauge strings which to me made it sound more like my friends top-line Carvin acoustic, and a few Martins too. I put 10's on it and now iit sounds closer to an Ovation, or Takamine. Of course this is just my personal observation. I've got other acoustic, but never has string gauge made such a difference in tone in any of my others. I'm curious what 11's will sound like.

I'm proud to own such an awesome instrument!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamand
I know exactly what you mean.

http://rewards.macandbumble.com/promo/sung_hi_lee/images/DSC_0004(1).jpg

Every inch made in Korea, and what a neck and body...
I'll take two, please.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 11:43 AM

made in korea isn't what it used to be. i got an Epiphone LP that is korean made and the guitar sounds and looks stunning! if this same guitar was made identically in the US, it would cost 5x more!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 02:15 AM

@hamand

Glad to see some reviews about the guitar, to me, it seems a bit too expensive and can probably get a better acoustic with that price, just my opinion I guess.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:27 PM

I think its nice... but I still rather have a nice Martin or Ovation.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 PM

Re: EP7 Euphoria Owners: What is your opinion/review?

Appearance = EP9

Craftsmanship = EP9

Sound = EP9

Acoustics = EP9

Neck = EP9

Inlay = EP9

VAI symbol around hole = EP9

Electronics = EP9

First impression = EP7

Of course, IMO!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 PM

In a sentence, worst sounding acoustic I have ever played with a pricetag of $300 or more.
In multiple sentences. Worst sounding acoustic I have ever played. It looked nice though. The amplified sound may have been better, I didnt care to try. If an acoustic doesnt sound good unplugged, who cares how it sounds amped. The point of an acoustic is to play without an amp.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
In a sentence, worst sounding acoustic I have ever played with a pricetag of $300 or more.
In multiple sentences. Worst sounding acoustic I have ever played. It looked nice though. The amplified sound may have been better, I didnt care to try. If an acoustic doesnt sound good unplugged, who cares how it sounds amped. The point of an acoustic is to play without an amp.
What is a good sounding acoustic?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM

I got my wife one of those 15 series Martins, well under $1000 and it sounds great. I love my Martin, but it was quite a bit more than the EP7. The Seagulls I've played sound all sounded good. I've played some Guilds that sounded great. I found a few Alvarez acoustics that I wanted to bring home.
Im sure Ibanez even makes some that sound good, unfortunately, I dont think the EP7 was one of them. I wish I could remember what the other guitar was I looked at before I bought my Martin, it was another nice one for under a grand. If you have about $3500-$5000 you cant go wrong with a McPhearson.

There are tons of other good sounding acoustics, but those are some of my favorites.

Actually the EP7 might be the second worst sounding I ever played. The first was a Washburn. I forget the model number but it was an electric/acoustic with a cutaway and it came in red, blue and black. It was a few hundred less than the Euphoria, but I did say over $300, so it falls into that catagory. It felt like it was made of plastic and sounded like it was made of wet cardboard. I felt bad selling it people, but when the kid wants a blue guitar you cant convince them otherwise.

Last edited by elcid; 02-13-2008 at 08:43 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM

Wow this thread is almost 4 years old. Why do people dig this stuff up?

Tags
fret guitar , gauge strings , ibanez acoustic , local music store , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode