EVO's and Pinch Harmonics - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

EVO's and Pinch Harmonics

I recently got a JEM7VWH and I've discovered that some pinch harmonics on the third string, are hard to get and fade out quickly. When I get a pinch harmonic on the 9th or 14th fret of the G string and use vibrato, the harmonic fades away. Is this just how EVOs are?, because I have EMG-HZ pickups in my Jackson and pinch harmonics are extremely easy to get and don't fade away quickly. Why are pinch harmonics crappy only on the third string?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:14 PM

Re: EVO's and Pinch Harmonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman13
I recently got a JEM7VWH and I've discovered that some pinch harmonics on the third string, are hard to get and fade out quickly. When I get a pinch harmonic on the 9th or 14th fret of the G string and use vibrato, the harmonic fades away. Is this just how EVOs are?, because I have EMG-HZ pickups in my Jackson and pinch harmonics are extremely easy to get and don't fade away quickly. Why are pinch harmonics crappy only on the third string?
+1 - happens to me too
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Is that just normal, or is it something like a truss rod adjustment? Because it's sorta annoying
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 1

Have you tried lowering the pickup a bit? If the pickup is too close to the strings, the pickup's magnetic field can actually dampen the string's natural vibration and affect sustain. A pinch harmonic doesn't vibrate the string that much to begin with.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Yes actually, I did try that. It seems like it helped a little bit, but the problem is still there.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:33 PM

yea, strangely, I get much better sustained harmonics from the top E string than I do from the G-string

pretty strange cos every other guitar I have is the opposite...
in short, I dont know what causes it
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 05:25 PM

My Evo has pinch harmonics out the a$$ (couldnt resist saying that)

Are you still on the same set of strings that came w/ the guitar? Perhaps the string is at fault. A new set might clear it up.

It's just a suggestion, Ive yet to be dissapointed w/ evo, i get my best PHs at the 4th fret on the 3rd string(or maybe it's just the one i enjoy the most).
Although I enjoy them all PHs rule.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I lowered and raised the pickup over and over and I finally solved the problem. I'm sure after I perfect the intonation on that string that it will help even more. The EVOs are awesome pickups. The pinch harmonics sound so tasty! Thanks for all of your advice everyone.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:12 PM

I think this is down to player technique, when i got my 1550 i found i had the same problem, sorted it now though.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:21 AM

Most of the time it's the rest of your stuff. Digital modeling stuff (ie. POD) have a hard time with pinch harmonics. At least from my experience, I have a analog DS pad in front and it helps a ton.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
Most of the time it's the rest of your stuff. Digital modeling stuff (ie. POD) have a hard time with pinch harmonics. At least from my experience, I have a analog DS pad in front and it helps a ton.
i've never had any problem with pinch harmonics using digital modelers. must've been the setting you were using.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 PM

When I have problems getting pinch harmonics, it's because I'm not doing it right. And then I focus on what I'm doing, do it right, and I know it
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 09:12 AM

+1... I am crap at doing PH's! Badly need to learn the correct technique.

If it's just happening on 1 string, try adjusting the individual pole pieces on the PUs. That might help a bit.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild
i've never had any problem with pinch harmonics using digital modelers. must've been the setting you were using.
To each their own I guess, but I've noticed that digital stuff doesn't respond to PH as well as analog. It'll scream, but with less intensity and duration.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 09:30 PM

I wonder if you could get Zakk Wylde to try out your jem. That would be the test, he can't help but do pinch harmonics.

Try adding a little more mids to your set up, and try again. EVOs are pretty scooped.

Tags
pinch harmonics , rod adjustment , tone zone , triple recto , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode