Evos' vs Paf Pro - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Evos' vs Paf Pro

After a bit of help from you guys....

Now that I have taken all that gold hardware off my jem 7vwh and started playing it again, I am finding that i have to back off to 1 on the volume before there is a noticable clean up of the sound. (Semi high gain on a fender supersonic) On my pgm, which i have sold and ships on tuesday, which has on it paf pro's there is much more flexiblity and cleans up much earlier giving a bit better tone.

Do you think this is just because of the power difference in the pickups, does it have different volume pots or because the pgm is a solid block of wood without the trem? Any ideas ? both guitars have 10 gauge strings on

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:54 AM

Re: Evos' vs Paf Pro

It's because of the output of the pickup, but you could try also with a non linear volume pot
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 AM

If you have to go all the way down to 1 to get a noticeable change in sound you are either using some ridiculous amount of gain or your vol pot is knackered.
Sure, the Evo is higher output than a PAF Pro, but it isn't going to make as much difference as you are describing. As far as I'm aware the Jem and the PGM use the same vol pot.

Some things to consider:
Do you get the same problem on the neck pick up? The PAF Pro is actually slightly higher output than the Evo neck.
Does the volume change significantly as you role the vol pot down whilst using an uncompressed clean sound? If not, the pot is knackered.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
If not, the pot is knackered.
Quite possibly. On my rig, the PAF's are brighter (louder) and I find I need to back them off a bit vs. the Evo's
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

cheers for the advice guys. I have new amp since I last had the jem out, and have played around with the clean channel to get to the bottom of the problem.....
The neck evo is fine, but the bridge does have pretty big step up in volume compared to my pgm. Its off the the trades now for a weaker ladies 'humbucker lite'!

Tags
gauge strings , neck evo , paf pro , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode