First Ding - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

First Ding

Hey all,

Havent' been to the Jemsite since 2001 (Went to Jemfest that year)
I used to post under the name Dreamer.

Anyhow when I was at the 01' Fest I had just purchased a brand newVWH,and up till a few days it still looked brand new...yep my first ding.

Ive had more than handful of Jem/UVs and it seems like that first ding is the toughest. Anyone else agree?

Thanks for letting me vent
(and its good to be back)

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 10:26 AM

Hmmm...I've got a finish crack at the heel block when my axe was a few weeks old, due to the weather in Asia. Can't remember how I felt then,
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 11:45 AM

I say "it happens", some people have different views but....I am one of those people that thinks dings, scratches and cracks tells stories and add character to your guitar! It makes it yours, and each one has a story. A guitar is there to be played anyway. Obviously you want it to stay in as best condition as possible, but if you dont it dont matter!

If you are selling it yeah, be worried. But if not dont bother. There some exceptions like DNA's and Crystal Planets.....for the $$ they cost I would be scared to play em!

Dont worry bout it, just look at Evo...then look at yours!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 11:56 AM

I'm pretty much in agreement with godfather, and I really don't intend on selling any of my guitars unless I truly need the cash (in which case I'd sell just about anything else first). I really don't play the first guitar I bought much anymore, but i still won't get rid of it.

The only time dings make me upset is if they affect the playability...evo has a giant crack through the body. that would be something that would be pretty upsetting...
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:04 AM

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I am all about a worn looking vs. damaged guitar. I really dig the look of a well-used, but not abused axe. A friend of mine has a studio LP with the finish worn off the body's edge from his forearm rubbing against the guitar while he strums. His neck is painted, and he's worn the paint off the neck where he plays the most. Very cool.

I try to be careful with mine. I gave my VSBL a very minor ding on the bottom of the headstock the other day. I can live with that, but I'll try to be more careful. Other than that and some buckle-rash, there's no damage.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 06:30 AM

When i plan on getting my first Jem, im gonna be on the look out for a very used 'players' 7VWH, mainly for two reasons, cheaper, and scratches and dings make a guitar look better imo. Take a look at a brand new sparkling JEM with shiny gold hardware, then EVO with black hardware and scratches everywhere, it tones the whole thing down and adds character to it.

Ive always been the type to 'want' dings and scratches, admitedly on certain guitars it wouldnt look right, but a lot of guitars, espically classics like Strats etc only really lookmgood when they look fu*cked up

I say dont worry dude....
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 06:40 AM

Just get a DBK, black marker pen touches it up a treat.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 09:06 AM

Does anyone have the problem of scratching your guitar when you're wearing a belt?
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 10:19 AM

Yeah. I'm going to try clear contact paper with a heavy paper underneath on my new guitar to see if it helps.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis_ho
Does anyone have the problem of scratching your guitar when you're wearing a belt?
I use clear grip tape on the back of my guitar, just because I had it for one of my bikes and it was lyin around, and you can't tell it is there.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I play naked
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Nope, I wear my belt buckle over my left side front pocket, just because I scratched a guitar in the 70's with a buckle. Never again. If ever anyone asks me why my buckle is off center, I answer "So I don't accidentally scratch my guitars", and it usually satisfies the person asking.

As for the original question, yeah, that first ding hurts! Especially if you've been careful of the guitar and you've had it a while. I sold a PRS last year that I'd had for 9 years, and it didn't have a scratch on it. The chrome on the trem was worn to the bell brass, but that happens, and frankly looked cool. On a guitar with chips already, who cares? But on one you bought new, the first hurts more than all the rest, I think.

jim
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:06 PM

is the paint on the RG's made to be really chippable?
i keep finding random dings etc in my 1550, and coz its black they show up easy... and i'm going over in my head whether i'm annoyed because it looked so great, or that the chips are cool, because i'm gigging
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Fry

I don't think that they would make the paint to be less durable, I think that the clear coat on it might be low quality, or you just beat the hell out of your guitars.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 07:23 PM

I was extremely worried about my 7VWH for the first year or so, but then I knew I would never sell it ('cause it's my favorite) and I haven't been nearly as uptight about it. Of course, when I did "implement" the first ding, I stood in horror at my stupidity... carefully checked it out and realized that I only dented the clear ever so slightly.

Your best bet is to just hit it with a hammer right after you buy it: problem sovled!

Tags
clear coat , crystal planet , les paul , les paul classic , neck split , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode