Fractal JS swirl - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 12:21 AM

That guitar looks good.
It's probably different than paint, but it's still as much as an 'art' as a traditionally-painted body. I personally like it and who knows some people may like it better than the 'real' swirls.
I say continue developing this 'technique' as much as you can to perfection. If the one time capital cost really is only 4000$, you can make a good business out of doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Wow, thanks guys for the support. I will keep working on it.

It really is very cool in person. I could also sell the printed vinyl to people to do their own refinish job. Find or make a pic, I print it out in the template, send it to ya with how to guide. Easy as that.
post #63 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Vendor

Not to sound like the heavy hand again but this is starting to read more like an advertisement than a check out what I did.
post #64 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Not to sound like the heavy hand again but this is starting to read more like an advertisement than a check out what I did.
Ok, Ooooo ahhh..Dont it look nice.
post #65 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Vendor

I definately don't think it would be wise to sell for home installs though, if you remember the first time you worked a large piece of vinyl you'll know why. Expecting somebody to get decent results the first time they work it is pretty iffy, no matter how easy the directions read. Vinyl you learn by feeling it, and screwing up till you develop the feel especially if you're doing stretch and heat shrinks which I gotta figure you had to do on the JS. Took me 8 hours the first time I had to do a warranty vinyl wrap on the bumpers of a 97? Cougar SE's. 4 or 5 later I had it down to 4 hours. I made alot of ching doing those, I was the only guy in the area that would touch them so I hammered em' $350 a pop. And Mercury actually paid it [which means I probably should have charged more]
post #66 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
I definately don't think it would be wise to sell for home installs though, if you remember the first time you worked a large piece of vinyl you'll know why. Expecting somebody to get decent results the first time they work it is pretty iffy, no matter how easy the directions read. Vinyl you learn by feeling it, and screwing up till you develop the feel especially if you're doing stretch and heat shrinks which I gotta figure you had to do on the JS. Took me 8 hours the first time I had to do a warranty vinyl wrap on the bumpers of a 97? Cougar SE's. 4 or 5 later I had it down to 4 hours. I made alot of ching doing those, I was the only guy in the area that would touch them so I hammered em' $350 a pop. And Mercury actually paid it [which means I probably should have charged more]
Well I was kinda joking. Working with a very large pice is nurve racking at times. Yes, you have to heat shrink on a JS, not the funnest thing in the world mind you. Getting any bubbles out is also as fun =p I didnt do the water slide trick, didnt want water on my bear wood. Would stink to sell for home use and someone go to apply and over lap the vinyl on its self then ask for a refund.
post #67 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 02:27 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
Working with a very large pice is nurve racking at times. Yes, you have to heat shrink on a JS, not the funnest thing in the world mind you.
You should try an SE bumper sometime
post #68 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
Working with a very large pice is nurve racking at times. Yes, you have to heat shrink on a JS, not the funnest thing in the world mind you.
You should try an SE bumper sometime
Now that I will pass on
post #69 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 02:39 AM
Vendor

Curiosity got me, and I can't believe, they were 93's! Can't believe it was that long ago! They had a double 2" wide grooves across the whole front you had to wrap in and out of and still keep the top edge straight against a 5 line fade, working a 10" roll dry. The corners weren't much fun but when you finally got to the sides it was a breeze
post #70 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
But- you're here among people who appreciate the work of ATD and the artists who did the original JS graphics. Why? Because each one is completely, 100% unique and has a certain ammount of blood, sweat and tears put into it. That in itself creates a product far more interesting than one that is created with a series of mouse clicks and the press of a "Print" button. The accuracy of whatever you can print off will not change that simple fact. Technology is still no subsitute for the purity of unique, man-made works of art.
I'm surprised at the negative reaction received by this guitar; I think everyone agrees that this is a cool new technique, but as to the distinction between art and fake...

...if the guitar looks cool, or evokes the right reaction from the viewer or player, why is that not art? Is it not possible to pour blood, sweat, and tears into a paint program? When the first guy to create a paintbrush came along, did all the troglodytes say "no, that's not art, 'cause you're not etching hieroglyphics the hard way, with flint and soapstone?" My history may be slightly inaccurate.

Also, hand craftmanship aside, I fail to see the greater artistic merit in the results of dunking in swirly paint vs. generating the swirl via some other means. Fractal-based designs are a form of mathematical art that you will never acheive by hand.

My 2c! (...edit: typos galore)
post #71 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 08:34 PM

Not to sound like the heavy hand but this is starting to read more like an
"how i did work on a cars bumper" than "hey look at this guitar"

i thought a couple of these guys were not very nice at all but you kept
your cool, which i respect more than 2 guys trolling on you

keep up the great work and please show off anything else you do...it will
be appreciated...atleast by some of us
post #72 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Vendor

It was a small discussion on why the untrained should not try this at home.
post #73 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Yes, I and Rich were pitching back and for about not selling just vinyl to people because it can be complex dealing with a large sticky, floppy, vinyl decal, which is something to think about. But if you really felt you wanted to give it a try.

But yes they were poking me I think it comes down to purest, or fear of change? I got the same response when I did the swirl tutorial, so I expected no less from this. The whole truth is I wanted something different and thatís what I did. I also like to share; I never plan to amass great wealth from anything I do. Would I do it to someoneís guitar? Sure once I have it down to a science, I would love to. I had a guitar shop today ask me to bring my work in because they need a refinisher that can do what I just did; they said people have asked for this type of work. So there is a market for it.

Letís talk about guitars!
post #74 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 02:20 AM

Quote:
yes i know what it was, i was just giving you a little bit of what you were
dishing out
post #75 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehYam
Also, hand craftmanship aside, I fail to see the greater artistic merit in the results of dunking in swirly paint vs. generating the swirl via some other means. Fractal-based designs are a form of mathematical art that you will never acheive by hand.
i second that.

Tags
acoustic guitar , atd swirl , clear coat , darren wilson , dot inlay , dot inlays , double cutaway , electric guitar , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , herc fede , herc swirl , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , pickup ring , pickup rings , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode