Finally bought a Jem, but heartbroken now in need of help. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Finally bought a Jem, but heartbroken now in need of help.

So I walked into a GC with the intention of buying the EVO pickup set to throw in my RG 2550, and what do I see hanging on the wall. A Jem7v-WH on clearance (read, cheaper and nonreturnable) for $2009. I pull it off the wall and look at the Serial on the back of the headstock to see its from 2008. It had old stings wasn't properly setup, but wasn't terribly out of tune, so I plugged it in. Didn't like it much in the Orange amp but was better in a Vox. They have the case with the tools, no bar but threw one in from the wall. They knocked the price down even more to $1875, at which point it was getting bought.

So get it home slap fresh strings on it and adjust the trem, but then problems crop up that I didn't not notice in the store. First the tone knob seems to be functioning backwards, rolling it down makes it brighter and louder and the opposite when rolling it up. Then I noticed I couldn't get any kind of clean sound out of it and seems to be missing the highs you would expect from the EVO pickups, and generally sounds quite muffled. Since I'm basically stuck with this guitar that looks and feels wonderful, but sounds like ****, I need to figure out whats wrong with it. Anyone on here have any ideas about what could be going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Finally bought a Jem, but heartbroken now in need of help.

Are you any good with electronics?
If not, print out the wiring schematic and get someone who understands it to have a look.
It is probably some wiring that is wrong.
A tone pot works this way. Three slugs where hot is wired in the middle and out is one of the sides. If you switch the outer ones the direction of the pot is reversed. Not a big deal.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM

yeah, sounds like a wiring issue. get it rewired the correct way, what does the control cavity look like?
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I am half decent with a soldering iron, and have done pickup and pot swaps in my other guitars. I did open her up and look inside. All looked fine except how the humbuckers were wired the VLX91. They weren't done in the way I used to seeing Dimarzio pickups, but I was also unfamiliar with the VLX91. It also didn't match the diagrams on the dimarzio or ibanez sites. Despite the fact that I managed to find info that indicated it was a valid wiring, I redid it anyway. It didn't help muffled sound problem. The pots looks like they are wired properly, but I'm thinking they or the caps may have gone bad. One of my guitars may be getting sacrificed in favor of the Jem, maybe this RG 920.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Congrats on your purchase! The 7V is pretty much the coolest guitar on the planet, IMO. Did you happen to get the guitar from the Cherry Hill store?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM

check the numbers on the back of the pickups to see if they have been swapped out.
It sounds like the wiring has been messed with.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Box View Post
Congrats on your purchase! The 7V is pretty much the coolest guitar on the planet, IMO. Did you happen to get the guitar from the Cherry Hill store?
Plymouth meeting store. I've always wanted one, and was too excited to see one in store when I could afford it.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
check the numbers on the back of the pickups to see if they have been swapped out.
It sounds like the wiring has been messed with.
Yeah the pickups had basic dimarzio info stamped on them but also some stickers that said v2 and v3. Neither pickup sounds right, while I've never had the evo neck I used to have the bridge in a s470. All switch positions sound terrible compared to my 2550 and 920.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Sounds like the EVO set was taken out and replaced with cheep pickups.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Sounds like the EVO set was taken out and replaced with cheep pickups.
They say dimarzio on top and the bottom plate says Dimarzio Pickups Made in USA, there just isn't a model number on the plate. The stickers just look like they were put on at the factory cause the ibanez parts site refers to them as a different part name internally.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
They say dimarzio on top and the bottom plate says Dimarzio Pickups Made in USA, there just isn't a model number on the plate. The stickers just look like they were put on at the factory cause the ibanez parts site refers to them as a different part name internally.
I've replaced both Evos from my 7VWH and they really don't come labeled as DP158 or DP159. Are the stickers blue?
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

So since I can add images now
From the wall.

To my bed.

Gear:
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

So I just realized what else doesn't match the wiring diagram. The signal wire out of the switch is passing through the tone knob then into the volume.

Gear:
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

OMG if only I had realized that before ripping the pots out of my RG 920. So I put the stock volume pot back in the Jem and fixed the wiring. It now sounds like the sex as it should. There are a bunch of names and initials on the inspection card of people that need punched in the face, but I'd imagine that is the reason it was still in the store on clearance. I'm gonna go finish learning the solo to tender surrender now, and eventually put the 920 back together.

Gear:
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
OMG if only I had realized that before ripping the pots out of my RG 920. So I put the stock volume pot back in the Jem and fixed the wiring. It now sounds like the sex as it should. There are a bunch of names and initials on the inspection card of people that need punched in the face, but I'd imagine that is the reason it was still in the store on clearance. I'm gonna go finish learning the solo to tender surrender now, and eventually put the 920 back together.
haha I think you're right. If it got you a discount, that's pure gold man.
Those solder joints look factory to me.

Tags
ibanez , jem , ngd , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode