fast guitars - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

fast guitars

Is a Js neck faster than a Jem? I play a lot of yngwie, so before I buy a js, I wanted to know if it was pretty fast or not. I would just buy a yngwie strat, but I am not very fast on scalloped fretboards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 02:51 PM

I dunno which is faster ... I've never raced them

Rob
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 03:45 PM

In my opinion, it's not. The Js neck is bigger and rounder than the Jem neck which makes it less speed-friendly (at least for me). Of course everyone is different and the best way for you to find out is to try it out.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 03:51 PM

why do you people always think the equpiment is important for sound and speed? you can play fast on every guitar you only have to practice....
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 04:30 PM

It depends on your playing style. For me, thumb-behind-neck playing allows for much more speed on Wizard-style necks. The JS neck gives you more control of certain things, especially if you hold the neck in your palm, or have smaller hands.

Two disclaimers: coming from a Strat myself, it took a *long* time to adjust to a Wizard neck, and I pick about half the speed that Yngwie can.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I can play faster on my crappy ltd ec300 than on my friends telecaster, so obviously in my case I can play faster on some guitars than others. I was just curious if the js's multiradius neck is a slower neck than the jem, cause I didn't have a lot of time to play on the js.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 06:35 PM

you definitely need to find that out for yourself.

~A
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 06:47 PM

basically, a js neck is a strat style neck, whereas jem is more of a flat wizard type thing...So, if you like and play well on strats, you'll like the js. Whatever feels better for you is also going to make you play faster (but not necesarily better)...if that's you're going for...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 07:33 PM

If you are going for all-out shred, I would say the JEM is definitely your best bet, the neck is incredibly fast. The JS seems to be better for bluesy playing than the JEM, but if you can't play fast on a JS, you've got bigger problems to work out, it won't hold you back.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:19 AM

i can't see why playing a js would limit your speed. i mean... look at satriani, who obviously plays a js

also as someone said before: the js neck's measures are quite similiar to a strat neck which yngwie plays, apparently...

mostly depends on what you're used to... if you're used to a lespaul you'll have a hard time on jem/wizard necks... if you're used to some old jackson metal axe you'll do easier

i prefer the js neck due to fuller and richer sound (imo)... even though i have quite big hands

sometimes i got the thumb behind it, sometimes i use it to mute the e and a strings
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejem
I can play faster on my crappy ltd ec300 than on my friends telecaster, so obviously in my case I can play faster on some guitars than others.
I can play at the same speed on my Wizard neck as I can on my Telecaster neck, but the Wizard is much cleaner. This is more down to the 10 guage strings and high action on the Tele than the neck profile though... I'd say the major difference is in comfort; I can play for longer periods on the Wizard without getting a sore hand.

I'd personally say try them both. It takes time to get used to the thin profile of the Wizard, whereas the Js feels comfortable straight away (IMHO).
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa
i can't see why playing a js would limit your speed. i mean... look at satriani, who obviously plays a js
Agreed, but his speed comes mostly from legato technique, which can be pulled off on just about any neck. As far as picking goes, the Wizard and the JS necks are a world apart in terms of feel.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 03:50 AM

it's all flavor bro. not to toot my own butt, but I'm wickedly fast on any kind of neck, long as the action ain't mile high with heavy gauge strings.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejem
I can play faster on my crappy ltd ec300 than on my friends telecaster, so obviously in my case I can play faster on some guitars than others. I was just curious if the js's multiradius neck is a slower neck than the jem, cause I didn't have a lot of time to play on the js.
What actually multiradus neck is? I don't see a difference on my JS1000 and JS100
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaUV7
If you are going for all-out shred, I would say the JEM is definitely your best bet, the neck is incredibly fast. The JS seems to be better for bluesy playing than the JEM, but if you can't play fast on a JS, you've got bigger problems to work out, it won't hold you back.
Well said.... what I find is the Jem neck is really good for light blues playing (like Eric Johnson) and whatnot. The JS neck is a 9.5" radius, so as people have been saying it should feel more like a 60s strat neck, but a bit faster... very comfortable for rhythm and lead, perhaps the best of both worlds?

And what EnigmaUV7 said is absolutely right... if you cannot play fast on a JS neck, then keep practicing.

Tags
charvel model , danny gatton , eric johnson , gauge strings , guage strings , heavy gauge strings , jem neck , jumbo frets , legato technique , scalloped fretboard , strat style , yngwie strat , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode