Fractal JS swirl - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:13 PM

Lest my interest in HDS' vinyl technique be misconstrued... I agree that trying to reproduce Rainforests, Donnies, etc. would be pointless and ill-advised. I have no interest in that sort of thing. But I've been experimenting with material covers using altogether different designs (including some pretty cool hand-painted fabrics) and HDS has suggested another approach that might be worth investigating. This is just for fun on non-collector type guitars. Also, my little boy wants his mini-guitar covered with dinosaurs. Hey, if that'll keep him interested, why not? This is all for fun, right?
Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
Lest my interest in HDS' vinyl technique be misconstrued... I agree that trying to reproduce Rainforests, Donnies, etc. would be pointless and ill-advised. I have no interest in that sort of thing. But I've been experimenting with material covers using altogether different designs (including some pretty cool hand-painted fabrics) and HDS has suggested another approach that might be worth investigating. This is just for fun on non-collector type guitars. Also, my little boy wants his mini-guitar covered with dinosaurs. Hey, if that'll keep him interested, why not? This is all for fun, right?
Bert
where were you earlyer!
Yes, point etc! Your son may like Transformers, that can be done. Also, you can use florescent vinyl and glow in the dark. The print is opake so it would make the colors glow.
post #48 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:24 PM

It's not a huge trade secret, I worked in a sign shop for years, we covered guitars out of boredom LOL.
It's kewl, I see nothing wrong with doing this, the FP, BFP, JPM, they were all either fabric or prints. Even the USCG's were silk screened to reproduce them.

However, in the case of a swirl, I'll still take a real swirl, I have to admit, it lost alot of it's "cool" factor when you said it was a print. I actually covered my old RG7620 in a print of the PAW swirl, but, I got bored with it, and peeled it off, I never did clear it.
post #49 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
Yes, many moons ago, back in 93. They are nice. Wish I would of picked one up back then. I remember some showing up at pawn shops, some LGM and Pink ones even BFP's. This was in Albany, Ga. I guess the rednecks didnt like the colors and pawn them after they had their fill. But being a big Joe fan I didn't buy. *kicking self*. And they were priced around $700.

Man, I wasn't doing guitars in 1993, that's kewl to have an LGM guitar there

ps, I think you mean LNG
post #50 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
Yes, many moons ago, back in 93. They are nice. Wish I would of picked one up back then. I remember some showing up at pawn shops, some LGM and Pink ones even BFP's. This was in Albany, Ga. I guess the rednecks didnt like the colors and pawn them after they had their fill. But being a big Joe fan I didn't buy. *kicking self*. And they were priced around $700.

Man, I wasn't doing guitars in 1993, that's kewl to have an LGM guitar there

ps, I think you mean LNG
Hehe, really I thought I saw ya there behind the fake Gibsons?

LGM, you worked in a sign shop so you know that the printers can really pump out some nice stuff. Lets forget "swirls". But you did think it was cool didnt ya I'm sure you could air brush a swirl if you wanted to, seen your post over in the R/C forums
post #51 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Vendor

I went to the major sign and graphics trade show in Orlando every year up till 2001 and I've never seen anything from a printer that could compare to hand work. Looks fine from 10 feet, but not up close
post #52 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I went to the major sign and graphics trade show in Orlando every year up till 2001 and I've never seen anything from a printer that could compare to hand work. Looks fine from 10 feet, but not up close
It really depends on your color pallet on how it looks up cloes, if you work in the CMYK range there is no pixleating, in time they will nail it. Nothing can ever take over hand done stuff but there are somethings you just cant do by hand.
post #53 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Vendor

I'll believe that when they invent the printer that can reproduce the Bible on pages the size of a grain of rice, till then, hands win hands down
post #54 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I'll believe that when they invent the printer that can reproduce the Bible on pages the size of a grain of rice, till then, hands win hands down
When that happends, mice everywhere will be so inlightend.
post #55 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:04 PM

Nice job

I think it looks cool! I dont think he's looking to go down in history he's just trying to make a unique looking guitar. Real swirls and real painted Js's are one of a kind and no one will ever touch the workmanship.
But you dont have to bring the guy down so hard.I dont thik he ever ment to compare his vinal against and real swirl or Js, He just made a Cool
guitar and wanted people to see it and maybe even make a few bucks from some people that dont mind that its not 100% real or hand painted.
I think you did a great job dude. Dont sweat all the criticism.
I think there being a bit hard on ya!

Come on guys give the guy a break!!
post #56 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Vendor

NObody is being *hard*, everyone is giving their *honest* opinions, see, that's what we do here
post #57 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:16 PM

OK

Yeah i guess you guys always got the answer.
Just my opinion though.
post #58 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:32 PM

I think this is a cool idea. Bravo. Please let us know how it affects the sound.
post #59 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
HDS

It was getting hot in here, but it's all good. I have already got pm'ed by someone asking about gettin git done. But I wont do anything like that untell I'm 100% happy with it. Untell the clear coat is done I wont know.

The sound should be diffrent, it's got no paint hehe. So I have no idea how that will change it. I guess I will find out.
post #60 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 1
lets face it, with paints, your options are limited. This new process after some evolution could give us the opportunity to put graphics, swirls, and effects on our guitars that we could never even have imagined. Look at the possibilities. It would be cool to be able to preview a swirl and make little tweaks before anything is ever applied to the guitar. I truly think this technology is a hint at the wave of the future.

Tags
acoustic guitar , atd swirl , clear coat , darren wilson , dot inlay , dot inlays , double cutaway , electric guitar , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , herc fede , herc swirl , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , pickup ring , pickup rings , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode