Finally going to get a Jem.. But not sure which one - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Finally going to get a Jem.. But not sure which one

I finally have enough money to get a Jem! But I'm just not sure which one to buy, since there's no way I could go out and play these. In all the guitar shops in my area I've only seen one used Jem (a 7vwh for $1900) in three years.

I'm planning on also buying a PGM (not sure which model yet, waiting to see the new "affordable" fireman), and a JS (1000 or 1200). Currently only have an RG2550z(all stock). I'll be playing through a Legacy, and in a few months an AxeFX.

I'd like the Jem to fill the role of my lead guitar and overall main axe. But I'm not sure which Jem would fit that role best. Would it be one with Breeds or Evos? And some of them have slightly different necks right, like the DBK? Do you really get blue hands when you play a BSB?

While I'm not extremely worried about the looks.... I do have a soft spot for the 7VWH and 7VSBL.

Any help is reeeeallllyy appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Finally going to get a Jem.. But not sure which one

More info on your part is needed for anyone to supply decent advise: location, type of music you play, amp you'll be running it through, budget, etc...

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
More info on your part is needed for anyone to supply decent advise: location, type of music you play, amp you'll be running it through, budget, etc...
Sorry, I live in Ohio but I was planning to order it online since there's really none in my area.

Well, like I said I'm mainly looking to use it as my main axe so versatility is nice to have. I'm not planning on playing anything super heavy with it though, mostly a progressive or shred lead tone.

As I mentioned I would be running it through a Legacy. The 2x12 combo version. And eventually I'll buy an AxeFx.. Whenever they're in stock.

Well, for budget I would like to stay as close to 1k USD as possible but as this is going to be my main axe I wouldn't have a problem shelling out more for say, the 7VSBL/7VWH. But I wouldn't spend more than probably 1600, which should cover most of the Jems I'm looking at. (Used at least)
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

If the 7VWH is your favorite, then get that one. It's sooooo hard to "recommend" a guitar to anyone, regardless of musical taste for the simple fact that what's gooou?d for some may not be for others. I have a Jem 77VBK and love it, but my RG-570s play just as great. Pickups can always be swapped out, so don't base your decision on what's stock. Where in Ohio are you? It's hard to believe that there aren't any music stores within a reasonable drive that don't have a Jem or two to test drive. When you plan on dropping that kind of dough for a guitar, you absolutely MUST play it first--refer back to my comment about what's goodfor some...

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM

try before you buy is a must. i bought a JS1200 and a Jem77v to be my main axe but now they just sit in there case and come out every so often. i got an ESP KH2 and have found i like playing it more. nothing wrong with the JS or Jem, its just the ESP feels more right for me.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM

Yuppers, but if you cannot play before you buy your sort of setting your self up for disappointment in a way. Basic differences between breeds and evo's are the evos are a little bit thinner, not better or worse by any means just thinner which you can hear on steve's records. I think i read your post wrong did you say your buying a JS or pgm as well?

As far as personal preferences go between the VSBL and the VWH well its just that visual the vsbl is more rock and pure awesomeness in looks of course. I own a vwh and its more of a breath taking guitar if that makes sense.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Look for an older ebony 7vwh...it was the first JEM I bought and that got me started. That was 6 JEMs ago.....they're like crack!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 PM

If your ordering online, I would recommend a shop that has a good return policy just in case it turns out to not be what your looking for. Most might disagree (as many have not had good experiences) but if you can find a reasonable guitar from guitar center you can have them ship it to a store near you. If it turns out to not be what you want you can just tell them no thanks.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I would definitely prefer being able to try one and buy it in person but there's only a few stores around here that carry Ibanez and their selections are a little slim. Guitar Center has a JS or 2, 0 prestiges and a 7vwh that's been there for a long time. Sam Ash will have like 1 prestige, last time I was there they had a JS1600 though, which I played for a bit and enjoyed it quite a lot. I will definitely try the 7vwh the next time I go up there, though I don't really plan on buying that one from GC. If I bought a new one it'd definitely be from IbanezRules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
Basic differences between breeds and evo's are the evos are a little bit thinner, not better or worse by any means just thinner which you can hear on steve's records. I think i read your post wrong did you say your buying a JS or pgm as well?
Ah, that's good to know. So the breeds still give that great middy lead tone? I've listened to the clips on DiMarzio's website a few times but my computer's sound is _terrible_ so I try not to judge by that too much.

Yes, I am planning on buying a JS (probably 1000 or 1200) and PGM later. I mentioned that because I know some Jems are basswood and some are alder, some have PAF pros some have Evos or Breeds, and I figure that would leave some Jems sounding a lot like the JS and I would prefer getting one that doesn't sound so similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractionallz View Post
If your ordering online, I would recommend a shop that has a good return policy just in case it turns out to not be what your looking for. Most might disagree (as many have not had good experiences) but if you can find a reasonable guitar from guitar center you can have them ship it to a store near you. If it turns out to not be what you want you can just tell them no thanks.
That's actually how I got my Legacy. It was a real pain getting the money to them, they wouldn't take my card over the phone and I had to pay at another Guitar Center and them send the money over. The Legacy was in really good shape when I got it though, and they gave me a really good price on it, needed a retubing really quickly though. But I wouldn't mind doing that again since, If I don't like the one I get I could return it at the local GC.

Thanks a lot for all the replies and PMs. I really appreciate the help.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 AM

If u have a soft spot for the 7WVH then thats the one for you.

If you dont get that one now, you will always be thinking "what if"
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 AM
Banned

Just out of curiosity, where in Ohio are you?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 06:45 AM

If you're looking for a 7VWH, your best deals will be on 2004-09 models. I may have this year wrong (it might be 2003) but that's when Ibanez switched from ebony to rosewood fretboards and from the LoPro Edge to the Edge Pro. In 2010, they kept the rosewood but went back to an original Edge.

This has had the effect of hurting the prices of all the Edge Pro models. The Edge Pro is not widely loved by Jem enthusiasts, but it really is known for being a quality trem. The main knock against it is that it isn't and Edge or LoPro Edge and isn't what Vai actually uses (Edge). I have two guitars with Edge Pros in them and I'm happy with them.

So if you set out looking for an Edge Pro 7VWH, you can probably find one in the $1200-1300 range if you're patient.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM

jem 7vwh and pgm301
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Owning a Jem 77BRMR, I can say that the breeds are the smoothest pickups I've ever had in a guitar. You would have a hard time forcing an ice-picky note out of them.

I'm not sure how protective you are of your guitars when playing, but if you wanted a Jem as your main axe and plan to play out alot, I'd look for a used Jem 7DBK if you're a little harsh on your guitars when playing. That way, you won't really have to worry about small chips & whatnot on a nice pretty guitar....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: Finally going to get a Jem.. But not sure which one

i would buy a jem 7vwh from rich( at ibanez rules) because you get a finely tuned and setup guitar, that will be a solid axe from rich. also the new jems have better reinforced necks than the older ones and it has THE ORIGINAL EDGE brand new in it. the setup alone is priceless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode