Finally got to play a JEM! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Finally got to play a JEM!

WOW! I have never seen a JEM guitar for sale at any music store in town EVER. We had a Guitar Center open here about a week ago and went up there tonight to check it out. Low and behold, way on the top row was gorgeous 2011 JEM 7VW. They let me try it out with a line 6 combo. All I can say is that it was absolutely amazing! The EVOs just sing and pinch harmonics were effortless. The fretboard was the smoothest, easiest playing board I have ever felt. Maybe the 6105 frets? I especially liked the scalloped frets on 21-24. Never tried those before and WOW. I've always had a little trouble bending up there on a regular board but that JEM was effortless. Congrats to Ibanez and Steve Vai for making the most awesome guitar on the planet! After 30 minutes I had to have them take it away. I've now got JEM envy and a serious case of GAS. $2600 is way out of my price range but maybe a used one is in the near future. Old news to most of you but I fulfilled one dream today. Just to see and play a JEM in person was magical!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 8
Re: Finally got to play a JEM!

Hang in there. Your dream will become reality some day.

I finally achieved my dream of owning one about 3 weeks ago. Bought her brand new. It was my dream to own one for over 10 years. Hopefully your dream won't take as long to become reality as mine did.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 PM

I know that feeling, brother.

Back in 96' or 97', I took a trip to NYC, went to Manny's and saw/played the first JEM I ever played (7VWH). The second I turned and saw it on a hanger my blood pressure went through the roof.

6 months later, I moved there and went back to Manny's and bought a 7VWH. But I still remember turning that corner and seeing it and playing it....that was the day I forgot entirely about Strats.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM

I know how you feel. I got my first JEM back in 88 - a JEM7PBK. I still own it and am still playing it today.

As soon as I saw it in the shop I knew that there was no way that I could live with someone else owning this instrument. Scraped up the money (I forget exactly how much but around $1700 Aussie dollars rings a bell) any which way I could and paid it off over a few months.

Stay focussed, you'll get one eventually!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 AM

Metalhead - Don't forget there are PLENTY of 'pre-owned' Jem's out there like you said which offer really great value... It's a good time to be a buyer and you'll have plenty of choice when you have your budget. Take sometime to decide on the model you want (try em' where possible) and you won't be disappointed.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 AM

I wanted a JEM really bad and to save some cash I bought a Prestige 2550 instead. Played it for a few months but soon realized I had to
have the JEM. So I sold a Strat and traded in the 2550 and an Acostic
Ibanez I had. I threw in about $300. cash and walked out with the JEM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 AM

I sat with a 7VWH and JSX head at a Guitar Center about 4 years ago. IF I would have had the money at the time, I would have bought that combo right then. The most easiest playing, awesome sounding guitar I have put my hands on yet. OMG I'm still dreaming too.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Reviews: 2

I collected guitars for years....top USA models from every brand I ever wanted to try. After getting my Jem 7vwh, I began selling off guitars for more Ibanez. 5 years later, I'm still most at ease and play my absolute best with an Ibanez guitar. I can't imagine a better neck for me.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 PM

I've never seen a JEM in real life either, let alone played one...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Reviews: 2

I miss those times...my first jem was extra special because it was when the swirls were nothing special on the used market and I picked up a Jem77GMC for $800. This was 95' and the white jem was pretty new. I miss that guitar.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Lately, I've been considering selling my '91 USA Custom Cosmic Swirl and getting either a '02 VSBL. I think the '02 has a Lo-pro Edge and the 03-04 has the Edge Pro. A FP would be godd too. Although the 7VWH was beautiful, I miss the colored JEMS as I'm sure everyone else does. C'mon Steve, black and white and now black, white and red. The world is a beatiful place an FULL of color!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:06 PM

I've never seen one in real life. My dream guitars are the JPX 6, and a JEM777DY. The only electric guitar I've ever played is my own, an Ibanez Gio, I wonder what my moment will be like once I see and play a Jem or JPX.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
I collected guitars for years....top USA models from every brand I ever wanted to try. After getting my Jem 7vwh, I began selling off guitars for more Ibanez. 5 years later, I'm still most at ease and play my absolute best with an Ibanez guitar. I can't imagine a better neck for me.
You too!!! I've gone through countless Fenders and Gibsons, and many others, but when I played an Ibanez I was hooked. There's no turning back now. When I go into music stores I immediately check out what Ibanez guitars they have and my local music stores and pawn shops call me when they get a used Ibanez in and give me first dibs on it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Reviews: 11

yep, they're truly amazing when you first play one. Any quality Ibanez really. They're in a league of their own, especailly the Signatures, ala PGM, JS, Jem, UVs etc...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

My first real Ibanez was a '91 RG760 in jewel blue in the mid '90s. I currently have a '91 USA Custom Cosmic Swirl and a '95 RGR470 MIJ (Japan only model with wizard neck and edge tremolo) so I'm no stranger to Ibanez quality, but that new JEM was utterly amazing. Top of the line. I've always been an Ibanez guy and will be for life!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode