Fair price for Mint GMC and Jem 10th? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Re: Fair price for Mint GMC and Jem 10th?

I think 3500 is about right for a, average condition gmc. This one is in absolutely perfect condition. I ve had people interested in it willing to pay 5k, but I never considered selling it before. Same fo the 10th.

The 777gr is a different story. I used to own this same guitar several years ago. It is, without a doubt, the best sounding UV with the maple fretboard. But Im just not into 7s

But this time around Im considering selling all 3 of them.

Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I see most JEms selling used from $800-$1800.
Very few used JEMs get over $2000.
However, a GMC and a 10th are not 'most' JEMS... These are prime examples of those that would be worth more than 2k, especially on the non-US market...
jono is online  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Smile Re: Fair price for Mint GMC and Jem 10th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
However, a GMC and a 10th are not 'most' JEMS... These are prime examples of those that would be worth more than 2k, especially on the non-US market...
I agree-

Like I said before in this thread, $3400 and up!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:18 PM

It has alot to do with the exchange. The dollar is pretty strong so I wouldn't buy from the states right now.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
RCB

just as a reference, for what it's worth, I sold a sweet very clean PMC (with minor blemishes) for 4500+shipping. And an amazing (may be among the best swirls I ve seen) UV77MC for 6K (no dings or chips, but with veru ugly cracking in the clearcoat in where you rest your chest (sitting). Both were very cool swirls.

The thing is, for some reason, ATD seem to be more delicate tan MKRs. I had 3 MKRs and all of them where in perfect condition. The MKRs were bad sales, I regret selling those, the buyers got amazing bargains (2100, 2200 and 2400) all 3 in perfect condition (one of them had a minor chip).

The other 10th I had, also mint, was sold a buch of years ago for 4.5K

Prices seem to have stabilized in the past 3, 4 years or so.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Vendor

That UV was stellar but the condition was horrible. I'm surprised JP paid that for it. I seriously doubt that checking had anything to do with the swirl and everything to do with the clear and conditions of ownership.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 12:58 AM

In those years our euro was strong so that would be around 4000euro which I believe jp payed for it.
And I probably got your pmc.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That UV was stellar but the condition was horrible. I'm surprised JP paid that for it. I seriously doubt that checking had anything to do with the swirl and everything to do with the clear and conditions of ownership.
It was stellar indeed. I remember you also like the PMC very much and we were close to doing a trade for it (at the time I thought I was going to visit NY, but finally posponed that). You probably remember that guitar.

Back to the UV, the checking was a shame. But, to be fair, the only part where the clear had checking was where you rest your chest, in the back. In the rest of the of the clearcoat was fine. Still it was a shame.

I think that guitar was cared on loved by the prevous owner, but climate condicionts or his pa reacted badly with the clearcoat.. It had only chip (about 1cm, that was repaired because the previous owner kept the the bit that peeled off). Other tan the checking in that part in the back, there were no other chips, dings or nicks, the hardware and frets were in very good condition. It was weird and a shame.

I though of keeping it and having the clearcoat repaired. A local paintshop had completely restored an MKR that was painted black. They did an amazing job (and they did amazing swirls as well. It´s the same job that did the "perfect radius" with reflective paint I posted here, the shark "UCGR" and the Donnie replica.

A sample of the Jobs they do (a swirled RG 570):

The UV, very pretty indeed:

With favourable light the chegking in the countour for the chest didnt looked that bad. But the checking was severe and with unfavorable light, it was ugly.

But I couldnt bring my self to re do the original clear coat. In fact, I didnt really bought ir for me, otherwise I might have. I remember was living in mexico at the time, and the guitar was for sale in Argentina. JP initially contacted me about getting it for him. Talk about a logistical nightmare! I think I brought back the guitar to Mexico with me, and the guitar traveled to France from there.

The PMC shipped from Argentina. Also very pretty

I had my fair share of beautifull swirls, and had the pleassure of owning at least one of each of the original ones (91/93). I even liked the MKRs I had. I still love them, but the pricing in ATD swirls makes them hard to keep if you are not a true collector.

I would love a UV77MCRE or a DNA, but there are non in argentina, and it there were any, I doubt I ll be cashing out that kind of money for them. Those guitars in argentina are probably going to go for 10k, and I dont intend to part away with that kind of money.

I currently own more than 40 guitars, and in a good week, I play about 1 or 2 hours....

Last edited by RCB; 10-23-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:49 AM

I still think the PMC looks like somebody smushed a bunch of Laffy taffy together and threw it in some dirt

The swirl 570 is one of the best I've ever seen though. How much did that cost?
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
RCB

The 570 swirl is not mine. I have several guitars painted or built by them, but not the swirl. The current Price for a swirl would be around 150/200 USD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode