First Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Question First Jem

(I copied this from the starting forum for new members as it won't be read there.)

I have seriously been considering getting a 555, now I'm in Australia where it has an edge 3 trem now, which I have on my rg and I consider a fine trem, and as the main complaints I see about the 555 is the Lo-TRS(a horrible trem which, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't made by Ibanez?) is a 555 worth getting with an edge? I would take the advice of getting an older jem but the only jems I seem to come across arre claimed to be "rare" and cost almost twice as much as the 555. Any help would be very appriciated thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 AM

Re: First Jem

prydogga,

The 555 with Edge 3 trem is still far beyond comparison with any Ibanez equipped with an Edge or a Lo Pro Edge. They may be abit better than Lo TRS, but Edge 3 still have issues. You can search the forums for pros and cons of Edge 3 (mostly cons).

But, if you still want the 555 so bad, and you're willing to scrape some extra cash for another finer trem, an Edge Pro tremolo can fit nicely into the Edge 3 trem cavity (if I'm not mistaken, that is).

Read some info here about fitting different trem models into different routings:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ed...3+edge+pro+fit

So, if you think that getting a 555 with a new Edge Pro would cut it for you, that's great I guess. But do put into consideration that if the cost of getting the 555 AND the Edge Pro would count close to getting a decent or new Jem, you need to make a wise decision, my friend

Last edited by aj_foes; 01-05-2009 at 04:54 AM. Reason: misintepreted 1st post
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 AM

Hi Prydogga,

I would recommend looking at getting a made in Japan RG over the Jem 555 anyday.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I already have an rg which is fine, and I'm not desperate for a 555 I'm just seeing about a jem because of quality, I've beeen looking at some of Rich Harris's second hand 777sk's but I hear negative things on the paint fading and I am still unsure, and with a 555 an edge pro would be good because I can get the jem discounted enough to have an edge pro fitted for the same price as the RRP.

Thanks for the info on the trem fittings I'll read it after I post.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Well seeing as an edge pro would fit I decided to fool around and put what it would look like with an edge pro, hopefully the picture will work..

Last edited by prydogga; 02-24-2009 at 04:48 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 AM

looks more like evo then a normal 7vwh... Looks good ive always liked the 555 board more then the 7's other then the "Jr" bit.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Banned

i played a 555 for 12 years (lo-trs).i bought it round about 1994.back then i didnt know about 777 series,7vwh or any other jem series.i just thought steve vai guitars were the ones with monkey-grip and that they were all the same just different colours ect.after reading loads of bad reports about the 555 and found out it wasnt a real jem i thought balls to this ill get shot of it.so i went out and bought a 777vbk then shortly after a 7vwh.straight away i knew these 2 real jems were light years ahead of the 555.do yourself a favour kid DONT BUY A 555,just save up the extra money and buy a real jem,just keep your eyes open here theres always jems for sale.also have a look at rich harris site (ibanez rules). rich sells second hand jems and are very fairly priced.do it right the first time.good luck
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 AM

yep save up for the pricier ones PLEASE :-)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
...I'm just seeing about a jem because of quality...
There's your answer right there.

555 does not equal quality in comparison to a Made In Japan RG.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Well I am already saving so a little longer might not change that much, Although a 7vwh will take me almost a year it sounds pretty much worth it, I'll probably go back and forth on the choice while I'm saving but I'll end up with the real thing. Thanks for the help though I'm sure you guys get these stupid ideas all the time.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
...I'm sure you guys get these stupid ideas all the time..
Guilty as charged here.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Guilty as in you ask them or you get them?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Hey buddy, if you live in Australia I know a couple of people who are trying to get ride of there prestige ibbys and they are located in New Castle they are now going to ESP let me know if your interested. I also know a guy who is selling his 2004 7vwh for $2500 you could prob get him down to $2000-2200 his in Melbourne but it would be worth the drive! Stay away from the 555's watch **** often they come up for 2k BIN mos
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I've switched to getting an rg prestige for price reasons.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Guilty as in you ask them or you get them?
Guilty as in getting weird ideas about upgrading a lower-grade Jem and making it up the level of the real one..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode