Everythings possible with a Jem??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Everythings possible with a Jem???

Hello guys;
I wonder If it's possible to do everything I want with a jem... Is my technique wrong or what...
The thing is that on every jem I tried and (in shop or mine)I can't do some "hammer on" on the high E string without falling out the fretboard... The string falls on the fret and then slide to the edge of the fret it makes a weird noise like "bzoing" and that's it...
I notice that it happens with some stratocaster but never on a PRS because there a lot of space between the high E string and the edge of the fret...

As anyone fells the same??????... Is my technique all wrong??????... Is it particular to the "jem" model??????? (as the guy in a UK shop told me!)? Or, at least, is it impossible to play 'hammer on" on any guitar of the planet (try to play thuderstruck* of ACDC on the high E string... I cannot, not because I can't play it but because of that problem)

Help, I like my jems but sometimes I wonder if there aren't just beautiful thing to see and not to play!

JS

PS : The distance between my high E string and the edge of the fret is about the same as this : http://jemsite.com/axes/model/jem2kdna2.htm
I've already move the nut in order to get more space but the problem remain the same!
PS2 : Sorry if I'm not in the good forum but I really think it's a JEM problem! I hope I'm wrong!
PS3 :*I'm not sure of the title... Don't kidding me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:51 PM
EKG

I have no problem hammering on my JEM. Sounds like when you release the hammer, you pull off with a down stroke (towards the ground). I always pull off towrds the center of the neck. I just developed this over time. The 3 higher strings (G, B, E), I pull off upwards and the 3 lower (E, A, D), I pull off downwards.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:02 PM
dex

FYI "Thunderstruck" is played on the B string.

And don't forget that by the time Angus was 14, he was so good, his OLDER brother asked him to play lead in the band.

It's not a guitar design problem, because the distance is pretty much the same on all my guitars.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Kolesar
I have no problem hammering on my JEM. Sounds like when you release the hammer, you pull off with a down stroke (towards the ground). I always pull off towrds the center of the neck. I just developed this over time. The 3 higher strings (G, B, E), I pull off upwards and the 3 lower (E, A, D), I pull off downwards.
Agreed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for your answers...
So the problem is : me...
I've got to learn a new technique : The 3 higher strings (G, B, E), I'll pull off upwards... I'll promise, I'll try but it's gonna be difficult...

But, is it normal? I mean, does anyone else hammering that way???!!!

Thanx anyway!
JS
Ps : I know that "thunderstruck" is not on the b string but have you ever try to play it on the high E string, just for fun??? Try it and tell me... it's pretty tricky!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:06 PM

No, not with a floating bridge. When it comes to hammer ons/pull offs, this guitar will do fine but it can lack in other areas. Multi string bending. Letting one string ring while bending another. Floating bridge screws you there.

Also, if you play like SRV, 9's on a JEM won't stand up well to that either. THey'll either break or sound like crap. I break strings way too much on my 7V.

I find a JEM tonally limited more so than technically.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:20 PM

i play srv on my jem .. no problem ...

yea, you can do the one string ring+bend another thing, but multistring bends can be done.

~A
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:19 PM

actually, I had a problem with that once on a jem too. It was one of the original loch ness jems at the music store
I never fret off when I tap, but on this guitar at the 14th fret, I couldn't tap it and keep it on the board......I doubt its you, because in my situation, it was definately the guitar. I have absolutely never had that problem like that since then, but when I actaully bought my jem some time after that, I made sure it didn't have that problem.

I checked every fret to make sure nothing was fishy!Of course, nothing was!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanx everybody, It makes me feel better...
See ya
JS

Tags
higher strings , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode