First JEM! JEM Jr.? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

First JEM! JEM Jr.?

Hey everyone!

Brand new here! Never made an account but over the years I've viewed the forums... great community!

Been playing for 20 years on strats, but now I really want to get my hands on a JEM. Always loved the look and feel (played on a floral before) but have always been "Brand loyal" to fender.

I want to pick up a JEM but wanted to know everyone's opinions on the JR. Playability? Tone? Neck difference is the big one since tone can be changed by adjusting hardware to a degree... I've been looking around trying to find opinions but there isn't much out there. Worth getting one and updating hardware? Or just go after a 7v?

Obviously, I'd rather drop 500$ vs $3000, but only if it's worth it. It would be interesting to customize one from the ground up, but I'd like to get some opinions! Used is an option for me, but I'm worried about the counterfeits and not being able to play in person. So I feel like buying new may unfortunately be the best route for me.

Cheers~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Re: First JEM! JEM Jr.?

My advise is buy used. There's lots, i mean lots of 7v for about 1500$ in great shape. Take your time to know them better, watch pics, look at details and read about fakes in this site, for example. You'll be an expert in hours Any doubt... post pics first and get help. Probably you will find one near you...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:53 AM

if you want to go cheaper and get a nice looking, reasonable good guitar (the neck is rather good), JemJr + bridge change is ~700€. I'd say pickups are very much usable, but installing LoPro Edge was a very good upgrade, even though using original Floyd Rose might have been a tad simpler to install.

But if you have money, 7v or other real JEMs definitely.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:25 AM

Depends on what you want to spend on a guitar like this. Here in Europe I could buy 5 Jem Jr's for the price of 1 Jem 7v. Or 3 Jem Jr's for the price of 1 Jem 70v or a used Jem 7v.

You can get a Jem Jr, Gotoh Floyd Rose, pearloid pick guard & a DiMarzio Gravity Storm bridge for about half the price of an Indonesian Jem 70v
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug View Post
if you want to go cheaper and get a nice looking, reasonable good guitar (the neck is rather good), JemJr + bridge change is ~700. I'd say pickups are very much usable, but installing LoPro Edge was a very good upgrade, even though using original Floyd Rose might have been a tad simpler to install.

But if you have money, 7v or other real JEMs definitely.
Thanks. I've been meaning to ask about this. After playing a few, I decided that the Jem Jr
Was worth the price, providing a bridge/pickup upgrade. I bought an Original Edge for just this reason. Will it fit? I didn't get the original bridge posts, either. Do I need them?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:41 AM

I think the Jem Jr was definitely worth the price, I upgraded pretty much everything on it and the bridge/pickups made a huge difference.

Also I dont think an original edge will fit. I upgraded my bridge to a Gotoh 1996t and it dropped right in (except the studs, I just left the originals in there for now).

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/je...de-150193.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Edge/LoPro isn't drop-in, but by replacing studs and shaving off a bit pickguard it works well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:17 PM

Reviews: 5

Thanks!

Tags
ibanez jem jr 7v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode