Feel of necks - Comparision of different necks - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Feel of necks - Comparision of different necks

I love the feel of the Ibanez Wizard neck, like on my 7PBK. But I was wondering how much bigger then necks of guitars like the 77FP or the 7RB compare? How much bigger are they? do they feel like a baseball bat, like the JPM models? Lemme know! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 03:45 PM

Feel of necks

You think JPM neck has a baseball feel??? Well its all just the matter of tast but have you played guitars with necks like Les Paul???

I personally like necks like Jpm. Round but not too big! I dont like the wizard necks so much cause their too flat and too thin. I have a wizard neck on my Rg2027 and Id actually like swap it but since Im not too rich person I think Im gonna deal with that neck. The wizard is still ok. Better than those huge baseball necks.

OoDee
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 04:16 PM

Feel of necks

This is directly from the last page of the 2001 USA Catlog
  • Jem Neck
  • Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
  • Width at Nut: 43mm
  • Width at Last Fret: 56mm
  • Thickness at First Fret: 19mm
  • Thickness at 12th Fret: 21mm
  • Radius: 430
  • Wizard Neck
  • Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
  • Width at Nut: 43mm
  • Width at Last Fret: 56mm
  • Thickness at First Fret: 17mm
  • Thickness at 12th Fret: 20mm
  • Radius: 430

I hope this helps

J>
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 04:19 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Feel of necks

you can compare all ibanez necks at the jemsite / guitar / necks section.

direct link here
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 06:18 PM

Feel of necks

hey glen...are you sure about the UV and Wizard 7 specs at that link. it says they have the same specs but i played them both back to back and the Wizard 7 definately feels thinner.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 07:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Feel of necks

Quote:
hey glen...are you sure about the UV and Wizard 7 specs at that link. it says they have the same specs but i played them both back to back and the Wizard 7 definately feels thinner.
I'm sure but remember, each neck is hand finished and there is some slight variation. These measurements don't really account for 'profile' and what you said goes along with the fact the Wizard necks (6 & 7) are a bit thinner front to back, measurments aside... glen
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:44 PM

Feel of necks

i always liked those pictures they had of the necks... you know, the cutaways where they were compared... * *i always thought it was interesting that the differences were so tiny, yet felt so huge!!!

they should bring those pics back, along w/ useful information. * hell, just UP TO DATE information!

(Edited by ShredHead42 at 11:45 pm on Mar. 6, 2001)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:54 AM

Feel of necks

Well, I have a question about the UV necks. *I've got a '90 UV7BK and a 2000 UV777BK. *I also had a '91UV7BK that got ripped off. *The two UV7BK's had substantially thinner necks than the UV777BK, my 777BK has the same size neck that the RG7's had (I had 2 of those as well) and I've been told that the UV777BK's from '98 and back had the same neck as the old UV's. *Is this just me, a fluke, or are all the new 777BKs built with a thicker neck than they used to be.
Glen, I realize they are all hand finished, but I'm talking about a couple of millimeters difference here, you'd have to be at it for a couple hours with 100 grit paper to make that kind of difference. *
Just curious, I really prefer the UV7Bk's neck to the 777BK.
Jeremy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 01:04 AM
site founder 0% owner

Feel of necks

I'd call that a fluke but i have not compared them to the 2000 UV777BKs. It is possible they retooled the UV profile recently, but I have not heard about that... glen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 09:10 PM

Feel of necks

My 77FP and 7DBK have the same neck specs (well, in the North American catalog, anyway ;-) but there's a huge, visible difference between the two! They don't even feel similar - never mind the same! *- and except on paper, they're very different. I also enjoy the rounder necks on my JPM and USRG10; I find they fill my hand much more naturally, and are more comfortable for playing all that thumb-over-the-top SRV and Hendrix stuff. But for sheer light fingered slickness nothing beats the DBK! My left hand flies when I'm playing that guitar!

Tags
ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem neck , jpm neck , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode