Flooded Jem (early model) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Flooded Jem (early model)

I've never been on here before, but I have a good reason to reach out to Jem owners right now for some advice. My parents house is in the Houston area that got flooded from Harvey and one of my dad's precious guitars fell victim to the high waters. It had been stored in its case on a shelf about 7' up where we thought that there was no way water could get to, but it did. I'm currently drying it out in my home, but it looks pretty bad. Starting at the top, the face of the headstock is starting to come off and the areas around the tuners look bad. The scarf joint of the neck has a tiny bit sticking out as the maple is starting to swell. The fretboard hasn't though, so it looks like the neck is wider than the fretboard right now. The neck itself still appears to be straight and I was able to clean the frets off themselves. The fretboard looks to be taking on some early signs of mold (white spots). The biggest problem I can see right now is that the body is splitting from around the top side of the neck pocket going down the back. I'm reaching out to local luthiers to see if its salvageable, but haven't haven't much of a response because, well, half of Houston was underwater the other day. Anybody have any advice for repairing or how to treat it for now until I get a pro to look at it. I took the strings and trem off and just have the guitar airing out in my house right now (air conditioned). I can't post pics as this is my first time here, but if you delete the spaces in the text below, it will take you to my FB post.

https ://ww w.facebook.co m/brett.richardson.180/posts/10213852774623397

- Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Vendor

Re: Flooded Jem (early model)

I'd give it the bleach mixed bath first, 1 cup to gallon or stronger, just to stop any growing bacteria. but I'm not sure if there's a way to safely dry it. unstring it to remove the tension I'd guess.

Google search reveals some decent info

are guitars ruined in the flood | TigerDroppings.com

few posts down.

But I'd go thru as much as possible, especially the luthiers that dealt with the Nashville floods.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Vendor

After reading some of that looks like the first step is to bath it in fresh water to flush the dirt and contaminants left by the flood water, then dry as slowly as possible.

Looked like a nice VDY, I feel for ya.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I'm going to talk to a couple of guys in Houston tomorrow and see what they say. So far two people have replied and said that they can make it good as new again.

Tags
flood , flooded , jem 777 , repair , water damage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode