Flight Case for My Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
MCR

Flight Case for My Jem?

Guys -

I've read the various ins and outs of flying with a guitar on the site and I've decided that I'm going to buy a flight case for my jem then attempt to put it in a gig bag and carry it on. I'm planning on taking it on my thanksgiving trip north so I can jam with my brother - something we haven't been able to do in 5 years. Its a straight flight - so I'm not worried about it being lost but I'm of course paranoid about damage.

From my reading it seems to be a matter of luck if you can stow it as a carry on - and from what US AIR has on their site I'm way over the 45 inch total size allowed. I figure it will be crazy busy too - and the coat area will be stuffed with all sorts of people's things.

So I figure a flight case is safest. But which one to get? I've looked around the net but would like info from any other jem owners about what brands are good.

Also - I know if I carry it on there is no need to loosen the strings, but if you check it as baggage should it be loosened up?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Re: Flight Case for My Jem?

dude

1. i very much doubt you can take a guitar as carry on luggage

and

2. why would you put a guitar case in a gig bag?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM

If it won't fit in the overhead, you can forget about carry-on.

I see you're in Spartanburg, if you're flying out of ATL I'd definitely be worried about the baggage transfer.
If you're planning on flying over the holidays, the BUSIEST time of the year to fly, I wouldn't trust a Jem to the baggage employees. I hear stories all the time about 4-6-8 hour baggage delays, lost bags, damaged and destroyed bags......dude, send the guitar ahead of you by Fed-X insured and save yourself a TON of potential problems. Think about it.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
MCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog777 View Post
If it won't fit in the overhead, you can forget about carry-on.

I see you're in Spartanburg, if you're flying out of ATL I'd definitely be worried about the baggage transfer.
If you're planning on flying over the holidays, the BUSIEST time of the year to fly, I wouldn't trust a Jem to the baggage employees. I hear stories all the time about 4-6-8 hour baggage delays, lost bags, damaged and destroyed bags......dude, send the guitar ahead of you by Fed-X insured and save yourself a TON of potential problems. Think about it.
I thought about sending it up, but around this time of year shippers are busy too. Plus - its a direct flight from Charlotte - which although bad isn't as bad as Atlanta. I'm figuring their is no way they can loose a bag on direct flight....

Also - I'm thinking of buying a flight case and checking it as regular baggage. I may try to carry it on - but won't be planning on it. From what I've read flight cases are super tough and have different latches then a regular case.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
MCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBANEZDIEHARD View Post
dude

1. i very much doubt you can take a guitar as carry on luggage

and

2. why would you put a guitar case in a gig bag?

Sorry - didn't mean to say I was taking a cased guitar in a bag - rather I thought of using just a gig bag and carrying it on - but as you've said and I believe - its not going to happen.

I'm looking for advice on good flight cases. Does anyone have one or know of a good one?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:28 PM

Check with the airline..... you may be able to buy a seat for the guitar depending on size of the plane. Otherwise, buy a good ATA approved, lockable, flight case. Get some fragile stickers but do not mark it as an insturment. Check it as baggage, but check on additional insurance also. I would recommend an Anvil case, maybe 3/8 ply.... otherwise 1/4" will do and is cheaper. Oh yeah..... get out you wallet, good flight cases are not cheap.
http://www.anvilcase.com/applications/music.html
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
......... I'm figuring their is no way they can loose a bag on direct flight....
I wouldn't bet on that one, bro.....I know a dude that lost a Gibson Dove acoustic on a direct flight from Atlanta to Nashville.....believe me it can happen. Suitbags, regular suitcases are one thing, but a guitar case that's just screaming "Pawn shop money", is something else entirely. Not all baggage handlers are trustworthy & honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Also - I'm thinking of buying a flight case and checking it as regular baggage. I may try to carry it on - but won't be planning on it. From what I've read flight cases are super tough and have different latches then a regular case.
http://www.rockhardcases.com/guitar.htm
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Vendor

Flight cases are made to withstand the daily beating of road crews for decades of service. You're taking 2 plane trips, you're not dragging it behind a truck for 1000 miles. A regular Ibanez UV1000 case is plenty sufficient. Of course insure, especially against loss.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:05 AM

the other route, which may be safer still assuming you are comfortable with tinkering with your guitar is to simply unscrew the neck from the body and carry the two much smaller bits on in your hand luggage!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 AM

^^^^ Security may mistake it for a weapon.....
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A regular Ibanez UV1000 case is plenty sufficient. Of course insure, especially against loss.
I second that. I used UV1000s to fly back and forth between France and California as checked baggage, and everything worked out as a charm. In my case, as it was "oversized" bagage, it was also handled manually by guys and didn't go through the normal check-in. The cases haven't even been scratched or dinged in the process ... be sure though to really secure your guitar in the case, as UV1000 seem to be a little large for JEms, so that the guitar doesn't bang around inside the case. i used plenty of underwear, socks and T-Shirst to block it
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlamy View Post
I second that. I used UV1000s to fly back and forth between France and California as checked baggage, and everything worked out as a charm. In my case, as it was "oversized" bagage, it was also handled manually by guys and didn't go through the normal check-in. The cases haven't even been scratched or dinged in the process ... be sure though to really secure your guitar in the case, as UV1000 seem to be a little large for JEms, so that the guitar doesn't bang around inside the case. i used plenty of underwear, socks and T-Shirst to block it
Ahhhh..... the old underwear, socks, and tee shirt padding trick. Be sure to pack extra in a carry-on though, just in case your guitar gets "delayed" or you'll be short some other things as well.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:46 AM

I've never had a problem carrying on my guitars. Even on international flights. Just nicely ask the lady at the ticket counter. Tell them it's a very expensive guitar and you donlt want it down in the cargo hold. If for some reason they will not let you, then ask if it can be stowed with the flight attendants gear. From my experiences, they won't have a problem with it. Of course it may vary by airline.

Give it a shot
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
I've never had a problem carrying on my guitars. Even on international flights. Just nicely ask the lady at the ticket counter. Tell them it's a very expensive guitar and you donlt want it down in the cargo hold. If for some reason they will not let you, then ask if it can be stowed with the flight attendants gear. From my experiences, they won't have a problem with it. Of course it may vary by airline.

Give it a shot

That does work..... but it's very dependant on the plane size too. Don't try it on a puddle jumper. And, have you ever seen how they load those???? Scary..... Of course you're other choice is to just drive!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Don't try it on a puddle jumper. And, have you ever seen how they load those???? Scary..... Of course you're other choice is to just drive!

I tend to stray clear of *puddle jumpers*

and yes....driving is always an option

Tags
electric guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode