A fary tail from a brand new JEM-member. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

A fary tail from a brand new JEM-member.

About a year ago I first heard about the JEM. Ive been a Strat-guy since I started playing 22 years ago. Im not the guy who hate everything else, so I listened and tried to remembered every word they said about the JEM on a Swedish chat. Ofcourse I already knew about Ibanez but I didnt had a clue about Steve Vais signature guitars. Anyway, I searched for 3-4 weeks but I couldnt find "1" JEM for sale in Sweden. I didnt care what kind it was. I just wanted a JEM. At least I found a FP -88 in Stockholm. I talked to the guy several times on phone and he thought me everything i needed to know about the JEM. I bought his guitar for 700$. This is the point where the story begins. He said this to me. "If you ever will buy another JEM than my FP it has to be a MC or a LNG".

This was a Saturday, on Sunday I went through the web just for fun. I used a searchengine (Swedish) and looked for words like "JEM for sale". I got one hit. It was an ad in a newspaper down in the southern of Sweden. A small local paper. They had 2 instruments for sale. A clarinett and a JEM LNG #654. Those are really hard to find in Sweden cause we only got 10/777. I found it anyway *lol*. I called the guy. He sounded really surprised cause the ad was just 2 hours old and he thought he had to wait until Monday to get it in the paper. He didnt knew they released his ad on the net before the paper. Anyway, he bought it from a friend about -90 and they had both just played it at home. Except for a ding 15*7 mm on the lower backside it was in great shape. 9/10 I think. He had found a 777 SK, month before in a "for sale" ad. They wanted 600$ for it. He said his LNG was in such good condition so he wanted 700$. He didnt knew the LNG was worth twice as much or more. I got it for 600$ anyway . I sold my FP to a cousin and now I only have the LNG. Its enough for me together with my Fender Strats. I will never sell it and from that day its my #1 instrument. Im trying to let my Fenders breath air to, but I mainly play the LNG since then.

Ola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:59 PM

Nice story!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 03:04 PM

Nice Find...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 05:53 PM

What you did is called "stealing" and it is illegal. I'll drop by Skelleftehamn
and pick up that LNG as I'm the only one allowed to make finds like that.
Well, that's how it should be if this world was constructed correctly.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Ola and congrats on you LNG.

BTW: Did you get the handrest? What about the original case?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

No, I didnt get the handrest. Not the original case eighter. The sad thing is that a very big % of the JEM-buyers from -87 in Sweden lost those parts from the beginning. The dealers in Sweden was in such bad shape (BIG hangover) in the early JEM-days, so they just took an Ibanez case from the store and sold the guitar with it. They didnt knew that the JEMs where put in special cases. The buyers didnt eighter ofcourse and when they understod it it was to late to get the real one. As you understand we have lots of RG:s, Roadstar II:s etc etc with JEM cases and handrests in Sweden *lol*. The FP I owned was also from -87 with wrong case. I have talked to the first owner to my LNG though, so I know that its not stolen. It came from the store as it was when I got it. I have one of those where Vai put his signature on the plasticcover wich covers the wammysprings. The first guy got a new one from the store to have on the guitar so the original with the signature lays in the case with the plasticfilm still left on it.

Ola
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 01:14 PM
Vendor

Offshore LNG's were cased in whatever the distributor wanted to put them in. AFAIK there weren't any other specific LNG cases anywhere else in the world, in fact most of them in Japan are in gig bags so I'm pretty sure case was not included in most of the world also.

Tags
fender strat , fender strats , jem lng , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode