Finally got a Jem - love it. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Finally got a Jem - love it.

A short time ago, I posted that I bought a Jem777DY and it turned out to be a scam. Thankfully, I got my funds back from Paypal.

Well, I finally got one. It came yesterday and it's amazing. I traded my Gibson ES339 for this guitar. I wasn't playing the Gibson at all - just didn't bond with the smaller hollow-body...didn't have the full sound I was looking for.

I've read a lot of reviews here and other places about how great these guitars are and I've been keeping my eyes out for one.

Well, I found one listed here for trade and was able to make a deal that worked for both of us.

The neck on this guitar feels great. Not sure what finish is on the backside, but it's silky smooth. Feels a lot like the unfiinshed neck I have on my homemade strat. I think the ebony board really helps the fingers slide over the strings too ( I used to think that was BS, but it feels great)

The neck profile feels round on the sides, but a bit flatter on the back. To me, it feels like a blend of a my strat and SG necks. Definitely different than all my other guitars and I really like it.

The floating tremolo is a lot of fun and stays in tune nicely. Pickups sound great too. I was a bit surprised with the great sounds you get in the bridge/middle and middle/neck pickup positions.

This guitar really makes me love my Mesa MKIV. I was getting close to putting that up on the trading block because I was always choosing to plug into my Marshall DSL...but with the way the JEM sounds into the MKIV, I'll be keeping it.

I think I found a new favorite...but only time will tell.

Here's a few pics.

Thanks Joey (torgeot) for the great guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Re: Finally got a Jem - love it.

Nice one. My favourite 7VWH. One piece maple neck, Lo Pro bridge and the ebony.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
A Les Paul, JEM and a Strat. What more do you need? Of course, you always want more, that's the most exiting part about music, isn't it?. But if I had those 3, I'd be content. I've got 2/3s of that.

Awesome guitar, I've loved all the JEM's I've ever played. CON-GRAT-U-LAY-SHONS.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Need vs. Want...that's a conversation I have with my wife often.

She thinks I only need 1 guitar and one amp.

I think I need all 15 guitars and 4 amps I have....and I really still NEED a few more guitars that are on my wish list that I plan on getting sometime this year.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 7

congratz, welcome to the club.
i'm sure u'll love that guitar.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 AM

Reviews: 13

Enjoy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 5

Looks like you got an older model with all my favorite specs- lo pro and ebony board
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
Need vs. Want...that's a conversation I have with my wife often.

She thinks I only need 1 guitar and one amp.

I think I need all 15 guitars and 4 amps I have....and I really still NEED a few more guitars that are on my wish list that I plan on getting sometime this year.
I hit 30 guitars and got the evil eye. She lets a guitar delinquent have his dalliances, thankfully, or I'd have NEVER gotten the Fireman. LOL
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Looks like you got an older model with all my favorite specs- lo pro and ebony board
I have both the older model and the newer model with 5 piece neck. The older one piece is definately a thicker neck. It sounds more full too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenw5094 View Post
I have both the older model and the newer model with 5 piece neck. The older one piece is definately a thicker neck. It sounds more full too.
Maybe it's changed since then, but when I bought my VWH ( 1998 ), the neck profile was a bit rounded and the entire neck felt wider than your standard Wizard neck. I don't know if it contributed to tone, but it definitely felt better to my bigger hands.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Maybe it's changed since then, but when I bought my VWH ( 1998 ), the neck profile was a bit rounded and the entire neck felt wider than your standard Wizard neck. I don't know if it contributed to tone, but it definitely felt better to my bigger hands.
The 5 piece are thinner alright. It sounds naturally thinner too.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Enjoy your 7V...looks very nice and I really like the ebony board and lo pro. I just got a 1999 JEM77FP with lo pro and I am loving it...(My first Ibanez)...Can't believe how could I have passed a Ibanez all these years....now, I am looking for a JEM77V...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM

I built mine from scratch. kinda looks like Steve's "Bad Horsie "gtr. I couldn't be any happier or more connected to another instrument.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogalaxy View Post
I built mine from scratch. kinda looks like Steve's "Bad Horsie "gtr. I couldn't be any happier or more connected to another instrument.
Lets get a pic up of that, please!!

Tags
jem7 , new guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode