EVO - hmm... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

EVO - hmm...

http://www.vai.com/sightssounds/nov17-00reh/22.html

EVO's seen some action in her lifetime and is looking quite far from the original VWH. *Notice the chrome vol. knob. *Also, why is Vai using the arm from his Edge in a way other than what it was designed for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:09 AM

EVO

Yeah Evo's seen a lot of action the neck has even been changed, I believe the old one died in a "toss my guitar to my guitar tech" accident...it's now been changed to a neck with a black head stock with a chrome ibanez logo...Steve's also not use the lopro anymore...he's since changed to an edge trem...as for the trem bar...well that's Vai for you! You see what he does with his tongue and random harmonics!

Chris.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 5
EVO

I belive he's using the tremolo arm as a slide.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:05 PM

EVO

hmmm...she really does look in bad shape doesn't she.

like she'd been in a room with 20 chain smokers for a few years

but he still coaxe's those cool tunes out of her so that's all that matters in the end, and she looks like a vintage battered str*t

Steve
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 05:01 PM

EVO

Yeah, I think it's cool how he's held onto EVO through all these years. *I wish I could find the one guitar that I want to keep forever.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 06:33 PM

EVO

LOL, *i have, *ha ha
got it when i was 5yrs old. * 11 years down the line and still not a scratch. *No name or model number either,lol

i don't think it'll ever go.

swig.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:08 PM

EVO

Wow.
Looks pretty bad, a lot more wear and a ton of yellowing since the G3 video. *But just imagine what the action on that guitar is like.......
Has anyone on this site ever actually had the chance to play it? *I'd (almost) give the right one.....

Screamin'
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:27 PM

EVO

There were a lot more *pictures
on the Vai webpage where this one is, but not all of them looked as yellow. *In fact, when he was here in Illinois in '99, EVO and FLO both looked incredibly white to me.
And I don't think I could ever touch any of his guitars; I'm not worthy!

(Edited by bachle7 at 10:28 pm on June 4, 2001)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:22 AM

EVO

Are you saying the left one is better than the right?
Traitor
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 12:48 AM

EVO

I love the look of the aged evo...it's really cool, further emphasizes the "one and only main battle sword" image...all those scars of the battles...ok ok I'm going a little overboard here. But I mean I've always felt that production 7vwh's were just too, way too white for my liking it's like there's a brilliant glow surrounding them. So very bright!

I like the fact that Evo has yellowed a little...gosh imagine what she plays like, after all those years of use...and yes abuse. There are a few guys who've played evo on the forum...well not maybe played but at least seen her and touched her in person!

If ibanez would to release a Evo "Relic" series...hehehe I'd be the first sucker to buy one!

Chris.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 06:42 AM

EVO

Wov..... very very used! Yeah she seems to be in bad shape.... but, as everyone else has already said, she must play like a dream.....:love: * *By the way... why did Steve switch to an original edge?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 05:09 PM

EVO

When I buy a guitar, I want *it to be as mint as possible. But when the ages I want that it really shows! You know... it has to look like itīs been played! I just hope my guitars will look like that after next 20 years. Looks great!!! :biggrin:

OoDee
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:00 AM

EVO

Quote:
Quote: from yuza on 5:42 am on June 5, 2001
By the way... why did Steve switch to an original edge?
I think I read this in the forum somewhere that Steve thought that the Edge was weighted better for doing flutter.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:21 AM

Location: Ft Lauderdale-Fl....oh man...women...women...women...
EVO

Yep-Steve prefers Edge trems to Lo-Pro Edge's. They flutter a lot better and when I changed mine, the tension loosened up quite a bit. (I now have a gold Edge on my 7VWH, and now I think it's one of the closer EVO look-a-likes out there....pre-broken neck of course.)

I remember grabbing EVO's neck at the NYC show 11-23-99, just to feel how it was finished, (it wasn't), so that's the closest I've come (that, and the few picks I stole from the headstock as Steve hovered it over my head and teased the crowd with em').

I have an old friend, Anthony Garone, that got to hang out with Steve at the Mothership a couple times and got to play EVO and even had Steve show him a couple things, must have been pretty cool.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 04:56 PM

EVO

Yeah, I got to play EVO. *It was pretty awesome. *

Bow down before me. *Bwahaha.

No, just kidding. *Totally kidding. *EVO was kinda strange. *Imagine playing a wizard neck that felt like it was made out of unsanded wood with the bark still on it. *That's pretty much how the neck felt. *I got to play it through his rig at the Mothership. *It was pretty intimidating, let me tell you. *My dad was there and he was kinda freaking out, "Don't play that thing." *Steve said it was all right and that "Godzilla couldn't break that thing if he tried." *The body was pretty worn and he had a Les Paul autograph on the back of the body. *Unfortunately, it wore off with all the playing that he did, so he retraced it with his own Sharpie. *Pretty funny. *The neck was thin, definitely not the same Jem neck that came on MY 7vwh. *He did play mine, though. *He played the fastest scale I've ever seen. *Seeing him personally play when he's not in front of a million people is a treat. *It's like he was born with the thing. *It's almost as if it's another appendage. *He showed me some whammy bar stuff (we got to play "The Crying Machine" together). *I also played some of the outro from "Answers" on the G3 live cd. *Then, he showed me how he really played it...sorta. *He couldn't really remember. *But, anyway, EVOs pickups are a little closer to the body. *Many people think that his necks are sanded down to be closer to the body but I think it's just that his necks are thinner. *I played the neck with the black headstock. *You know, after he broke the original. *Of course, the intonation and action were perfect. *Very low action, no buzzing, very flat neck. *Perfect. *His tech, Marcelo, is awesome.

I wrote some stuff about the whole thing on my web site. *www.garone.net/anthony

I don't remember the exact page, but it's somewhere in there. *Umm..if anyone has more questions, just email me at [email protected]

Ant'ny

P.S. *Hi Andy!! *Email me sometime!!

Tags
black headstock , edge trem , edge trems , guitar tech , jem neck , les paul , pro edge , steve vai , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode