Fitting a sustainer in the ol' Jem (In the UK) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Fitting a sustainer in the ol' Jem (In the UK)

Hi guys...just want to say first that I'm really sorry if this has been asked before - I did do a search but couldn't find an answer, and also sorry if it's the wrong forum, but it's to do with a Jem so I'll carry on...

I've been looking into buying a sustainer for my jem (like Steve's got on his), and the best looking one I have found is the Fernandes sustainer. I've heard lots of things about them and heard other alternatives, like www.sustaniac.com etc, but I think the fernandes one is the best for me. Now I'm not very good with the insides of the guitar(if that makes sense) - I wouldn't have a clue how to put it in and was wondering if any fellow Jemsters from the UK have had one fitted, and do you recommend somewhere to have it done? (Im in Birmingham, but I'd travel/ship it off somewhere). Is fitting the sustainer something pretty much any guitar tech can do? And can anyone suggest a reason for not having one?(I don't want to ruin my Jem, after all)
Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 05:34 PM

I'm sure there are place's up your way capable of doing it,But if your stuck give Machinehead.co.uk a go ... Barrie is a great tech and i have utter faith in him :-)

Of course,If you want it cheap i'll do it ;-)

Rob
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 06:50 PM

I think Darren Hunt from the band Wipeout has had something done like this on his Jem7VWH.

(Wipeout played at Jemfest UK a couple of weeks ago)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:38 PM

If you're looking to have minimal alteration done to your JEM, i would suggest looking at the Sustainiac units again. Their circuit boards are much smaller and you'd need to do a LOT less routing, and Alan Hoover will provide you with a custom wiring diagram to hook it up exactly how you want it, instead of having to reverse-engineer the Fernandes unit to accommodate your own pickups and switching.

But if you're having a pro do the work, it's of less consequence. I just think you might have better results with the Sustainiac.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 06:03 AM

My RG570 has a Sustainiac fitted by Barrie at Machinehead - excellent work. I've used the Fernandes Sustainer too, and the Sustainiac is better in my opinion. More powerful, more flexible controls and (so I'm told) better battery life too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Hmm..the sustainiac one does look better...hmm Which one does Steve use? Or does he use a completely different one? lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 AM

He uses the Fernandes.

However, i would guess that at least 50% of Fernandes Sustainer users don't even know Sustainiac exists. Fernandes definitely markets theirs better because they include it on their own line of guitars. I think Sustainiac's Stealth line is a better product, though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Hmm..I think I'll go with the Sustainiac products. Only problem is, its expensive! lol...375 which includes fitting-think thats about $600

Oh well, I guess I'll have to work overtime lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 07:36 AM
dex

Man, you better get the Kramer Beretta from MusicYo for around $400.
That with delivery ($99) + Import Duty and VAT will be around 370 at today's exchange rate.
Then butcher the Kramer and put the sustainer in the Jem - hook up a generic pickup in the Kramer and ebay it for 200 and you are good to go.

Otherwise give Paul at arrowheadguitars a shout - his pricess are quite good and he might fit it for you.

ilia
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_at2001
Hmm..I think I'll go with the Sustainiac products. Only problem is, its expensive! lol...375 which includes fitting-think thats about $600
$600 for the unit and installation?!?

That sounds a little high.

Tags
fernandes sustainer , guitar tech , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode