FINAL RULING ON CARRYON RIGHTS FOR FLYING - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

FINAL RULING ON CARRYON RIGHTS FOR FLYING

I know this topic comes up a lot so it's good to have a current thread of the current rules. This is good for the US only AFAIK but may extend to US carriers flying abroad also.

On December 30, 2014, the U.S. Department of Transportation finally issued a final rule to implement section 403 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (Pub. L. 112-95, 49 U.S.C. ß41724) regarding the carriage of musical instruments as carry-on baggage or checked baggage on commercial passenger flights operated by air carriers.

The final rule does not change the earlier provisions of the Act, but mercifully puts a period at the end of the sentence:

"Section 403 of the Act and this final rule provide that carriers are required to allow passengers to stow their musical instruments in an approved stowage area in the cabin only if at the time the passenger boards the aircraft such stowage space is available.

"With the exception of certain disability assistance devices, overhead bins or under seat stowage space is available to all passengers and crew members for their carry-on baggage on a “first come, first served” basis. Accordingly, carriers are not required to remove other passengers’ or crew members’ carry-on baggage that is already stowed in order to make space for a musical instrument. However, this also means carriers are not allowed to require a passenger to remove his or her musical instrument that is already safely stowed (e.g., in the overhead bin) to make room for carry-on baggage of other passengers who boarded the aircraft later than the passenger with the musical instrument.

"This is true even if the space taken by the musical instrument could accommodate one or more other carry-on items."

The DOT has also provided a helpful page with links to procedures for complaining to an airline or to the DOT regarding air travel with instruments, and tips for traveling with a musical instrument, available here.

Best practices? PRINT A COPY OF THE RULE AND CARRY IT WITH YOU WHEN YOU TRAVEL so you can stop arguing with that officious ticket agent who insists that you have to check your guitar as baggage or buy another seat for it. And exhale. While you’re at it, add a couple of words—we call that singing. And this is definitely worth singing about!!

Moral of the story, pay to get on the plane early for best available storage!

The link to the complete ruling.

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fil...nstruments.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 AM

Re: FINAL RULING ON CARRYON RIGHTS FOR FLYING

yeah.. get a seat in the section of the plane that loads first! Good to know this stuff. Thanks Rich!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:50 AM

Gigging and air travel, and getting ulcers? Where do I start?

My drummer and I thought about how to tour Japan while traveling from California. We came to the conclusion that we would buy decent enough gear in Japan, use it, and then donate it or sell it cheap. While we didn't tour this year, due to flying (all other gigs were reachable by car), we will just show up somewhere in Japan and buy the gear. The thought of getting flight cases for maybe half a dozen Ibanezes, Fenders, and Gibsons and the Marshall amps just didn't make sense. We aren't rock stars who have a record company paying for all of this!

I can get by with RG420/421 I purchase when I land and be more than happy and use a 40-50 watt transistor amp with clean/dirty channel and single footswitch. My drummer could get by on a simple 5 piece set without all the bells and whistles so we didn't see the need to travel on an airplane with our favorite gear. The key is to get the music out, have fun, meet people, and there's no need to sacrifice our gear here or put up with expensive transport costs or issues with luggage. We have been playing together so long, two decades under all types of circumstances, that I don't think the gear would make any difference in how we sound anyway.

I did come up with final idea before tour, which we cancelled anyway, which was to find a Jemsiter in Japan who played, use him on guitar, and we could go around in van and tour that way. We would only have to buy small PA and drumset and we could ship PA board back to states and ditch the rest on return home. Shipping bulky PA speakers and drumset from Japan to USA actually costs more than the gear. We were thinking of using Mattias Tolki on that one but he dodged that bullet being thrust into a situation where the great drummer we have would want to play guitar (which doesn't work) and we would fight over being the musicians people like (more towards pop/Green Day) versus what drummer likes (Shrapnel shredder stuff). My partner and I get along well but we have a ton of history and that's never easy to bring a third person into that mix since we just play originals or very obscure B-sides at best.

What we wanted to do was put me only on vocals, so I don't have to fight with drummer over guitar duties, and put Matias on guitar and call it a day. He could play guitar and focus on that, I could sing as was my role only for many years, and drummer could drum. We would only need to pick up bassist and then things would be complete and I know Matias would have known somebody. Where each member has a role nobody else has input to can make a great situation where everybody is busy doing their part so there's no battle over tiny details. Of course in studio recording everything is game and people put their heads together and hash it out, hopefully peacefully. But while gigging, it's enough to deal with traveling and audience so people tend to do their part and make it work under those time constraints which is why live gigs can be refreshing.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-15-2015 at 12:04 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 AM

way to much tekst, can somebody put this on audio format so i can listen?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morien View Post
way to much tekst, can somebody put this on audio format so i can listen?
You can put your gear in the over head bins on planes if there is room. They can't remove it, even if it takes up enough space for multiple items from other people.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If I'm reading it right, it has to qualify as carry-on in the first place to be fit from this ruling!

I do t tend to fly on US domestic flights, but do travel in Europe and to Asia a lot. On most international flights carryon sizes are limited and a guitar case would meet the carry on definition in the first place so wouldn't make it into the cabin to qualify for this.

That said we Europeans often moan about the size of luggage that Americans will sometimes try to bring on board. Usually they end up checking it because it's prohibited from getting into the cabin.
jono is online  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

The ruling means that the fact it's a musical instrument makes it approved "carry on", as long as there is room for it on the plane at the time you board. Obviously this would rule out an upright bass that wouldn't fit anywhere in the plane but cargo, but guitars fit in any overhead, making them eligible.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 AM

try the a380
it is designed for tripple necks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morien View Post
try the a380
it is designed for tripple necks!
We simply need a folding, triple neck, short scale guitar.

Tags
carryon , flying , guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode