finally got to play a JEM! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

finally got to play a JEM!

I was in gothenburg yesterday and in one of the stores they had a JEM7DBK. so I thought "hey! a JEM! I want to test it!!". So I take it down and start playing it a little. And I don't get it. It felt like just about any RG I've tried. the handle, which I had figured should feel pretty comfy to hold, felt too small. the holes are the right size, but the handle felt small and uncomfy. And my first thought was "is this it? shouldn't these feel like heaven?". plus it didn't look like the $2000 guitar it is over here...

Now, I didn't plug it in or play it for a longer period of time, so maybe this is just some "damn I wish my guitars were playable because they feel so damn good" kind of thing.

please tell me the other JEMs feel better than the DBK! Please tell me there's a JEM with a slightly fatter neck (I tried a MIM 50īs RI and that neck worked pretty nicely for me)! Please tell me the handle doesn't feel so small on all of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 11:45 AM

Yes the handle is "small" if you think so...I think it works just fine!

And the VWH has a fatter neck than the DBK, and the earlier 777s and such had an even fatter neck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 12:35 PM

the dbk has a wizard neck on it so it is like a fancey rg
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

maybe I should be looking at the 777's then. what's the 77FP like? anyway, the 7dbk is definitely not going to be hanging on my wall in the future...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 02:05 PM

The FP's have a much beefier neck. I always thought the DBK was kind of an entry level JEM - but a JEM nonetheless!

Now the VWH - there's a JEM. Much more in the way of appointments alder body, abalone inlays, evo pups, ebony board, etc...

You get what you pay for.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 04:22 PM

Yup. I agree with Mark, the DBK neck profile was too thin for me. As stated, you'll find a thicker neck on the VWH/VSBL,FP,some others.
The DBK is a great guitar and it's IMHO pretty close to any other Jem so if you really disliked the DBK (besides the look or neck profile) then I'm not sure you would like a Jem.
As for the handle I never use it as a handle. The handle to me just adds to the character. It you want something with a functional handle try a
UV1000 or a suitcase.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 3
having played the 7VWH 7VBSL 777SK 77FP and a quick go on the 7DBK

out of the lot the 7VWH feels the most magic to me closely followed by the SK and the VSBL, the DBK didnt impress me too much really
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

it wasn't so much that I disliked the DBK as a feeling of "is this it?". I had figured it would feel pretty damn good (after all, it is a JEM) but it felt like just another guitar. I wish I had tried the LNG when they had that in... don't know why I didn't...

Tags
abalone inlays , alder body , ebony board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode