Fixed bridge JS help needed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Fixed bridge JS help needed

Hey guys. I have been searching for a guitar with fixed bridge... I hate Fenders and Gibsons, I know 89% of the world will think I'm either noob or just stupid, but that is just the way it is for me. I was thinking a LOT about getting PRS custom 22 with stoptail. But then I saw JS 1600 and afterwards discovered few other JSes with fixed bridges. And now Im in a place I don't know what I want.

I mean, cool. One neck to get used to, and a very comfortable one, one must say. Second JS next to my JS1000 is also nice to have, especially if I change PUp in 1000 so it is 1200.

But two things I wonder are:

Is there a way of getting old fixed bridge JS in proper shape?
and, secondly,

Will the PRS not be considerably better? normally I wouldn't ask but claim that. Since I got my JS1000 it has proven me wrong. It has more meat in it's sound than a full grown cow. If the 1600, made of mahogany and with a stoptail, will be typical construction, it should be even more heavy.

in other words, HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Fixed bridge JS help needed

Sometimes the old JS-6 and 6000 do pop up from time to time in very good condition either at IbanezRules or on the bay.

The JS and the PRS will be very different guitars though, PRS standards to my ears tend to sound somewhat repressed, restrained or subdued to my ears, the JS-6 I use has a more open chimy sound. Joe said he wanted the original JS-6 to sound like a cross between an LP and a Telecaster. I think he succeeded.

I don't know whether the Js-1600 will sound the same as it doesn't have the oiled natural finish, but I'd take my JS-6 over a PRS standard anyday
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Contributor

The JS2000 is the best fixed bridge JS. I say far superior to the 6-6000-1600
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:44 AM

And what about an RGA?

Second hand ones are easy to find. That would leave plenty of money to chose pick-ups fitting your requirements!

Just an idea...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

nope, I'm a JS-freak now, so RGA is not a choice for me.

Is JS2000 not a limited version?

The color on both 1600 and 2000 looks like comind out from a wrong end of a cow, but I hope GuitarGuru will help out here, so she matches my beautiful Flamed JS, also by his hand

[ http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...highlight=mroq ]

Only thing I hate about JSs is the color chart. Black brocade. Red brocade. Silver brocade. Champagne brocade. How many other brocades will they come up with? I mean, rainbow has its limits

I have PRS custom 22 tremolo here, and I like her sound I just want to have two JSes rather than PRS and JS...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM

You could always pick up a JS-1000 or 1200 and block the tremolo to make it a fixed bridge.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
The JS2000 is the best fixed bridge JS. I say far superior to the 6-6000-1600
Definately the best feel but, imho, not the best sound.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
You could always pick up a JS-1000 or 1200 and block the tremolo to make it a fixed bridge.
oh come on... its like stuffing a gatling with old newspapers and using it as a club...

It will probably be JS1600 with custom paintjob, after the beauty Guitarguru made Im thrilled to reach the limits of his power[or patience, whichever 1st :P ]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Definately the best feel but, imho, not the best sound.
i wouldn't even give it the best feel imo. and when you factor in the hassle of the locking nut and bridge for a non-trem guitar, i wouldn't trade my js6s for a js2000 any day of the week. not to say they aren't great guitars, but the reasons people prefer them over the js6s are the exact reasons why i'd never buy one.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroq View Post
Hey guys. I have been searching for a guitar with fixed bridge... I hate Fenders and Gibsons, I know 89% of the world will think I'm either noob or just stupid, but that is just the way it is for me. I was thinking a LOT about getting PRS custom 22 with stoptail. But then I saw JS 1600 and afterwards discovered few other JSes with fixed bridges. And now Im in a place I don't know what I want.

I mean, cool. One neck to get used to, and a very comfortable one, one must say. Second JS next to my JS1000 is also nice to have, especially if I change PUp in 1000 so it is 1200.

But two things I wonder are:

Is there a way of getting old fixed bridge JS in proper shape?
and, secondly,

Will the PRS not be considerably better? normally I wouldn't ask but claim that. Since I got my JS1000 it has proven me wrong. It has more meat in it's sound than a full grown cow. If the 1600, made of mahogany and with a stoptail, will be typical construction, it should be even more heavy.

in other words, HELP!
better is a subjective term, although with guitars of this calibur it would be hard to go wrong. as jono said, they do pop up on e-bay from time to time (i would say about twice a year) and then they sell for about $1000 - $1300. i will say that all of the ones i've seen on e-bay have been in pristine condition, so i guess that shows that we js6/6000 owners know how to baby a guitar

and honestly, the js6s that i have are really light and comparable to a js1000. one thing to keep in mind is that the gotoh fixed bridge is considerably lighter than the edge trem, which may make the weight of the two seem more equivalent.

i would (and will eventually) go for the js1600. i don't think the paint will make a significant difference in tone and these will be much easier to get ahold of than a js6.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroq View Post
oh come on... its like stuffing a gatling with old newspapers and using it as a club...

It will probably be JS1600 with custom paintjob, after the beauty Guitarguru made Im thrilled to reach the limits of his power[or patience, whichever 1st :P ]
The 2000 with a Custom paint job would be a better choice in. "in my opinion". The locking nut and fine tuners are saweet.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 PM

I was wondering when Darin would find this thread...

I was initially pretty indifferent to the color of the JS1600, but I think it is starting to grow on me. It would be a good candidate for custom paint though.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Yup.. I will buy her and send to GuitarGuru as soon as I will sell my doubleneck and get the money... anyone interested in buying a good guitar with two necks is invited to PM, or mail [email protected], otherwise it would be rude advertisement.

Tags
edge trem , fixed bridge , locking nut , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode