Fractal JS swirl - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
Quote:
Adobe Photoshop?
Yes! as in the effects were done in Adobe PS7 but it "is" on the guitar. This isnt a fake photo.
Look forward to more pictures to prove me wrong

Best wishes

Hehe sure, I can tell you without photos. Vinyl, I havent punhed the holes for the knobs or the straps posts. I have a $4,000 Roland vinyl printer, like wich is used to make Nascar/company stickers. This a whats called a vinyl rap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 12:11 PM

In that case that's an excellent idea!!!

LOL no wonder there are no holes

so what is the deal with the neck and the trem cavity?

can you show with more pictures how you applied it? did it get applied/stuck on in a number of pieces?

Cheers
post #18 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
In that case that's an excellent idea!!!

LOL no wonder there are no holes

so what is the deal with the neck and the trem cavity?

can you show with more pictures how you applied it? did it get applied/stuck on in a number of pieces?

Cheers
Back from lunch...

The neck is just sitting there, I havent clear coated yet so I didnt want to damage any of the vinyl by setting it in all the way. Same with the trim, no reason to put it in untell it's time I just reasted the parts there for the pic. The white you see under the trim is where I havent put back the black fome.

Well thats the trick to the hole process, its done in two parts (2 very large stcikers) with 3M vinyl, very strong stuff. But as you know you cant just take a flat plane on apply it to a 3D object and that's the trick I would like to leave out. If I ever were to offer this to people. As Darren once said "Swirlings been around for ages, I'm just the first person to swirl a guitar."

Vinyl has been around for ages, I'm just the first to completly cover a guitar in it. Looks as though I have taking swirling to a new media and the things you can do! I can rap anything you would like in any color, photo, graphic, etc.. I also can do glow in the dark or florescence, how about a screen cap of your fav. movie? Game etc..

As you can see I'm very happy about figuring this process out. And it does help to have the printer
post #19 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 04:54 PM

Awaiting the Romanoff JS3, 4, & 5 copies.....
post #20 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 1
i'm wondering....will this be more prone to fading than your average swirl paint job?
post #21 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon
i'm wondering....will this be more prone to fading than your average swirl paint job?
The process uses Resin thermal, it is UV proof, water proof and scrach proof. The Resin is applyed at a 1000 F.

iain, if I have a lagre enough jpg of it, yes I could.
post #22 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:55 AM

I think......

I will wait for the 3d tessalation applique, then I'd like to see a 3d landscape say in bryce, and followed by a nice Penthouse pinup.

The possibilities are limitless....want an agent?
post #23 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 11:57 AM

So when you say you used 2 very large stickers, I presume you mean one for the front+sides and one for the rear. How does it look where the edges meet. Very noticeable?
Bert
post #24 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
So when you say you used 2 very large stickers, I presume you mean one for the front+sides and one for the rear. How does it look where the edges meet. Very noticeable?
Bert
If left as is you can see where the pattern meet. You can over lap them about 2 inchs over what you need and then slice in a non straite line ( to through peopls eye's off) and you wont see it. Or you can camo the meeting zone with air brush.

Thing to keep in mind is people look for a seam that meets at the side or center, so if you cut along let say the red swirl and made that your seam, no one would see it. On a Jem it dont matter because its flat so you put the seam at the edge. On a JS you have to hide the seam because how curvy it is and there is no "side" as it rounded on the sides.

I can post pics to show you what I mean I you like? You'll have to wait tell I get off work though.
post #25 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 02:46 PM

Seems cool, but NOT TOO cool like a REAL SWIRL.
Anyway, you're a swirler too......
Great job!
Tubarão
post #26 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubarão Guitars
Seems cool, but NOT TOO cool like a REAL SWIRL.
Anyway, you're a swirler too......
Great job!
Tubarão
Real swirl? What is real? Swirl is a pattern. I know what you ment

Being that I have swirled with paint and now this, guess with I like better. I can put cool effects in my fratal swirls plus if someone wanted it done they could send in a pic of what they wanted or pic from a random swirl pattern and see it before its done. Say you want a Donnie

Do you think people wouldnt like it because it wasnt dunked into a tank of water with paint floating?
post #27 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 03:55 PM

OK, thanks for answering the seam question. Now here's another question: for material finishes, it's recommended that the body be stipped down to bare wood. That is because glue adhesion to anything but raw wood is apparently unreliable. At least, that's the way it's described on Project Guitar http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm? and elsewhere. So do you think the same is true with applying the vinyl?
post #28 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Vendor

To be serious, there's no way a printer will capture all the eye appeal you get with a good swirl, it may look fine in a picture from feet away, but in hand the difference would be night and day. And no, I for one do not want to see more copy donnies floating around.
post #29 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 05:04 PM

Your vinyl "fractal swirls" are a lot like fake breasts:

Sure, they LOOK ok from a distance, and they may be amusing to look at. But, as soon as you have one in your hands, it just leaves you thinking "what's the point?". I'll take the real thing 100% of the time. There's simply no substitute for REAL works of art!

It's like comparing a PRINT of a VanGogh to the real deal. Cheap filler with no artistic integrity behind it. The fact that it potentially opens up the door for even more fraudulent copies of other graphic guitar makes the idea even less appealing.

Just an opinion though
post #30 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
OK, thanks for answering the seam question. Now here's another question: for material finishes, it's recommended that the body be stipped down to bare wood. That is because glue adhesion to anything but raw wood is apparently unreliable. At least, that's the way it's described on Project Guitar http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm? and elsewhere. So do you think the same is true with applying the vinyl?
Yes, this was done on a sanded down body. I'm using a 3M vinyl that is very tacky (100 mph vinyl like what is used on autos).

Tags
acoustic guitar , atd swirl , clear coat , darren wilson , dot inlay , dot inlays , double cutaway , electric guitar , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , herc fede , herc swirl , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , pickup ring , pickup rings , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode