Fakes are scarily closer every year. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Fakes are scarily closer every year.

I might get a ticking off from the mods with this thread, but some of the guitars on this look too close for comfort. Buying a guitar of vBay will be a problem in a few years or maybe sooner. To be fair, the guy claiming to sell the fakes on here clearly states that his guitars are made in China. But these fakes are getting closer to the real thing too soon. Some of the PRS are looking like the real deal.

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Ib...-2064606.html#

I'm sure the experts will spot the flaws, but i can't see to many in the PRS, and i have had quite a few PRS over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Vendor

Re: Fakes are scarily closer every year.

Maybe the problem is you don't understand bait and switch. The pictures are of real guitars, then they ship you the fake crap that couldn't fool anybody. That's why they use the real pictures.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe the problem is you don't understand bait and switch. The pictures are of real guitars, then they ship you the fake crap that couldn't fool anybody. That's why they use the real pictures.
The Gibson Les Pauls on that site are not real Gibsons pics. They are clearly copies. But they are closer that ever.

This PRS is a fake, but much closer than before.
http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Fr...-1766327.html#
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Reviews: 2

that is interesting , i actually know alot about these fakes, and i have one in my posetion, i think that photo may be a real one the reissue from few years back which i had the chance of buying and didnt wish i had,
i have many ibanez guitars and a keen eye for detail. i saw a floral one on **** about 2 years ago, he said it was and rg77 a buget reissue ibanez did a few years ago. (i knew he was lying) we spoke on the phone. the guy said he would swap it for a fender strat. ( i had a fender strat mexican, and do not miss it) i arranged for him to bring the chibanez to the music studio i was teaching in. i listened to him, unfortunatly for him im good at psychology. and i had my rg 560 with me. i listened to the storry that it was his dads and he had bought it from a shop down south of england about 25 years ago, (i cant do the maths but this was in 2008 and im not sure how long the fp came out) anyways he apparently paid 600 quid for it. he wanted 300 for it. i knew my fender was worth that and i only paid 80 for it as i worked in a pawn brokers for a while. so i told him i was keen to swap it which i was in the first place as i could see in the photos it was a fake. i pointed out to him the details and here they are people,
the trus rod cover is to smal and wron angles, the tuners feel cheap, the headstock is a little fat. the neck is a c shape rather than a u shape, and is made out of wood similar to the cheep dean guitars, the frets are quite small, the inlays are very cheap looking. the body is very thin and very light, the angles of the body are not quite right and the edges are more rounded and less defined. the monkey grip is not cut right at the back, the cavity plates and electrical plates are wrong shape and in wrong place. the sctatch plate is the wrong shape, and dont fit perfectly on the lower horn, the pickups are pale pink and do not have that dimarzio shape the pole pieces are flat and silver they should be black big and allen headed for paf pro, the bridge has a screw in arm and the trem posts are rubish and the brushings are loose fit so its possible for the trem to fly off. the bar height is huge. and the neck joint is a bad interpretation of aanj it should not be aany on any floral even the fp2.
the pots are positioned wrong.
i kept it as a project guitar and it has been a bitch to set up i dont like its a fake, and it no way copares to a real jem. however i do like its sound very soft beautifull sound for clean. it dont play like a jem.,
the one interesting thing were it does score high is this.
it does actualy have real cloth for the finish. mine is dinged and you can see the stitching, and it does look to be the same or very similar to the real patten, and ibanez say they cant locate any more of the material, but the chibanez people can (thats interesting) i wonder why!/
since fitting a lo pro to my jem555, i put the lo trs in this one and changed the nut, trying to make it better.
the funny thing is while it is rated at a minus 5 compared to a real jem, it is a million times better more usefull that a strat to me,
i dont play it much however, but its nice to look at, and definatly worth a 100 quid if just as a piece of fan art.
all the best guys dont get ripped off ask a seller to send a photo of the actual item with a piece of paper with your name written on it and a message that it is guarrantedd original,
ask for a serial and get us to check it.
beware of fake gibsons also.
i reckon that photo is a of a real one it looks nice, but the one you recive wont look the same.
www.myspace.com/robhayesrockguitar
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenw5094 View Post
The Gibson Les Pauls on that site are not real Gibsons pics. They are clearly copies. But they are closer that ever.

This PRS is a fake, but much closer than before.
http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Fr...-1766327.html#
But that Floral is, and that's the one you linked. And that PRS isn't any closer than the Chibanez either. If this stuff is fooling anybody it's those that just have zero attention to detail and haven't spent a minute to learn any. They're all terrible to those that actually know the guitars.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 PM

quite right, its like anything in life never take it on face value. how often does the photo of a fast food meal actually look like wat your eating. that is the case here. they want your money. then they send you the crap, its really easy to see the difference.
quote frank zappa, asume everyone is an a"&*hole and then occasionaly when your proved wrong you wont be dissapointed.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 PM

Why not post a pic of your fake FP, would be interesting to see wehat the fake fabric looks like.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangingmonkey View Post
Why not post a pic of your fake FP, would be interesting to see wehat the fake fabric looks like.
They're red!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:26 AM

these ones on that site seem to look alot better then some others i have seen. im curious about the feel and build of those. do you guys think it would be worth the money to pick one up?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 AM

It really is amazing that they haven't nailed it 100%. They will I think. If a Van Gogh or a Mona Lisa can be copied to the point where ONLY an expert can tell, than they can do it to these guitars. They are getting better these bastards. But yes, that picture looks like an original FP.

It's funny, at my local GC, I am friends with everyone there, including the guitar tech. They all know that I know JEMs. So the tech says to me, "hey, come check out this JEM I got in to do a set-up on." Well, it was an acrylic JEM, but not a 20th (it had no green/yellow/pink swirls, just plain). He was skeptical, but wanted to ask me. I told him it was a fake. He said his customer (owner) said he knew it was real. So it goes to show you how many people have no damn clue.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Banned

You guys seem to forget that most everything those Chibanez manufacturers do is based on low-quality, fast build. They will never nail it down, because they don't want to put the time and effort into it.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston897 View Post
these ones on that site seem to look alot better then some others i have seen. im curious about the feel and build of those. do you guys think it would be worth the money to pick one up?
Noooooooooo!!!
You might want to watch that kind of talk here at Jemsite. Those a fightin' words!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 AM

Reviews: 25

if you want a real brand guitar you would not ever buy online from a chinese run website.....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:07 AM

Cool Re: Fakes are scarily closer every year.

hi there i will post some soon as can get chance all the best rob
www.myspace.com/robhayesrockguitar
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Reviews: 11

if it costs china a hundred bucks to make a fake to sell for a few hundred bucks then it'll NEVER EVER be scarily close. The only time Chibanez' will get scarily close is if they actually spend the time and money that Ibanez do to build one.... which defeats the purpose of them even doing it.

They'll always be easy to spot..... nuff said. Be careful on the Evilbay, if it's too good to be true then it probably is. If you smell a rat then turn your back.

If you're going to buy on evilbay, do your homework on fakes. Rich Harris has a good page for learning how to spot them.

Also...... the photos on that Evilbay page that was posted on here with the fake Jem are photos of a real Jem 77FP. What you'd recieve however..... would be very different...... only worth smashing onstage to look cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode