FP or BSB - Which to choose - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

FP or BSB - Which to choose

I'm lining up my latest aquisition, but am drawn between these two. *I wont get an opportunity to take a test drive prior to choosing, so I'm soliciting your opinions. *All help gladly appreciated! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:04 PM

FP or BSB

IMO, the FP has so much character. Just for the fact that it has the same patterned cloth as Vai's curtains, the tree of life inlay combined with the floral print is what I think makes it a special guitar.

Just my $.02
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:30 PM

FP or BSB

Many of us can vouchsafe the special-ness of the florals in all their idiosyncratic glory - but I still want a BSB too
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:17 PM

FP or BSB

I think you get more guitar with the FP. I want an old one, like '88 or '89 but I can never convince myself to sell anything I have for one. What a packrat I am! besides, those are usually dinged up and I can't do my magical finish repairs as well on the FP. It's not like you can just match the color!

(Edited by frankfalbo at 9:20 pm on May 15, 2001)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:23 AM

FP or BSB

BSB. Satin finished (as in no clear coat) guitars are awesome!
You actually feel like you're playing a wooden instrument...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:32 AM

FP or BSB

Skaught is right, with a BSB you certainly know that your guitar is made of wood.

But Purplehaze, there is something to consider first, I think : the BSB is very fragile. I mean, basswood is a very soft wood, easy to scratch, and easier again on the BSB as there is no clear coat.
So if you're kind of set on keeping your guitars in mint condition, you might think twice. For instance, the simple wear or my strap made scratches on the back of my BSB, after only 2 days of playing... (but nothing worse since... because then I became very careful). That said, I wouldn't give my BSB back for a FP. But if ever I have the opportunity and money to buy a FP, I will

Not really helping, eh ?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 04:02 AM

FP or BSB

I prefer the FP, looks awesome!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

FP or BSB

Thanks for the input everyone. *Seems the FP is out in front on looks, but what about playability/feel?

The BSB has the advantage of the AANJ. *But what about neck profile and frets (what's the difference between 6100 & 6105)?

And what about tone? *Would I be safe to assume that (all things equal) the FP would be in PAW terriotory? *IMO the neck pickup tone found in abundance on that album is to die for!

Mikey
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:43 AM

FP or BSB

Quote:
Quote: from Purplehaze on 4:56 am on May 16, 2001
Thanks for the input everyone. *Seems the FP is out in front on looks, but what about playability/feel?

The BSB has the advantage of the AANJ. *But what about neck profile and frets (what's the difference between 6100 & 6105)?

And what about tone? *Would I be safe to assume that (all things equal) the FP would be in PAW terriotory? *IMO the neck pickup tone found in abundance on that album is to die for!

Mikey
You'll be closer to the PAW tone with the FP than you would with the BSB. However, if the BSB is in great condition, buy it. Keep it clean and pretty and wait for an FP to come along used. There are a billion five FPs out there and not too many clean BSBs.

Just my .02

J>
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
FP or BSB

For me personally....

Advantages of the FP:
+ PAF Pros
+ Original JEM "feel"
+ thicker neck (front/back) and fretwire
+ vintage JEM looks

Disadvantages of the FP:
- no AANJ

Advantages of the BSB:
+ AANJ
+ less "pink" or 80s look
+ natural wood finish

Disadvantages of the BSB:
- Evolutions
- stain flakes off too easily (body and neck)
- thinner "new-JEM" neck

You can't go wrong with either one. You just need to decide what tone you want and if AANJ is important... glen
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

FP or BSB

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 2:54 pm on May 16, 2001

You can't go wrong with either one. You just need to decide what tone you want and if AANJ is important... glen
I guess what I want is more PAW & less UZ, thinner neck and bags of harmonics. *The bottom line is whichever I choose I'll be a happy bunny, to me Jems are like curries, sex & chocolate...so much variety, very pleasurable & rarely dissapointing (Jem jr anyone!)

If I bagged an FP would there be much scope to shave a little of the neck profile?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
FP or BSB

Quote:
If I bagged an FP would there be much scope to shave a little of the neck profile?
I don't think you would want to do that. Most FPs have a profile between the original 777s and the newer 7s... glen
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

FP or BSB

Thanks for everyones input. *I had decided to go for a 77FP and was about to close the deal when I was suddenly offered an BFP out of the blue (forgive the pun!).

Well, I've bought it! *Should be here in a week, but just curious...what do you guys think? *I know Kenny will approve! :biggrin: * I guess when money allows I will probably try & track down another FP. *Man, this is sooo addictive! *

Thanks...

Mikey
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 01:23 PM

FP or BSB

Congrats man ! Good decision, i play a BFP for about ten years and she never left me alone.

Tags
clear coat , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode