Finally i join the club - BFP on its way. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Finally i join the club - BFP on its way.

All disasters aside....mind you knowing my luck at the minute it will probably end in tears, i`m on my way to Paris on Saturday morning to try out, and hopefully purchase a 91 BFP.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet is the cry. The Paris bit is a long story....i live in Belfast!, but needless to say my girlfriend and I are making it a bit of a shopping trip.

This is where you lot come in. You guys and gals are the people to ask when it comes to Jem gtrs so ....... if you had the money to spend on a gtr would you buy yourself an older used one or a new off the shelf VWH or SVBL.

The BFP has been my favourite Jem for such a long time, it is such a beautiful instrument....but is my sense of practicality washed away by my love for this unique gtr. If im looking to play a gtr would I not be better off with a newer one?, one that i could break in myself???

The BFP in question has a finish crack at neck pocket, no fret-ware, clean enough scratch plate, neck and fret-board, bit of pitting on tuning pegs and tremelo.....definately a player...i'll know much more when i have the baby in my hands on Sat!

So to cut out all the bull.....whats it to be the BFP or a new of the shelf Jem? Any takers?

PS - Its so pant-wettingly exciting in my house at the minute...i feel like a 20 year old boy again! OOOOOOOOOH I CANT WAIT!!!

thanks for any responses

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 04:57 PM

Congrats to your BFP Steve!
Have fun!
Let it rock!!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 04:55 AM

do it up man........the older ones are great and have a character that you'd have to beat into a new off the shelf JEM.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 06:56 AM

Can you forgive yourself if you let your favorite Jem go by?
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 07:05 AM

Welcome to the "bfp" club
JS
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 12:41 AM

I have a 96 BFP in very good condition (see pics at www.ibanezregister.com). It's a very nice guitar but I still like my BSB more.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:27 AM

How much spare time & experience do you have?

When I bought that old VBK, I totally planned to do it up, and get it all restored and shiny. Then I snapped back to reality and realised that I'd never have the time and that I don't have anywhere near the amount of experience needed to get it done. I've now got the RG620QM (pics in the 'other ibanez' forum).

I guess really though you'd need to see it in person and play it to see how it feels and stuff.

Congrats and good luck anyway Have fun in Paris!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 05:39 AM

Hello Pekkam;
How could you have a 96 bfp???... End of production for that model was in 1994 I thought!!! Am I wrong
JS
cf : http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/production.htm
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 05:51 AM
dex

Well I adopted that VBK and after some neck shims, nut shims, reseating the neck, puting some tension in it, fret leveling and crowning all of which together with a fresh set of strings and dialing a medium action took me about 5 hours, it's a very, very sweet broken in guitar that practically plays itself.

I couldn't be happier with it and that from a man who swears by ESP (NOT LTD ).
What I found out is that I quite like RG/Jems as long as they've been thouroughly broken in by someone else.

Glad to hear that the 620 is to your liking duder.
I think that you had the misfortune of buying that VBK when it was neglected and hadn't seen a setup in a long time.
I still don't get how people spend $$$ on a great guitar and then never tweak/change strings for years by which time the condition/action/setup has deteriorated so bad, it makes you want to cry.

About the BFP, I'm sure you'll know what to do when you get hold of it.

ilia
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdetrait
Hello Pekkam;
How could you have a 96 bfp???... End of production for that model was in 1994 I thought!!! Am I wrong
JS
I've asked the same question. The answer was that those times are probably the known production times based on availability in US. BFP was in Europe catalog still after that if I recon correctly. Mine is the last one sold in Finland and I'm the second owner. The guy who sold it to me works for the local Ibanez-importer (www.levytukku.fi) and he verified the year which is also in serial.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 12:15 PM

Well done... I'll try to see it on ibanezregister (your link doesn't work for me)...
Thanks Pekkam!
JS
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:06 PM

Welcome to the BFP club

I love the looks of those guitars, a pure work of art.

My BFP is a rough player, but I didn't mind when I bought it. I just had to had one The sound of mine is extremely thin, but that probably has something to do with the mileage... It has a nice spot on the wall!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Well done... I'll try to see it on ibanezregister (your link doesn't work for me)...
Thanks Pekkam!
JS
Here's a working one:

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...l-jem77bfp.htm
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 07:28 AM

Welcome to the BFP club!!

I bought mine from new in 1992
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaM
Quote:
Hello Pekkam;
JS
I've asked the same question. The answer was that those times are probably the known production times based on availability in US. BFP was in Europe catalog still after that if I recon correctly. Mine is the last one sold in Finland and I'm the second owner. The guy who sold it to me works for the local Ibanez-importer (www.levytukku.fi) and he verified the year which is also in serial.
BFPs were in the european 95 catalog (I have a scan from Jono) but not in the 1996.

I doubt very much that it was made in 1996.

Tags
direct mount pickups , fret level , fret leveling , jem bfp , mount pickups , neck plate , neck plates , neck shim , nut shim , scratch plate , tuning pegs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode