Eugenes Trickbag - ... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Eugenes Trickbag - ...

I wasn't exactly sure if this post belongs here but I figured since all you apparently like steve vai you might know a bit about this..

But in the Crossroads when Steve plays that fast Paganini part. What caprice is it from? I thought it was 24 or 15.... but i was wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 09:31 PM

Eugenes Trickbag

It's a variation on Paganini's 5th caprice.
Good tune:biggrin:
Alden
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 02:32 AM

Eugenes Trickbag

so if I wanted to learn Eugenes Trick Bag should I learn that first?
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 05:34 AM

Eugenes Trickbag

Not necessarily but it's worth learning anyway as it is a beautiful piece of music. I learnt Eugene's Trick Bag first and then searched out Paganini's 5th caprice and learnt that.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 10:14 AM

Eugenes Trickbag

I heard a classical guitar player do Paganini's Capricio no. 5 once (i can't remember who it was), and it made my jaw hit the floor. It was about twice the tempo as the version Vai played in Crossroads.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 10:21 AM

Reviews: 5
Eugenes Trickbag

if you're into that song, you should find a copy of Vai Live In Korea from the Firegarden tour. *On it, he and Mike Keneally play that song
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 11:13 AM

Eugenes Trickbag

Elliot Fisk played the classical guitar version go check it out, fingers and nylon string! SHRED MAN SHRED!

I really recommend learning Eugene's Trick Bag it has all the essential techniques that a guitarist should use in a SHRED/Rock context. Very nice piece of music, strive for seamlessness when learning it. Vai really knows how to make everything sound so fluid, he's by far one of the cleanest pickers ever.

Go learn it!!!!

Chris.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 03:00 PM

Eugenes Trickbag

Is 'Eugene's Trick Bag' a song? I always though it was some kind of guitar lessons/techniques book :loco: .
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 03:14 PM

Eugenes Trickbag

OH weeeee, another dot. Didn't notice that...
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 03:33 PM

Eugenes Trickbag

Eugene's Trick Bag is a variation on pag's 5th that features in the ending duel from the "Crossroads" film.

BTW, Jason Becker also does a fine acoustic version.

Steve
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 10:39 PM

Eugenes Trickbag

yes, it is indeed the 5th. i like it but i really prefer caprice 24. Paganini's finest work to me!! very difficult piece. i stillc ant play it all the way through w/o looking at the notes!!

here is an incredible tab site with links to multitudes of site with tabs from everything to funk-country-thrash-melodic, etc... almost every band you can think of. it will bring up hundres of sites to go to for each artist!!

http://www.tabrobot.com/

(Edited by vwall at 9:42 pm on April 25, 2001)
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 04:54 PM

Eugenes Trickbag

Is Eugenes Trickbag available on any albums? I've learned it from the tabs, but I expect that I'm playing it a lot slower than it's supposed to be played.

/B
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 09:17 PM

Eugenes Trickbag

It was availble on NAPSTER but after all the hassle they have had I dont't know if it still is but if not I'm sure one of the other MP3 siites will have it
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 07:07 AM

Eugenes Trickbag

Quote:
Quote: from Christopher Chen on 11:13 am on April 25, 2001

Vai really knows how to make everything sound so fluid, he's by far one of the cleanest pickers ever.

Go learn it!!!!

Chris.

Chris,you must be kidding!!
Vai's alternate picking is ok at best.

You want clean picking,listen to Paul Gilbert,Vinnie Moore,Yngwie Malmsteen,John Petrucci.......

Now these guys can pick......any of them would be able to play eugenes trickbag at twice the speed Vai plays it.(Ok maybe not twice but you know what I mean)

Vai's technique is really not all its hyped up to be.He's got good but not great technique.

(Edited by rosskoss at 7:10 am on April 27, 2001)
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 11:21 AM

Eugenes Trickbag

Quote:
Quote: from rosskoss on 7:07 am on April 27, 2001

Vai's technique is really not all its hyped up to be.He's got good but not great technique.
You don't have to shred at 240+bpm to be a great musician. And Vai is a great musician, hands down. By the way, I think his playing style is incredible.

Oliver

Tags
alternate picking , david lee roth , eddie van halen , eugenes trick bag , fret board , jack butler , jason becker , jimmy page , john petrucci , mike keneally , paul gilbert , steve morse , steve vai , van halen , vinnie moore , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode