Floral Jems - whats so good about them? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Floral Jems - whats so good about them?

Am I the only person who thinks Floral Jems look awful!? Dull, boring and look like a 60's throw back! What is so appealing - I'm just not getting it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Floral Jems - whats so good about them?

Yep to me they're ugly too.
Guitar with a piece of fabric with ugly flowers = argh
I like that blue one but because of its colors but still those flowers are ugly.
In 1994 I guess I saw at a store side by side one floral jem and one Petrucci P1.
Thank god there was a huge line to see one of Vai's guitars and only me "touching" that P1 lol
Still today I dream with that P1.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Reviews: 11

The black ones look awful, but the blue ones are cool.
post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Reviews: 21

I'm kind of meh on the FP1. I don't like the blue floral. I do like the new FP2.
Aside from the aesthetics, I think it's the only current rear-routed Jems. If memory serves, only the old multicolors and the DNA are rear-routes... and the 20th if you want to call that a rear-route.
FP2 needs red/cream pickups, though and red control knobs to be complete. Someone here modded theirs like that and it's stunning! I guess they went with black pickups and knobs to play it safe.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

What's so good about them?

Well the looks are only one part of the equation, and you either like those or you don't, but you've got to admit that a luminous green vine inlay was quite different, even for the late '80s. The fabric print was bright and bold and was exactly the sort of "oddball special" that was around at the time. Extra cool that it was the same as the curtains in Steve's own home studio (or whatever the story actually is about that).

Then you get down to the guitar underneath the flash. You've got a body made of American basswood, which many folks don't like nowadays, but in 1988 Vai thought it gave him the best tone through his then current rig. You've got a Canadian rock maple neck with a rosewood board. You've got a trio of DiMarzio pickups with a cool wiring system that lets you get chiming clean single coil tones and full throttle '80s humbucking tones. You've got an Edge family trem to cover any whammy style you might want.

There's actually not a lot to complain about on a Floral Pattern! it might not be to your tastes, but it was to Steve Vai's, who was playing show after show on the road with DLR at the time. I'd wager that he knows a bit more about what a rockstar needed in a guitar in the late 80s than most folks on here do
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

Well the looks are only one part of the equation, and you either like those or you don't, but you've got to admit that a luminous green vine inlay was quite different, even for the late '80s. The fabric print was bright and bold and was exactly the sort of "oddball special" that was around at the time. Extra cool that it was the same as the curtains in Steve's own home studio (or whatever the story actually is about that).

Then you get down to the guitar underneath the flash. You've got a body made of American basswood, which many folks don't like nowadays, but in 1988 Vai thought it gave him the best tone through his then current rig. You've got a Canadian rock maple neck with a rosewood board. You've got a trio of DiMarzio pickups with a cool wiring system that lets you get chiming clean single coil tones and full throttle '80s humbucking tones. You've got an Edge family trem to cover any whammy style you might want.

There's actually not a lot to complain about on a Floral Pattern! it might not be to your tastes, but it was to Steve Vai's, who was playing show after show on the road with DLR at the time. I'd wager that he knows a bit more about what a rockstar needed in a guitar in the late 80s than most folks on here do
Yeah...............blah blah blah......still they're ugly !

Just joking bro hahahahahahahhahha

I read that fabric came from one of his mom's dinner table.
Who knows the truth?
Come'n Steve help us!

Last edited by 6fingers; 01-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Reviews: 11

The funny thing with floral gems is that they grow on you (pardon the pun) I thought the original, when it came out in 88 was the ***est thing ever....but now? I'd kill for one. Why? I dunno. They kind of have this allure, then once they get their hooks into you, you can't help but lust after one. Trouble is the original fp's I've seen these days haven't lasted the test of time too well.

I think the original fp's are the best looking of the three now. And I like them all.
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

+1...

Mines a dream to play and looks awesome. Of course it's not to everyones taste but what is..? It's still quality components using an intelligent guitar design which can create a multitude of sounds so i'm always gonna argue it's good. Helps when you know who puts it together properly of course.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=robbiano;1062990 It's still quality components using an intelligent guitar design which can create a multitude of sounds so i'm always gonna argue it's good. [/QUOTE]

Nobody said it's NOT good.
The majority are talking about its............flowers...............I mean lookings
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Personally, I'm also not into the 'curtains'.. lol

Regards,
Nelson
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
The majority are talking about its............flowers...............I mean lookings
Flowers rock. The end. ;-)
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
I think folks are latching onto the actual title of the thread...
Quote:
Floral Jems - whats so good about them?
The looks are one thing, the guitar underneath something else
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 AM

I love the look of the original florals, far more than the Blue ones or even the GMCs. I'm not a fan of the new one's looks, but I haven't played one. Love the necks on the originals too, great feeling necks those were.
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I also think their cool in a weird way--sooooooo different. I like the blue one best, but the original is cool too. Even the new FP is growing on me.

post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Never liked the flowerpaterns and chances are big i never will.

I love how a jem plays but the FP makes it look like a toystore guitar to me!

(yeah,yeah, i know,shoot me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode