Evo single pu ouput level - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Evo single pu ouput level

Hi

I am sorry if that has been already asked.

I own a jem 7vwh, which is a great guitar.
I just have a small problem, the difference between the single output level and the humbucker output level(bridge and neck) is really really huge, when i play and i change pickup, it s like i have no more sound...is it normal???

I need your experience and knowledge.

thanx
fred

sorry for my english , i hope you ll understand what i mean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:09 AM

Yes, it's normal and yes, it sucks. I returned that guitar for that very reason. I just couldn't spend $1800 on a guitar and have to start replacing pickups first thing. It wasn't right.

I replaced my middle p'up in my BFP with a Dimarzio Virtual 2 bridge pickup (wired as a single coil). There are lots of other options for singles. If you go to www.dimarzio.com , they have each model listed and its output level. check bridge single coil models, as they'll be hotter than middle pickup models.

~Kenny
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

if I change the single pu, is it possible to keep the white cover and the gold screws ?

fred
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:07 AM
EKG

Yes, you should be able to continue using the same pickguard and screws

The Evolutions are very hot pups making the single sound like they have even less volume.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:22 AM

Already answered, but, yes the middle pickup is a cover, not the actual pickup, unlike the humbuckers which would have to be special ordered.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 03:54 AM

Have you tried FS-1 or Blue Velvet in the middle Kennydoe?
I'm not sure which one to take out of the three (including VirtuAL 2).
If you have tried and compared those, I'd love to hear..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri M
Have you tried FS-1 or Blue Velvet in the middle Kennydoe?
I'm not sure which one to take out of the three (including VirtuAL 2).
If you have tried and compared those, I'd love to hear..
The Virtual was the first I tried and it was as far as i needed to look. It sounds fantasic in the 2 & 4 positions. If the others sound better, i don't know.

~Kenny
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 09:02 AM

I've installed a Blue Velvet in an RG1200 with evos. Made a big difference in terms of increased output from the middle position. I have since put a Blue Velvet into several other guitars. I really like how balanced it is.

--B
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 11:32 AM

Now....see...am I just weird here?

I like having the middle pickup be less output because it means that to switch from rhythm to lead work all I have to do is use the pickup selector to get a volume boost. And with programmed channels on my amp I effectively get 2 different ways of boosting my sound for solos.

Am I the only one that does this???
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
Now....see...am I just weird here?

I like having the middle pickup be less output because it means that to switch from rhythm to lead work all I have to do is use the pickup selector to get a volume boost. And with programmed channels on my amp I effectively get 2 different ways of boosting my sound for solos.

Am I the only one that does this???
It all depends on how you use it. I find the timbre vastly different from the middle combos to the straight humbuckers. I like the clean sound to 'thin out' a little bit, but 'thin' to me doesn't mean lower in volume.

There's no right or wrong, really.

~K

Tags
bridge pickup , coil mode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode