Fp2 unstable tuning - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Fp2 unstable tuning

Hi,

I've recently bought a Jem fp2. This is my first guitar with a floating bridge.
I was so happy when it arrived, but the joy faded quickly; the guitar won't stay in tune. When I lower a note with the trem, it always stays flat after release. When I bend up, it stays sharp after release. I returned the guitar 2 times (this time they have changed the saddles), and now it only stays sharp after release (about a quarter note).

Am I too demanding or am I dealing with a bad Jem, I just can't say?

Thnx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Re: Fp2 unstable tuning

I had the same problem with a cheaper floating bridge guitar. Put some nut lubricant on the bridge posts where they meet the bridge itself. It worked wonders for me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Vendor

1 - lube
2 - lockdown procedure
3 - check the trem is not in contact with the bass side studs. They're using EZ studs in these are they're too big for the space, I have had some in contact [change to the much better Lo Pro studs]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Hi Johannness,
I recently bought one of these and same issue. It's an easy fix. Remove the trem and put a dab of chapstick on the trem posts where the trem makes contact. Re-install the trem, make sure it's properly locked down, and do some aggressive whammying to break in the springs. You should have no issue after that. PM me is you need a more detailed walkthru of this process. Good luck! Mike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 AM

take good care of it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
1 - lube
2 - lockdown procedure
3 - check the trem is not in contact with the bass side studs. They're using EZ studs in these are they're too big for the space, I have had some in contact [change to the much better Lo Pro studs]
This! it was my problem, check out rich's site for the right procedure.

Tags
fp2 , trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode