EVO vs. EVO2 vs. Breed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

EVO vs. EVO2 vs. Breed

Anyone have any idea why this is?

EVO was introduced to add punch to the PAF Pro. Then, Breed was introduced because EVO was pretty harsh for some going through big stacks.

Now I see EVO2 and on the DiMarzio price sheet I got it explains that the EVO2s were created because a softer EVO was needed.

If this is the case, why have a Breed AND an EVO2? Just curious... in the grand scheme of music making this is, well... practically conversation about the weather.

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Re: EVO vs. EVO2 vs. Breed

Hmm, I haven't even heard about this and can't seem to find it on the Dimarzio website... but maybe that's the pickup Steve told me he was working on with Dimarzio when they were deciding what to put in the Bad Horsie mirror jem. They ended up going with Breeds for that but perhaps they still liked what they came up with, just not for that particular guitar, and named it Evolution 2. *shrugs* I 'unno. Mikey? Rich? Anyone?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I thought Breeds were designed by DiMarzio factory folk, but they're according to Steve's specs. Maybe someone here can play a 2KDNA (Breed) and a 7VWH (EVO) through the same setup, same notes, same pickup pattern, and we can hear the difference!

Actually it'd be awesome to have a sample set of MP3s to demonstrate PU differentiation through various outputs (fx, cabs, etc..)

-Alex
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:54 PM

Alex.. I have a Jem 7DBK that has breeds, and a Jem555 with the evo's... I wish i could post some playin but my buddy borrowed the xt live for the week, so i cant now... but from past experience i like the way the breeds sound.. im not gonna really go into detail about the differences, cause they really are the same as what everyone else says, the breeds have less bite than the evos, but for the most part they arent that different to me.... hope that helped at all

mike
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, man... I'm kind of in the same opinion boat as you and I'm sure many are... the difference in PUs is tiny until you start doing nothing but playing all day long.. I'm sure Steve can hear a lot more differentiation than we can. Seems unlikely he'd design / endorse a PU just for kicks. In the meantime I'm happy with my PAF Pros.

-Alex
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 05:47 PM

From what I understand, Evo and Breed are developed independently. Steve was sent 2 VWH's, one of them had Evolution, another one had Pogo, both named after Harley Davidson engines. Pogo later became the Breed pickup. Although Steve used Paf Pros before he designed Evos, I don't think Evos are designed to be a Paf Pro with more bite. Fred, on the other hand, is more like a Paf Pro with more bite and overtone, and Norton is a step above Fred in bite and overtone but more or less a 'super paf pro'. As as you can infer from the development story of Breed and Evolution, one does not come after the other, and so one is not designed to be an alternate of another. If you compare the tonal structure of Paf Pro, Breed, and Evolution, you can clearly see that Breed and Evolution are pretty similar in that both have lots of mid but the balance between the treble and bass is different. On the other hand, Paf Pros is quite different from the aforementioned two in that it has lots more treble than mid or bass.

-Bo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 06:54 PM

i played an evo2 equipped 7vWH at the DiM booth at namm .. i played it clean, mainly - sounded a bit more even in the transition from bridge -> bridge+middle, which was a damned useful thing (compared to my regular jem live). i played it with some drive too, and it was just a bit less 'screaming' .. i guess if you put your volume knob at 9 (on your regular evo equipped guitar), or so.

definitely more scream than a breed, that's for sure.

~A

Tags
equipped guitar , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode