Finally, my first "real" Jem! :) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Finally, my first "real" Jem! :)

Hi all, well, it took more than 10 years, but I finally have my first "real" Jem, a nice shiny new 7VWH (albeit a 2010 model that must have sat around in the store for a while!)

I have owned a 555 since about '98/99, and while it was a great guitar (after a few upgrades), I am simply in love with the 7v. I know it's a cliche and everyone says it, but the guitar almost plays itself..so easy to play legato lines, harmonics, flutters, whammy gymnastics...you name it, this thing will do it...but I guess all you 7v owners know this already right?

I spent quite a bit of time in the store trying the 7vwh against the 70vsfg, and also my 555 - which to it's credit is a pretty decent guitar ONCE I got rid of the terrible lo-TRS trem and put a gotoh Floyd Rose in its place (GE-1996T? from memory). I would recommend this upgrade to anyone who has a 555..(and yes, I know what a bad rap the 555 gets here - but the trem upgrade puts the guitar in a totally different league of playability).

Anyway - I had a play on my guitar, then went to the 70v...nice guitar, but I had the feeling it was one of the "not so good" examples of the 70v I've read about here on Jemsite. In fact I preferred my 555 over it in most aspects. It just felt stiff and also sounded very thin compared to the 555, which is strange as all 3 guitars are supposedly using the same pickups...oh well, 70v goes back on the wall..

As soon as I plugged in the 7v I was sold...I think the thing that really gets me is the neck on it..I love the profile of it, sound wise my 555 was a lot closer to it than the 70v, but the overall feel of the guitar...mmm...never played anything quite as nice (well, my JS90th is pretty impressive too, but quite a different feel)

So yeah, I now have a real Jem...just wanted to casually gloat about it, but moreso wanted to thank everyone on Jemsite for all their contributions, advice, comparisons, rants, arguments and everything else...I have been visiting and reading for years and learned a LOT from this site..so thanks all

now, back to playing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 14
Re: Finally, my first "real" Jem! :)

congratulations ! :-)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 AM

Congrats mate! Cant go wrong with the 7VWH! Its just a great guitar. Enjoy!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Reviews: 2

Congratulations,,, the 7Vwh was my first Jem and first Ibanez for that matter. I now have multiple Ibanez guitars, but the 7V is still my fave. And it sure attracts a lot of attention wherever you will take it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM

Reviews: 4

Congrats and enjoy!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpinball View Post
Hi all, well, it took more than 10 years, but I finally have my first "real" Jem, a nice shiny new 7VWH (albeit a 2010 model that must have sat around in the store for a while!)

I have owned a 555 since about '98/99, and while it was a great guitar (after a few upgrades), I am simply in love with the 7v. I know it's a cliche and everyone says it, but the guitar almost plays itself..so easy to play legato lines, harmonics, flutters, whammy gymnastics...you name it, this thing will do it...but I guess all you 7v owners know this already right?

I spent quite a bit of time in the store trying the 7vwh against the 70vsfg, and also my 555 - which to it's credit is a pretty decent guitar ONCE I got rid of the terrible lo-TRS trem and put a gotoh Floyd Rose in its place (GE-1996T? from memory). I would recommend this upgrade to anyone who has a 555..(and yes, I know what a bad rap the 555 gets here - but the trem upgrade puts the guitar in a totally different league of playability).

Anyway - I had a play on my guitar, then went to the 70v...nice guitar, but I had the feeling it was one of the "not so good" examples of the 70v I've read about here on Jemsite. In fact I preferred my 555 over it in most aspects. It just felt stiff and also sounded very thin compared to the 555, which is strange as all 3 guitars are supposedly using the same pickups...oh well, 70v goes back on the wall..

As soon as I plugged in the 7v I was sold...I think the thing that really gets me is the neck on it..I love the profile of it, sound wise my 555 was a lot closer to it than the 70v, but the overall feel of the guitar...mmm...never played anything quite as nice (well, my JS90th is pretty impressive too, but quite a different feel)

So yeah, I now have a real Jem...just wanted to casually gloat about it, but moreso wanted to thank everyone on Jemsite for all their contributions, advice, comparisons, rants, arguments and everything else...I have been visiting and reading for years and learned a LOT from this site..so thanks all

now, back to playing..
Good thing you didnt pick up a 77FP. That thing blows the 7VWH out of the water imo. Got to play one yesterday, that thing is a beast. the cost is REALLY prohibitive though :/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM

That's all about preference my friend. The frets on the fp is a lot bigger which I like but I prefer the AANJ before the old heel any day of the week. Also the EVO:s sound a lot nicer in my ears. That's why you need many jems.
Anyway. Congrats on a great guitar.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 AM

What's it look like?
Just kidding!

Congrads Man!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM

I remember my first time having a jem. Still my jem is the best playable guitar I've ever played out there. Congratz on your new jem.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM

Well come on man you can't leave us hanging and not post a picture of your new baby!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 AM

Congrats!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:16 AM

But post some pics!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Looking forward to my first purchase. This gives me hope!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM

congrats enjoy it..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 PM

So envious right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode