Evos versus Breeds? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Evos versus Breeds?

aside from the technical differences, sound wise, what do you like more about each. Im thinking about switching from breeds to evos in my jem, is it worth it? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Fry

I put an evolution in the bridge of my dbk. It is definitely more in your face for soloing. I get way better harmonics with it, and it will feed back like crazy for me (which is good). But for metal riffs, the neck of the breed is very nice. For jazz, I put it into the middle between the breed single coil and the evo bridge, and it is OUTSTANDING! If you gave me a choice between only being able to use one for the rest of my life, I would probably go with the evolution. Hope this helps
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:56 AM

I've got a Jem with an Evo in the Bridge and a PAF in the Neck, which is my main guitar.

I recently got an RG550 and dropped a set of Breeds into it. I like the sound of the Breeds - They're about halfway between the Evo and the PAF sound (which is probably why they're named 'Breed', duh).

My only complaint about the Breeds is that Pinch harmonix don't jump out as easily. Other than that, They're a great sounding contrast to the Evos.

Not better or worse, just different. It really depends on what you're using it for.
~K
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 12:53 PM

I find the breeds to have a traditional tone but may be a little fuller and with a much higher output. I have no problems with pinch harmonics or any other harmonics while playing.

The EVO's I like, too, but I think they're a little more "brash" sounding.

Mike 777 Haug
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 07:31 PM

Since I've swapped out the Evo in the bridge of my Jem, the guitar has sounded meatier and fuller. Evo's seem to be great if you're going to run it through tons of effects and want clarity, but are just a little too harsh sounding to me... Pinch harmonics aren't a problem on the new pickup...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
Evo's seem to be great if you're going to run it through tons of effects and want clarity, but are just a little too harsh sounding to me...

My sentiments exactly. Chunky enough low end, tight, but the upper-mids and highs are very pronounced and in your face if you're not running through a lot of effects to take off the edge off.

Of the two, I'd go with the Breeds.

-Waylander
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 09:30 AM

Reviews: 1
I think the Breeds are a little hotter than Evos if I remember the graph correctly. I've got Breeds in my DBK and feel they are slightly tonally challenged. Hot, nut they don't have that "round", whole sort of sound I'm looking for. My DY has a FRED which I like....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 09:32 AM

I think the Breeds are a little hotter than Evos if I remember the graph correctly. I've got Breeds in my DBK and feel they are slightly tonally challenged. They are hot, but they don't have that "round", "whole" sort of sound I'm looking for. My DY has a FRED which I like....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:14 PM

Nah, of the two Evo's are hotter than Breed's, Steve uses a guitar with breed pickups for a smoother, more mellow tone for certain songs live if I remember rightly...

...although I could just as easily be wrong.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 03:00 PM

The graph did make it out to be like the Breeds were hotter than the Evos, but that doesn't show the actual output. It's right above the chart where it says output: ***mV. The bridge Evo has 404mV output, while the neck one has 200some. The Breed on the other hand has nearly equal output for both positions, the bridge with like 356mV output and the neck 320some. In this respect, the Breeds are more balanced. This is just the specs though, because I haven't tried either or even the PAF's. Good old remote city here, so no high end models of anything. I still think I'll be going with the Breeds for my RG550. You wanna know what's scary? The Evo is eaten alive by the X2N...the Evo only has 404mV while the X2N has 510. That thing must be able to make a Fender overdrive like a Bogner! Lol.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:37 AM

Praetorian wrote:

Quote:
The Evo is eaten alive by the X2N...the Evo only has 404mV while the X2N has 510. That thing must be able to make a Fender overdrive like a Bogner!
Just a few thoughts on high-output humbuckers: I've got a Seymour Duncan Invader that came stock in my Jackson -- it has about the same output as the X2N. Though the overall tone is great, I'm probably going to have to get rid of it because it's just too darn hot. Dynamics and subtleties go out the window, multi-string distorted chords turn to mush, and it plays hell with my noise gate.

On the other hand, the PAF Pros in my '88 JEM have relatively weak output, in the range of 280mV - 300mV. But still, I wouldn't trade them for the world... they give the guitar great string balance and definition. Even with the low output, that girl will absolutely shriek when you lean into her (inexplicably, moreso than the Jackson).

--jr
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 AM

Agreed - who needs a car with a motor that can only drive 90mph?

~K
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRasgueado
On the other hand, the PAF Pros in my '88 JEM have relatively weak output, in the range of 280mV - 300mV.
That's not at all low output. It's solid medium to highish-medium output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Agreed - who needs a car with a motor that can only drive 90mph?
I see your point, but most guitars have at least two pickups, whereas cars just have one motor.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:46 AM

i used my DBK (breeds) in the studio last night and the tone (5150 -clean channel & Tube Screamer- which is kinda funny as i never considered the clean sound on the 5150 worth a s**t!!!!)) sounds AWESOME!!! the neck pup was smooth for rhythms and the bridge was exactly the right balance to cut thru the mix. i didn't have to tweak the tone at all in the board and was told by the engineer that my tone was "the simplest to acheive and the smoothest he has ever enjoyed getting to mix". he had an sm57 in front of my Mesa half back (miced the bottom spkr) and an 81 in the sound booth for a "room" sound. what a GREAT mix!!
i also put an Evo in the bridge of my Strat and being the body is alder, like the 7VWH, it has a great (albeit high) output and a wonderful range of tone that can be accomadating to all styles with a simple turn of the volume knob on the guitar; and you know....i like that!!!
i say keep the Evo in an alder body and the Breed in a basswood body - that is what they were designed for - right?

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 09:32 PM

i also have a seymour duncan invader in one of my other Ibanez's (an early S Series) and to be honest, although it was good for rhythm, for lead it was awful as it was plainly too hot, the magnets were just too strong.

This may sound strange, but the sustain was incredibly lacking due to the overpowerful magnets stopping the strings vibrating far too early. The Evo's on the other had do not have this problem, and I love 'em, although can't say I have tried breeds, though I did consider a DBK before i bought my 7VSBL.

Tags
alder body , basswood body , duncan invader , evo bridge , neck pup , paf pro , paf pros , pinch harmonics , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode