Evo's pickup heights - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Evo's pickup heights

Take a look at notice the middle pickup is really low.

Anyone know what this is? My middle pickup is not very loud and therefore need it kind of high.

Does steve use this pick up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 11:39 PM

Well, I just recently screwed my singlecoil p/u pretty far down into the body of my RG.
Why?
Because it interferes with my picking.
My picking hand is placed in such a way, that the pick is right on the middle pickup.
And when you hit that thing every so often, it gets really annoying....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 02:27 AM

he does use it. in fact, the neck HB is upside down. for some weird reason he uses the coil split upper part of the HB with the mid single coil.

dont ask me why.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

thats right, i remember reading that,

i just tried it on my 7vwh and its heaps better on the picking, esspecially going for right hand harmonics, however its just way to quiet compared to the humbuckers
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:43 AM

most people that just got the 7vwh will say that the mid pu is too weak.

however thats what you get when buying a vai guitar, exactly up to his specs.

he always uses the single coil with a HB as far as i know
and the reason for the low output is he only uses it as a slight blend, the main tone comes from the HB split
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I do that to my guitars too. For me it's not so much the picking technique thing, it's more that it provides and instant volume drop.

Some folks really hate it when that's the case, but I use it to really clean up the sound. If you go from screaming bridge humbucker lead to mid+neck single coil tones there's a really big difference and you don't have to step on a pedal or anything.

I just think it's handy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:02 AM

On my Jems I would always lower the middle pickup because:

A. Always in the way
B. Never used it and if I could rip it out with my bare hands I would.

In fact, check out the thread with my custom Jem and you'll see how I feel the perfect Jem would be like. Remember, this is simply my opinion. Steve made the guitar the way he wanted which is cool. I like the design of the Jem, but I want my own custom configuration.

Gabe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:23 PM

my picking NEVER gets bothered by the mid coil...
and im not even super good
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:02 PM

How "BAD" or "GOOD" you are has absolutely nothing to do with if the pickup is in the way.
It's all about your picking style, hand position, angle, how you hold the pick.........
And about another million reasons.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

The worst thing about have the mid coil being so quiet is when you doing a gig and your using a clean sound with the bridge humbucker and then while your stumming (getting into it) you accidently hit the pickup selecter to the middle coil.

The volume difference is enough to not cut through a live band and all of a sudden it sounds like you cut out. But i love the sound of the mix, just wish it was a little louder.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 11:54 AM

Middle Pickups must be fired
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:03 AM

Hie...i LOVE the middle pickup....probably coz clean sounds from humbuckers sound really really BAD??!!
anywayz....single coil in the middle alone sounds bad too....so....neck + mid = acoustic-like sound suitable for strumming!!!clear....not overwhelming...won't hurt ears...
steve himself said that he wanted a ..some sort of hollowy clean sound from his guitar.....from guitar world where they reviewed the green meanie i htink...
anywayz..LOVE single coils....lower for the ease of picking and the clearersound..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 03:59 PM

I agree. postions 2 and 4 rule. I would be missing something without them. the mid pu blends so well with the humbuckers on jems.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil split , custom jem , picking technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode