Floral JEM with wound 3rd - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Floral JEM with wound 3rd

I want a JEM. Doesn't everybody. But I haven't had a real good go on one. I went into a shop today and had a crack on a JEM7VFP but it had a wound third and had been detuned and to be honest it didn't feel anywhere near as good as my RG470. To be honest, it's kind of put me off and I'm pretty shy about asking for demos on 1000+ guitars. Is it worth hunting out a decent, ordinary set-up, JEM and having a go, or should I just bite the bullet and if I see a good one on eBay, just buy it?

Sorry this is a bit of a rambling post. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that's all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:16 PM

There is a huge difference between 012 gauge set strings and 009/010. You should try one with thinner strings tuned to our average E. If you should just go for it? Well, that's up to you. But it's never wise to buy something you don't know what is.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess I was a little naive just expecting to pick up any JEM and love it straight away. I'll have to have a hunt for a decent one with a set of .009s on. I played some Prestige models but to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference between them and my RG which was also disappointing. But then, I think they have the same neck? The JEM neck certainly felt a little different; thicker, but not too thick.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:38 PM

Any 7-series JEM (not necessarily the 555s) is a much better guitar than a RG470. The newer JEMs with the Evo pickups especially will seem much hotter than the RG, althogh the older JEMs with PAF Pros may have you wanting hotter pups, depending on taste. I have played 4 JEMs------the newest VWH w/Evos (KILLLER), then the Blue Floral, Original Floral and Desert Yellow/pink with PAF Pros. Never a disappointment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 02:00 AM

I think if you can't tell the difference, then the best thing to do is keep saving your money until you can.
After playing with your guitar for a long time you will notice all the things that annoy you about it, you will also appreciate things about better guitars when you play them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 03:01 AM

I have only found 3 or 4 JEMs in local stores before I bought mine. Most of them were used, a couple were beat to crap, and none were very good. I took a gamble, and bought one from Rich. Then I bought a second. I love them both. Was it a good idea? Probably not, but I took a chance hedging my bet on all the good things people had to say about them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 09:45 AM

If you add your location to your profile that would be a good thing. Who knows, if you're near me, I'll even let you have a go on my Jem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Sorry. That was a little bit rude of me. All updated now. I'm new to all this forum maarkey
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:50 AM

No need to apologise! Just send money.

Anyway, if you're in Herts, then get yourself down to these guys:

www.machinehead.co.uk

and enjoy one of the best guitar shops in the UK, probably THE best, imho. Their workshop god Barrie Palmer set up my Jem 10 and I almost wept at how beautiful it played. If you play some of their Jems, you'll get a perfectly setup machine, and if you still don't like it, they'll adjust accordingly.

They have an ebony fretboard 7VWH for 1499 pounds (the newer Rosewood one is 1699...ah, I love living in the UK). I don't know if Rich can beat that price; again he'll give you a great setup and customer service. Go forth young man, and spray thine funky manseed (proverbially speaking).

Tags
ebony fretboard , evo pickups , guitar shop , jem neck , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode