Fractal JS swirl - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Rich wrote:
To be serious, there's no way a printer will capture all the eye appeal you get with a good swirl, it may look fine in a picture from feet away, but in hand the difference would be night and day. And no, I for one do not want to see more copy donnies floating around.
To tell you the truth given a scale to go by Real (as in paint) being 100% and printed being (as in your HP deskjet) The is 90% like paint. This IS " Resin thermal" not your home HP printer, go to www.rolanddga.com and take a look at the specks. As you see it in the photos above, so it is up close. It is very cool. And no, no Donnie remakes

Your right its not real paint, but that donít mean it doesnít look cool. Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand? Nope, it's not cost affective. Also I would like to state I never said that this was better then that. I was trying something different. Good thing I didnít let my son draw on it with markers, could imagine what you guys would have said.

vaijem777, I'm sorry, I respect your opinion but your being very close minded. Sure a electric guitar isnt an acoustic guitar but there are good things about both. Same in this case. The way it looks in them pics is the same way it looks up close. "REAL" works of art? My art professor would be truning in his grave if he read that, you mean this type of art does not appeal to you. I guess Dreamworks should pen and paper. "fraudulent copies" I wouldnt not copy anybodys work, I could but I wont.

I'm sorry you guys feel this way, hell I feel like a man running a guntlet with people tossing rocks. I was just showing a new way to costume your guitar. I regret post it now. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS

Your right its not real paint, but that donít mean it doesnít look cool. Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand? Nope, it's not cost affective.
Sorry to burst your bubble but they were all painted, one at a time. There's a reason they were the most expensive Ibanez you could buy in 92'

No matter how good the printer, the end result is only going to be as good as what it's told to print
post #33 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 06:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i'm not into veneers of anything, but a photo can easily capture what is painted, especially primitive paintings like on the ibanez guitars... those are not exactly what i would call "brilliant' in artistic merit. Grade-schoolers could replicate them and if steve/joe played them people would go bonkers over them.

your mileage will vary ...glen
post #34 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand?
Wow...way to do your homework!

There's no need to regret posting- what you've done is mildly interesting, and certainly different. But- you're here among people who appreciate the work of ATD and the artists who did the original JS graphics. Why? Because each one is completely, 100% unique and has a certain ammount of blood, sweat and tears put into it. That in itself creates a product far more interesting than one that is created with a series of mouse clicks and the press of a "Print" button. The accuracy of whatever you can print off will not change that simple fact. Technology is still no subsitute for the purity of unique, man-made works of art.
post #35 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS

Your right its not real paint, but that donít mean it doesnít look cool. Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand? Nope, it's not cost affective.
Sorry to burst your bubble but they were all painted, one at a time. There's a reason they were the most expensive Ibanez you could buy in 92'

No matter how good the printer, the end result is only going to be as good as what it's told to print
Ok, I didnt know that. I stand corrected.

Oh your last statement made no since. Art is an eye of the beholder, some people love 3D art. Other posters said it was cool, so I guess they dont matter?
post #36 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
You guys seem very... Defensive, why? Can someone whos dont have a white and blue tag chime in?
I don't think anybody's being defensive- we're just being HONEST.
It is what it is: you have an expensive, specialized printer and you're attempting to digitally reproduce a very unique art form. It's about as welcome as an all-techno, no-guitar Steve Vai album would be.
post #37 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
i'm not into veneers of anything, but a photo can easily capture what is painted, especially primitive paintings like on the ibanez guitars... those are not exactly what i would call "brilliant' in artistic merit. Grade-schoolers could replicate them and if steve/joe played them people would go bonkers over them.

your mileage will vary ...glen
Obviously you'd be laughing hidiously walking through the MOMA, but since you own the site we'll let you have your opinion, even though it lacks taste
post #38 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
LOL. something can be cool (pleasurable to the eye) but still lacking in artistic excellence. the two are mutually exclusive entities ...glen
post #39 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Vendor

And something can posess the highest degree of artistic integrity and still make you puke
post #40 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Thank you Glen, and you are right. If Joe and Steve played them, everyone would think they were the best thing since sliced bread. You gave me an idea. I'm going to post the photos over to Joe's site and get their take.

I was never trying to sway anyone from anything. This was just a "hey look what I did.
post #41 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Vendor

Try vai.com, not alot of swirl lovers on Joe's site

Hell, give Stevie a Jem with a piece of chrome mylar on the front and look how everybody gets

No offence HDS, but have you ever had a real ATD [a good one, not some crap GMC either] in your hands?
post #42 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Try vai.com, not alot of swirl lovers on Joe's site

Hell, give Stevie a Jem with a piece of chrome mylar on the front and look how everybody gets

No offence HDS, but have you ever had a real ATD [a good one, not some crap GMC either] in your hands?
Yes, many moons ago, back in 93. They are nice. Wish I would of picked one up back then. I remember some showing up at pawn shops, some LGM and Pink ones even BFP's. This was in Albany, Ga. I guess the rednecks didnt like the colors and pawn them after they had their fill. But being a big Joe fan I didn't buy. *kicking self*. And they were priced around $700.
post #43 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:02 PM

Back to the original thing, I like HDS's idea...ok, so it's not a unique swirl, but the technique can make your guitar look cool, and that's what matters...I'm not a big fan of colours used on this one, but I can see some potential behind this idea, although i'd have to look at one from up close to really form an opinion...I really can't see a problem with putting a computer image on a guitar as long as it looks good in the end...
post #44 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Vendor

There's no "problem" with any of it, but as an alternative? A real swirl will run you $450 out the door. How much cheaper would this be before it becomes a realistic alternative? Whatever you do besides a swirl negates the whole equation, but, you're showing a faux swirl
post #45 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Back to the original thing, I like HDS's idea...ok, so it's not a unique swirl, but the technique can make your guitar look cool, and that's what matters...I'm not a big fan of colours used on this one, but I can see some potential behind this idea, although i'd have to look at one from up close to really form an opinion...I really can't see a problem with putting a computer image on a guitar as long as it looks good in the end...
Yep, potential. there is so much more that can be done, I just made a swirl to show for the site plus I like them. I first started with a celtic knot work rapping all around the guitar.

Rich, my cost was $60, that was for the Resin which is $15 a pop (printer holds 4 standerd colors and two spch colors like gold and silver. The vinyl is like $40 per 40 ft roll.

Tags
acoustic guitar , atd swirl , clear coat , darren wilson , dot inlay , dot inlays , double cutaway , electric guitar , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , herc fede , herc swirl , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , pickup ring , pickup rings , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode