Feedback - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Feedback

I'm a long-time Strat man who's looking to step into the future. I'm pretty in-love with the JEM in terms of looks and specs but I've never touched one. I know it's gonna be different than my Big Apple Strat in a lot of ways, and obviously the same in some.

The money is burning a hole in my pocket.

This is a stupid question but IS THE JEM REALLY ALL IT'S HYPED UP TO BE?

I think I'm gonna lay down my cash anyway. I just wanted some last minute feedback from the more experienced JEM owners out there. I suppose I could always sell it for damn close to what I'm gonna pay. I'd try one first but I can't find one locally.

Tell me it's gonna be okay!

Nervous...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:21 PM

Re: Feedback

well im not going to lie to you and say its the end all be all of guitars.

There is only one way to truly find out and thats get your butt in gear and head to the local shop and take her for a test drive.

Its nothing like your big apple strat at all, like comparing apples to oranges.

Its two different breeds of guitars, if they were cars one would be a custom cruiser and the other is built for speed
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 PM

I remember before I got my Jem, I had a lot of same thoughts about it. I knew they were supposed to play great, but I already had a couple of (cheaper) Ibanez guitars, and I thought "How much better can it really be?" Then one day, I happened to be in Guitar Center and a 7VWH was sitting on a stand at floor level, so on impulse I picked it up.

Literally within 10 seconds, I knew the Jem was something special compared to a standard Ibanez. The neck just played so effortlessly, the four scallopped frets which I'd questioned the need for making those high notes just that much easier to sound out properly. After just a few minutes, I had to set it down as I almost dropped the full brand new price of the thing on the spot and I really couldn't afford to do that at the time!

Within a month, though, I found my 7VSBL on the Bay and picked it up for $950 with a UV1000 case. I love the guitar and consider it very much worth the price I paid. For me, at least, the cost of a new one is a little much, but if you can and want to spend that kind of money on a guitar anyway, there's many worse ways you could go.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Do you think the JEM7VWH is overpriced?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau
Well.... In truth they are kinda pricey to me at least but they are like one of the best guitar I've ever laid my hands on!!!! You can't compare a strat and a jem it's like comparing muhammad ali and mike tyson
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
it's priced where it sells. they could raise the price a bit and sell the same amount or lower the price a bit and sell the same amount.... glen
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
As I said, for me, yeah it is. But then again, I like to buy lightly used guitars since you're often getting almost exactly the same thing but quite a bit cheaper. Put it this way: As with many of the good things in life, it's worth it if you have the money.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 AM

Well, tone is very tricky, I love the tone of the Jem, and it is very versatile, but you may just not like it. I don't really see that happening, just saying. But 1 thing for sure, you will not play a nicer feeling or playing guitar. You will start playing and immediately say "Holy Crap!!" Plus like you said, the resale will always be there. Go ahead, buy one, see you in here with about 5 of them in a year!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420
Go ahead, buy one, see you in here with about 5 of them in a year!

Hahaha Jemsites motto should be

Jemsite where your wallet gets lighter every week..

or

Jemsite where you go in debt with style

or

Jemsite Official sponser of Ramen Noodles
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 AM

I have a reasonably varied collection of guitars, but one of my favorites will always be my Jem 90th. After the kids go to bed I grab the guitar Im in the mood for off the wall in my music room and go noodle in front of the TV - more often than not, its the 90th.

DAMN THE FINGERPRINTS ON THAT PICKGUARD.

Jems are great. Anybody that likes to shred from time to time should have at least 1-20 Jems in the collection
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack2
Jems are great. Anybody that likes to shred from time to time should have at least 1-20 Jems in the collection

OMG this thread has literally made my night.. My roomate thinks im nuts cause I was laughing out loud.. 1-20 LMAO
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack2

Ummmm...,shouldn't that be 5 or 10-infinity Jems? Come On! Help Me Out Here! My Wife Is Checking This Site From Time To Time!

Paul
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R
Ummmm...,shouldn't that be 5 or 10-infinity Jems? Come On! Help Me Out Here! My Wife Is Checking This Site From Time To Time!

Paul
Hell yeah.
I buy a new Jem each and every week,with my wifes blessing. She understands that i am not a complete man without every wall in the house being decorated with jems (and the odd UV to spice things up).

I personally believe my jem (i paid about 1,800 dollars for it) was worth every penny i paid for it. I will certainly buy more when i have the funds to do so. Fantabulastic guitars.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
Jemsite where your wallet gets lighter every week..
Hit the nail on the head!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

All right then fella's. I'm goin' in. I appreciate all the feedback. After sleeping on it I decided it's still the guitar I want above all the rest right now.

Besides, when I look at the prices on some of the ESP signature models the JEM seems downright cheap! Not that I was thinking of buying ESP but they are silly high!

Thanks again. I'll post my JEM in a week or so when she arrives.

Tags
custom shop , ibanez guitars , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode