Excessive string breakage...HELP!!! - On my Lo-Pro equipped - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Excessive string breakage...HELP!!! - On my Lo-Pro equipped

There was a time when I used to change my strings every 1 to 2 weeks but since I am not raking in the cash like I used to I can't afford it anymore. I usually change my strings every 1 to 2 months now since I don't gig anymore and I don't even have a band anymore. With my TRS equipped Sabre I am able to go much longer if need be. As a matter of fact, I don't break strings on the Sabre at all! I just change them when they go dead.

The Problem: String breakage on my JEM7DBK. I am going through strings like mad since buying this guitar a few months ago and I am stumped as to why. At first I thought it was because I was doing a few screaming pull-ups now and then so I stopped doing that totally and it didn't help. *I do a lot of speed rhythm but I doubt that's the problem either. I do not use a lot of force while playing, actually compared to most of my friends I have a very light touch. The trem is setup correctly (I double checked at the setup pages here just in case) but I'll be danged if I can find the reason.

The guitar tech at work told me to file the blocks ... I was like, "YER OUT OF YOUR MIND IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO ATTEMPT THAT!!!" LOL - With my luck I'll just make it worse!

This last breakage was really strange. I have never broken two seperate strings at the same time before!
What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have suggestions? That "OMG I just killed my baby!" feeling is heart breaking!

Thanx in advance for any help.

LJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Excessive string breakage...HELP!!!

What string is repeatedly breaking?

If the trem is set properly, you might want to add a larger angle where the fine tuner side of the trem is higher than the pivot points. This will change the operation of the tremolo, since it is has a slight rocker type motion in pulling sharp but lowering the string as it pulls sharp.

Next up, if you have a burr at the saddle that can create a major problem. *That would have to be smoothed down or replaced. Finally i'd suggest you limiting the fine-tuners and unlock the tremolo more oftent to retune... glen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Glen,

The strings that break most often are the A and D strings for some reason. That's why I though at first that maybe my speed rhythm was doing it.

The angle of the trem is ever-so-slighty forward. Not even an RCH worth really but it's there. So I should set it up so that it's a little farther back then? Not quite sure what you mean here so I'll wait until (IF) you reply again before doing that.

No burrs whatsoever, smooth as a baby's glutes. I'll try that with the opening the locking nut to tune a bit more but that sounds like a temp fix really and will be a bit of a hassle. I'll try it though.

Thanx Glen.

LJ
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 09:38 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

This sounds like a picking issue more than setup or the bridge. I would try another brand strings, or thicker A/D strings. Still watch overuse of the fine tuners. Use them for fine adjustments, not major ones. Good luck... glen
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 09:51 AM
rvj

Are the strings breaking at the trem or at the nut? Check for burrs at the nut. Also check the edges of the the locking pads on the nut. What strings are you using?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

They break right on the trem block at the spot where it curves into the locking pit. I was originally using Dean Markley .09s then switched to Ernie Ball Super Slinky .09s - no difference. I don't really want to go to a higher gage on the high E side ... maybe switching to a hybrid set (normal top/heavy bottom) like the EB Hybrid Slinkys would work? *Dayum, now why didn't I think of that? Maybe 'cause I never had the problem before.

Gonna try that on my next set change. Thanx guys.

LJ
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 04:36 PM

I have found a MAJOR reason for wound strings to break is overtightening the saddle lock. 800psi is not needed to hold the string in place. It should only take an 1/8 to 1/4 turn to snug them up after finger tight. The same goes for the nut. I play .09's and have never (in the last 15 years) had a string break on an Edge (lo-pro) trem.

J>
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 05:11 PM

I'm with Jimm. *Over-tightening the saddles is hard on the wound strings. *I constantly used to break my D strings, and my low B's on my 7's. *But I started to use a shorter snipe on my allen wrench when I tightened up the saddles and now I only break them on occasion. *Same with the nut, although it's tougher on the 7's on that middle nut. *I have to clamp it down pretty damn hard to keep the G string from slipping, as a result the D gets pretty squashed, but the strings don't usually break there. *The other thing that has saved me a time or two, is when you put new strings on, use as much string as possible and wrap it all around the tuning post. *Then, if one breaks at the trem, you can still unwind the string from the post and re-use it. *That's saved me numerous times during a gig!
Jeremy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I actually don't tighten the strings at the block all that tight (IMO *anyways) but then I don't really take a guage to it either. I'll definately watch better next string change.

As for the trick with lots of left over string around the post for a quick fix ... dang, I thought I was the only one who knew that trick! Blow my one and only chance at a patented idea why don't ya! LOL!

I really do appreciate all the help guys and will definately try these tricks next string change. Thanx bunches.

LJ
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 11:59 AM

I'm with Jeremy for sure. You want to check the string when it breaks. Does the string break right at the smashed point? Or does the string curve over the angled part and then break right at the point where it leaves the saddle? If all that is left when you pull out the extra piece of string is the flattened part, you are tightening the nut too hard. If you are pulling out a flattened piece of string with a plump section about 1/8" long on it, then it is definitely your saddle, and not your tightening. *Sometimes saddles can look smooth and still have burrs, or your picking style is to blame. The TRS saddles seem to have a wider, more relaxed curvature to them, which may lend itself to your speed picking style, whereas on the edge, the string rubs the sides of the saddle slot with each strum, not just the bottom. Look for burrs on the sides of the slot, too. But if your strings are breaking at the flattened point, it's probably the tightening. ALSO, *a lot of people check the saddle for burrs but don't check the angle at which the saddle "breaks" into the block hole. If there is a sharp corner there, it needs to be filed and smoothed. But edges are pretty good about that. I see that more on the TRS.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I just wanted to give a quick update on this.

I have not tried the hybrid gauge string set idea as yet (I still have a pack of normal 9 - 42 strings left to use up before I go buying more) but I put together a graphic that will show you what's going on.

As you can see it's not a case of over tightening. The flat ends are present and well behind the break. The funny thing is that the winding itself doesn't break, only the inner wire of the string. That tells me that it's not a saddle burr that's doing this either. This is really frustrating to me since I am a very light handed player and I have never had problems like this before with any other guitar I have owned.

Anyone got any insights into this mystery?

LJ
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 03:59 PM

my friend had that problem.....had no clue what it was either..... but I had a question about the string thing....I heard and seen tuning posts become broken from too much string on the tuning post...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 06:04 PM

:frog:

Just my .02 euro cents : try 9-46. Even if it's not a big improvement for your strings breaking problem, I think it's a good idea for someone who plays a lot of rythm. I personnaly use this in order to have more response on low strings (for my 7 I also use 9-46 + a .56 for low B).

Ten years ago (oh my god...), I was a serial killer too(remember another thread ?), and one thing that helped then was to put the trem more "forward" than the "ideal" setup, to soften the strings angle with the trem. It used to work. So if you go to 9-46 and don't add (too much) pressure on the springs to balance the change of gauge, it should work. But....

PS : my girlfriend is a german teacher, if I wasn't efficient enough with my english, I'll try to ask for her help. Though, I think "string" has a different meaning for her :biggrin:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Heya *frog (eddie)

Although I speak German fluently I AM an american who just happens to live here so english is fine. I adjusted the trem a bit for a little softer angle so we'll see if this helps any. I will probably switch to 9-46 strings next if that doesn't help.

My new name -> Papa D Rock - the serial killah! :laugh:

LJ
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 05:39 PM

:frog:

OK, my doubts were not on your english skills as a reader, but on mine as a writer

I hope my advice will work for you, but in fact, I think that what helped me more than anything else was the fact that I didn't have to attack the strings as hard as with a 9-42 set to make myself heard in the band :biggrin: !!!

Hope it will work for you, cause back in the 90's, "overbreaking" of strings nearly disgusted me to play : I had the impression that each time I'd look to my guitar, it would break a string !!!

I'm happy not to have this problem anymore, but maybe it's only because I don't pick as hard as I used to : something with getting old, maybe....

Tags
allen wrench , dean markley , ernie ball , guitar tech , locking nut , low strings , string breakage , trem block , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode